Traveler Guitars???
Close

Traveler Guitars???

This is a discussion on Traveler Guitars??? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I know some people here play guitars a bit so was wondering.... I want a small traveler acoustic guitar for on the road. I've seen ...

Traveler Guitars???

I know some people here play guitars a bit so was wondering.... I want a small traveler acoustic guitar for on the road. I've seen foldable-collapsable-mini-jigsaw puzzle-etc etc.... Has anyone had or tried any of these?
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

I haven't tried any of the folding ones, but I have a martin backpacker that I take with me on road trips. It works great.

do you want to actually make music? or do you want to practice? If it is just for practice I have played around with one of these:

https://jamstik.com/

and it's surprisingly fun. Way more expensive than you probably want to spend.

I hear good things about the overhead folding guitars but they are a fortune.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    I haven't tried any of the folding ones, but I have a martin backpacker that I take with me on road trips. It works great.

do you want to actually make music? or do you want to practice? If it is just for practice I have played around with one of these:

https://jamstik.com/

and it's surprisingly fun. Way more expensive than you probably want to spend.

I hear good things about the overhead folding guitars but they are a fortune.
    Just wanna pick around the fire on bike trips. I looked at the Martin Back packer and it was a love it or hate it review. Some really bashed it. I've worked on guitars forever so if it's a tweak and tune thing I'm good with it. Right size though. Some of the foldy, bendy, ones are HUGE money. Like gibson/martin money. Made from carbon fiber or pressed angel feathers or some shit. I'll have to see if I can find a back packer close enough to me to try one. Might I ask what you paid for it? Thanks

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

My backpacker was an x-mas gift, but considering most of my music gifts come from sam ash (since I am a NYC'er at heart) it was probably around $200). My local used music instrument shop (music go round) usually has them right around the holidays used for $100-$150. They are always a fast sell.

So here is what I like about it:
    - Neck shape is pretty nice. Nice wide shallow U.
    - takes conventional strings.
    - unique sound. Seriously go listen to people play them on youtube it has kind of a nice sound that is easy for singalongs. I think Deer Tick's cover of Lou Reed's Hanging Round is a good showcase because it is juxtaposed against a full bodied acoustic.

Things I don't like:
    - Flat fret board. Actually I learned to play classical guitar first so I don't mind this so much but moving from an electric with a slightly arched fingerboard to this thing throws me sometimes for like a minute.
    - it's weak on the base tone. It doesn't have a big body so it doesn't resonate the low E as much as something bigger. It's still a balanced tone and plenty of songs will sound great coming out of it, but I wouldn't be hoping for something bass heavy to crush you under it's weight.

Not a travel guitar, but a nice small acoustic guitar that I really like the sound of are the fender Malibu CEs and the Akaline Trio artist series. They use a neck like a strat but on an acoustic. They are a full scale but the body is tiny, like a 3/4 scale. For it's size it has a wonderful robust sound. The Akaline trio one is easier to find than the Malibu CE but they are the same guitar, just one has a comp stripe and one has a nice figured wood body.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    So here is what I like about it:
    - Neck shape is pretty nice. Nice wide shallow U.
    - takes conventional strings.
    - unique sound.

Things I don't like:
    - Flat fret board. Actually I learned to play classical guitar first so I don't mind this so much but moving from an electric with a slightly arched fingerboard to this thing throws me sometimes for like a minute.
    - it's weak on the base tone. It doesn't have a big body so it doesn't resonate the low E as much as something bigger.
    I play allot of different necks from GibsonJ185 to DoBro I settle into them pretty easy. With the lack of any real body I'd be surprised if it did have bottom end. Maybe fiddle with the string gauges a bit and try and squeeze a bit more out of it. Found one an hour away with case,strap and humidifier $150.00 CDN. That's cheap for here. Gonna do it. Thanks for the info.

Steven,
    Not really a backpacker but, I have a Baby Taylor that I think is a fine guitar. 3/4 size, very lightweight and plays great. Good tone and volume for a smaller guitar. 300 bucks new so 150 or so used. Bought it for my daughter but I'll grab it every time and leave my old ovation balladeer on the wall.
    Bill
    '68 t120, '75 cl360, mini trails and ct70's.
    Guzzi Ambassador gone

Sponsored Links