New track toy. Forgive me Ducati faithful, for I have sinned.
Close

This is a discussion on New track toy. Forgive me Ducati faithful, for I have sinned. within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; No idea what section this should go in so here it is. Ohlins shock, Ohlins fork, Ohlins steering damper, OZ forged aluminum wheels, Aprilia factory ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: New track toy. Forgive me Ducati faithful, for I have sinned.

No idea what section this should go in so here it is.

Ohlins shock, Ohlins fork, Ohlins steering damper, OZ forged aluminum wheels, Aprilia factory Akra titanium exhaust and accompying tweaks, 120ish hp V twin. And all for under $4k. What's not to like?!

I'm a huge Ducati fan. I haven't owned anything else for at least 20 years. I've given riding buddies major razzing for riding Aprilias. But come on, how can you not be interested in that?

I had every intention of building up a 900ss or M900 Monster into a track bike. Upgrade the front end. The wheels. The shock. Then I did the math and the upgrades alone would cost more than this was listed at.

This morning I made the 1.5 hour drive to see it. took an Aprilia-owning buddy with me. Didn't even bother starting it let alone riding it, gave him what he was asking and signed the title. I wasn't even ready to transport it today so I left it with him, but over the next week or so he's going to gather the misc parts he has for it, and probably next weekend I'll go retireive it, the rearstand, the cover, and all the misc bits he has for it (stock exhaust, etc). The problem is, I haven't got room for it in my shop right now so I'll have to leave it at a buddy's house for a while.

Looks like it's time to start doing track days again!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DesmoDog; 01-27-2018 at 03:41 PM.
    WERA689 likes this.
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

Nice buy! These things are a steal lately.

jcw
    Always love them track toys. Amazingly clean from the pics.
    Whats your plans?

Around here, the v4 tuonos are amazingly affordable too.

There's always a couple listed for just under 8k but usually the 2012's.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

the 60 degree engine has always felt like a ducati with something wrong with it to me. they have a harshness to them that i don't like. most who won them love them though.

Pretty sweet deal! Very good looking machine.

Quote Originally Posted by brad black View Post
    the 60 degree engine has always felt like a ducati with something wrong with it to me. they have a harshness to them that i don't like. most who own them love them though.
    I've never ridden a V-twin Aprilia so I may end up feeling the same way. Full disclosure - The original idea was to pull off all the trick stuff that could be made to fit a Ducati and part out the rest... Any idea what it'd take to get these forks/wheels to fit a carby 900ss??? I'll be looking into that as soon as I have the bike in my hot little hands.

Most likely I'll be fine with it though, and the bike will only see very basic mods to make it entry level track worthy for the near future. I'll probably just pull the signals and tape up the headlight for the first one, but I'd like to get another set of bodywork and a few other tweaks eventually. I hadn't planned on buying anything this soon so the toy fund is in a bit of disarray right now. I envision pulling off all the stock bodywork, the Akra exhaust, and making it more crash worthy as time goes on.

It's been 17 years since I've been on the track with anything. The last time I did this was on a brand new 996 in the intermediate group and I felt like I had a bullseye on my back for all the hotshoes and wannabees. I was SLOW.... It'll be nice to be the old(er) guy on the weird bike this time out. No one will give me a second look and when I'm slower than a slow thing no one will notice. I'll be starting over from the novice group just like the first timers so it should be a lot less nerve wracking this time around.
    WERA689 likes this.
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

jcw
    I used to go out to Gingerman in New Haven, but haven't been in years now. Never been to Grattan.

If you ever feel the desire to come out to Illinois (Autobahn CC in Joliet), you have an open invitation to trailer next to me if you want the company.

This year I'm planning to go at least 4-5 times provided I don't crash and burn again.
    Last edited by jcw; 01-28-2018 at 02:54 PM.

depends on what ohlins they are. some are 53/53 and some 53/56. don't recall having measured any of them. all the aprilia showa i've had apart are 53/53 long adjuster rod like the ducati sbk, and the same ball bearing head bearings. be like fitting any ducati ohlins into the ss i expect.

they have a non familiar vibe to them. i serviced a tuono once that i think had a loose clutch basket and it had a horrible vibration off idle. on the road i was scared to rev it too hard - had that might let go feel about it. owner got it back and said it just revved straight to the limiter smoothly. had to take his word for it - it must have been horrid before.

Well, in for a penny and all that... I ordered bodywork for it from Yoyodyne at around 1:30am. Nothing like late night to get you into the "screw it, I'll sell something to pay for it all" attitude.

I can imagine what you're talkiing about with weird vibes. Having spent so much time on Ducatis there are probably a lot of subtle things I'm used to that I don't even realize. Should be an interesting first ride. It's gonna suck if I think this thing sucks. One of these days I should ride a bike before I buy it.

Turns out that a friend of a friend (who knows the original owner of this bike) is a huge Aprilia fan and has offered to help set it up. He's done a lot of track time on his though a while back he had a nasty crash (IIRC a magnesium wheel failed, on his Aprilia, and he went down hard). This time around he's bought a pretty serious R1 racebike off a team that's updating. Plus an R6. And a large enclosed trailer. For trackdays. Why not another Aprilia? No clue.

JCW - thanks for the invite, we'll see what the year brings. I had my 996 at Gingerman back in 2000 or 2001. Had it at Grattan before that. The things I learned at Grattan - the 996 throttle had a longer throw than I was used too. The bike goes much faster when you open the throttle all the way. Figured that out on the second or third lap coming on to the front straight. Also realized the reason I was so whipped after one session. I was so tense I was even trying to hold on to the footpegs with my toes. I was literally curling them in my boots. Things got a lot easier when I relaxed!
    WERA689 likes this.
    -Craig

"It's been 17 years since I've been on the track with anything. "

Be careful as the track day riders are significantly faster now than 17 years ago! Heck, even 5 years ago! Good idea to start in Beginner's but you will quickly want to move up. There are now typically two levels of Intermediate, you'll feel right at home in the lower Int after a few sessions. Great bike, GREAT price!!!
    WERA689 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links