what engine choice for project bike. - Page 2
Close

what engine choice for project bike.

This is a discussion on what engine choice for project bike. within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by jcw Why EFI? Carbs would simplify things as far as packaging and wiring. I like the SV650 suggestion. Tons of custom framed ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: what engine choice for project bike.

Quote Originally Posted by jcw View Post
    Why EFI? Carbs would simplify things as far as packaging and wiring.

I like the SV650 suggestion. Tons of custom framed sv650's...
    If 2 or less carbs, i'd be willing to consider but, honestly, i'm tired of messing w/ carbs.

Is this not vintage to you? Need more info on what your goals are...
    attachment not working so can't see what you're referencing.

If not vintage, then why? buy any modern supersport from 2004 on and race. to build a modern track bike is a waste of time unless you have super mega resources or money or you are building some supermono lightweight...
    because i already built a vintage bike. I wan't to make something w/ a more modern engine and styling.
    Why build instead of buy? because i'm not building for ultimate performance, i'm doing it b/c i like the challenge and process of designing and creating things and I want something that doesn't look 100% like everything else. bike is intended for the street, OP should have said "gp/track style'.

You build anything like on this page of custom frames SV650's and you will be a god here...

You attempt to build a britten you may end up the butt of jokes...

What's your background? Have you built a frame before?
    This may be an example of learning to walk before you run.
    Ha! the GB reference was a joke.. I already took a beating here when I signed up a few years ago! I have a project thread on this forum on a cb550 i did a few years ago when i knew absolutely nothing.

have i built a frame before? Does this count??

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-02-03 at 10.16.41 AM.png
Views: 123
Size:  310.8 KB

background = qualified. can tig/mig weld and use a mill/lathe and access to cnc....I was in charge of an FSAE team(open-wheel rwd race car w/ f4i motor)and designed and built a large portion of the car, understand wiring, understand fuel mapping, understand suspension geometry, etc...

couple of those sv's are pretty cool.... i'm looking to do a trellis style frame so likely stressed motor so whatever I go with would ideally already come from a bike w/ a stressed design or there's been enough customs done w/ that motor in a stressed design that it's been shown to not implode on itself. this thing is really early stages, at this point it consists of engine w/ custom frame/tank/seat/ etc and as many other custom parts as possible. will involve an actual design process, not gonna just start mixing/matching parts....aware of geometry and weight balances issues, etc....

jcw
    IMO, your first attempt at a trellis frame, you want to keep the power at a manageable level.

You put a TL1000 engine in there, it'll likely twist like hell. And be shit at the track.

Besides, more power, more torque, more weight, heavier frame, more weight, bigger/heavier wheel and tires, more weight, worse handling, more weight.

Get where I'm going???

- - - Updated - - -

Don't use a motor as a stressed member whose cases weren't designed for it.

That's stupid.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Don't forget the SV1000 engine is a detuned TL, in case you can't find a proper TL.

jcw
    Again, IMO, you are not going to build a track bike that compares in power and handling with an even not so modern supersport.

To think you are is folly.

So, build something they don't. A killer superllight mono. Moto3 bike.

I would think about a KTM 690. Honda CRF450, Suzuki DRZ whatever.

This was not a bad bike...
    Last edited by jcw; 02-03-2018 at 11:09 AM.
    nic579 likes this.

jcw
    The motorcycles with truly stressed engine cases aren't really trellis frame, IMO.

The new Ducati Panigale V4 is a good example.
    https://www.cycleworld.com/behind-bo...v4-tech-review

The Yamaha FZ-07 maybe a partially stressed member.

At no point did i ever say i was going to build a track bike that rivaled what honda or anyone else is currently doing or say it had to be 1000cc....i mean, i'm talking about using 15 yr old f4i suspension. again, NOT ABOUT PERFORMANCE. just a solid bike i can have fun building and riding. I understand the potential hazards of being overambitious here. not looking to die. just looking for engine suggestions.

i get where you're coming from given the history of the type of people that typically ask for suggestions on this forum but, i am not the idiot that you seem to think I am.

older ducatis w/ trellis are definitely stressed as are sv650s w/ trellis frames. and yes, i am aware of potential issues of using a nonstressed engine in stressed situation, hence my qualifier comment about them. and if someone happens to reccommend an engine that seems cool but would be horrible for that then I'd look at designing a frame to cater to that engine's needs.

Also, mechanical engineering degree here and while that doesn't make me an expert I have understanding and experience using mechanics,, kinematics, stresses, load paths, FEA, yada yada to design things that have actually been manufactured and used.

anyways, engines.....

Go modern or stay home:

Attachment 84409
    TrialsRider and Andyshep like this.

jcw
    So you want to take suspension components off a good bike and an engine off another good bike and put it in a frame that's not about performance just because you want to and you want us to be excited about it?

Methinks you might want to rethink that idiot statement.

Ok. I wish you the best...

Honestly sounds like anyone who comes here not so much looking for advice but justification for what he wants to do.

Im sure you'll build a very pretty bike.
    Last edited by jcw; 02-03-2018 at 04:42 PM.

So you want to take suspension components off a good bike and an engine off another good bike and put it in a frame that's not about performance just because you want to and you want us to be excited about it?

Methinks you might want to rethink that idiot statement.

Ok. I wish you the best...

Honestly sounds like anyone who comes here not so much looking for advice but justification for what he wants to do.

Im sure you'll build a very pretty bike.
    hahaha dude get off your podium already. i know you think it's helping but your dick is not getting bigger the more you try to insult me. following your logic, no one ever, would build any custom bike b/c well, the manufacturer already did it better. how bout this. just to appease you, i'll design my own full front suspension from scratch, machine the legs, the damper valves, hell, i'll even make my own fork fluid. would you be satisfied then?

jcw = whitworth????
    Last edited by bfont52; 02-03-2018 at 05:44 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links