the last ascot national 1/2 mile 1991
Close

This is a discussion on the last ascot national 1/2 mile 1991 within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; these guys could probably win any kind of 2 wheel race...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: the last ascot national 1/2 mile 1991

these guys could probably win any kind of 2 wheel race
    knappyfeet and 44dwarf like this.

20$ to join! How old is that video? Those guys are probably as old as me by now

Great video! Brings back a lot of happy memories. Spent a lot of time there as a kid.
    Don\'t cry because its over. Smile because it happened

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofhearted View Post
    Great video! Brings back a lot of happy memories. Spent a lot of time there as a kid.
    thats awesome how close was it to home ?
    if w e only ever looked at still pictures of flat track racing ,a person would have no idea it is so much shukin' n jivin' slippin' sliding
    and often ,very often saving the front with throttle, weight transfer and that outside elbow high and proud ,the key to control and feel

Quote Originally Posted by XB33BSA View Post
    if w e only ever looked at still pictures of flat track racing ,a person would have no idea it is so much shukin' n jivin' slippin' sliding
    and often ,very often saving the front with throttle, weight transfer and that outside elbow high and proud ,the key to control and feel
    I lived (still do) in Riverside. It was maybe an hour away depending on traffic. When I was 17 or so I worked for K&N Motorcycles (before they became K&N Filters). They ran a Goldie at Ascot. I was allowed to go with them as an apprentice rag carrier. Enjoyed the sprint cars too.

Quote Originally Posted by XB33BSA View Post
    Growing up in Yorba Linda, Downey, etc.......they were plentiful back in the day. Now they are all gone. Is Pomona still going?

Heck.....even the horsetrack days are numbered. Hollywood Park is gone. They been flirting closing Los Alomitos for years......I grew up selling newspapers there!

When you stip and think about how much SoCal has lost over the years its pretty sad. Santa Ana, Colton, Fontana, Riverside, Long Beach, San Gabe, Ascot etc. Pomona runs drag racing twice a year. I think they run a flat track once a year there too. Bikes and sprint cars are still going out in Perris. I like it. Good track and its about 45 mins. from my house. Land speed racing at El Mirage is the next to go. The BLM have threatened the SCTA with getting rid of them. The BLM have been looking for an excuse to get rid of the SCTA for a few years now. The SCTA is on probation there right now. One more infringement and they'll be gone. I'm just surprised Moonbeam hasn't banned racing period.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofhearted View Post
    I'm just surprised Moonbeam hasn't banned racing period.
    I think he was even more nuts his first time around than today. I don't really remember but my father bought land in Adelanto in fear he would outlaw off roading forever. We still own it to this day and who would of thought that 40 years later......here we are again.

Adelanto has a nice little track and if I remember correctly they do a Adelanto gran prix......or did

what about saddleback ?what is it now freeways?
    it is sad i think all motor racing is good for people to enjoy
    its especially good for children and the events, being fans of or racers ,can really bond a family because it is real ,it is deep reality ,you feel it,smell ,laugh and cry over it ,all in one day
    i love the sprint cars the world of ouitlaws came to my hometown track every year still do
    drag racing it is impossible to explain to anybody what its like to be in proximity of a launching top fuel car
    not you regulars but for anybody else if you never seen top fuel in person just go, before they fuckin ban it it is so intense you swear it could kill you just by well it turns the whole backround horizon into a vibrating heatwave that you cannot see through
    oh well lookee now we got reality tv shows

Saddleback park is gone over 20 years. I know there are a couple of motocross tracks still around. But I'm not a big follower of motocross. Perris is a great half mile dirt oval. When it comes to drag racing I'm from a whole different era. I come from a time when innovation and experimenting was allowed. Today's cars are spec cars. All the same. Variation is prohibited. Sure they're obscenely fast Kinda hard to explain. This video does a better job than I can.

Land speed racing is about the last bastion of if you can dream it and build it, you can race it. But as I said earlier its existence is in danger. Which will just leave Bonneville. Thank God its close by. I'm old so whatever happens I can at least say I did it. I feel sorry for young guys dreaming about racing. It may be gone before their dream can be realized.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links