Is this project worthy?
Close

Is this project worthy?

This is a discussion on Is this project worthy? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; The bike (1982 CB750K) was given to me by a family friend. It was generous, but I'm a sport-bike enthusiast. I already have a bike ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jyn

Is this project worthy?

The bike (1982 CB750K) was given to me by a family friend. It was generous, but I'm a sport-bike enthusiast. I already have a bike that I ride everyday (zx12r).
    I figured I'd take this bike just to mess around on. However, I recently saw pictures of the cafe style CB750's & I thought it would be a good project to get more familiar with the mechanics of working on a bike.

I'm being told by a builder in my area that it would cost "thousands" of dollars to make this bike into a cafe (by myself). Why? Because it isn't a 70's model. "It wasn't made to be easily interchangeable to a cafe racer."

So, my question is - can I get this bike anywhere near decent/sporty/cafe looking (cb750cafe.com style) without spending "thousands"?

I'm not into old cruisers, or any cruiser for that matter. So if this isn't a project that can be done on a budget, then I'll end up parking this bike.

Thousands? I don't think so, it can get very nickle and dime though, but what project isn't. Heres a Very nice K model done out http://www.cb1100f.net/modules.php?n...ighlight=super

And heres my project, mine is a C model https://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4171

22/m
    1980 Honda CB750
    1972 Oldsmobile 442

My friend (catboy) is working on a '79 & it's starting to look pretty damn cool. Hasn't spent any real money yet, because his talented dad is doing a bit of the work. I'll post pics if he doesn't mind.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

it is possible to spend thousands but you don't necessarily have to do so. It all depends on how crazy you want to get and how much your bike already needs. The big ticket items are always big bore kits and custom tanks. If you can make the stock tank and sidecovers work for you, and don't mind about the motor being a stocker then you are off to a good start. The more work you do yourself the cheaper it gets since labor is the most expensive part.

Still, with tires, shocks, some form of rearsets, bars, and seat you could get to $1000 in no time but it is spent over time so you may not feel it as much. This is also assuming that your bike doesn't need much beyond regular service items (battery, plugs, oil, etc).

for good shocks check out vipex performance, nice price and set up fot DOHC cb750/900/1100s. Seats - check ebay (1hotwing sells a nice generic bubble back).

quote:

I'm being told by a builder in my area that it would cost "thousands" of dollars to make this bike into a cafe (by myself). Why? Because it isn't a 70's model. "It wasn't made to be easily interchangeable to a cafe racer."

So, my question is - can I get this bike anywhere near decent/sporty/cafe looking (cb750cafe.com style) without spending "thousands"?
    OK well I'm spending thousands on my bike but most of the money is on Painting ($1000) and a new Tank ($1000), the other $1500 is on all the bling bits, new, bars, velocity stacks, chrome guards etc.. high lift cam lighter flywheel.
    But for me it's cheaper than a newride and in the end I'll have a newer ride.

HOWEVER I could have done the whole lot for under $1000 if i wanted to do it on the cheap.

quote:
    My friend (catboy) is working on a '79 & it's starting to look pretty damn cool. Hasn't spent any real money yet, because his talented dad is doing a bit of the work. I'll post pics if he doesn't mind.
    post that shit!

...thousands might not be too off the mark depending on what you want to do, what needs to be done to do it, and whether or not you or someone you know can do a vast majority of it. wise men make good freinds of talented fabricators with lots-o-tools!

NCNR

catboy's '79 cb750 (in progress):

If I'm not mistaken, he's spent money only on clip-ons so far, aside from normal maintenance items. Much less than $300,eh? And $10 for an eBay spoke wheel. Save your comments about the tank. His dad, whose doing that part, is a magician. I've seen other stuff he's done.

Edited by - judeyramone on Jun 12 2007 3:40:47 PM

I figured the tank was a placeholder for sizing, myself...I think the bike is going to be pretty cool...

My own project:
    https://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2827

hey its all good,as long as your building a bike its ALL GOOD.The other side of the coin is you better ride it ,its really what its all about.
    I like things made one off or put together differently and I like different and if you cannt do it ,I do appreciate the effort to attempt to do it....again its all good! cafe the street and cafe the nation....at least till 2012 when the Mayan calander runs out.

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

thanks, g...

NCNR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links