honda is kinda confusing sometimes....
Close

This is a discussion on honda is kinda confusing sometimes.... within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Anybody know why honda would have 2 different part numbers for the same part on the same make/model/year bike? I am looking at the carb ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anybody know why honda would have 2 different part numbers for the same part on the same make/model/year bike?

I am looking at the carb intake rubbers for the 1976 cj360T and honda has 2 parts numbers listed for the same part and both are listed as available. otherwise the part looks identical. Any idea why they did this?

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I guess it is possible the part was updated, I have ran into this a few times when working on cars

Hey someone pas me the wrench........ Ahh screw it where is the torch

Geets,
    Typically an old parts book will show the bike serial numbers for the update. ie. Part #1 good for xxxxx - xxxxx and part #2 good for xxxxx - xxxxx etc.
    See it quite a bit in the late 60's parts books. I think either part will fit in a lot of cases but the serial number reference is there anyway. Sometimes there was a sizable update where the parts won't interchange...but usually you'll notice numerous other parts in the same category with different part numbers.
    JohnnyB

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

they will supercede part numbers, but keep the numbers active. so say if you order 000043, and the new number is 4567....you will get 4567. happens all the time. the obvious answer i think is with a illion different schematics out there, they cant just ditch one number and add another. im sure there is a good reason for changing the number. i mean, they are honda.

jc

the thing is this doesn't look like a superceeded part number. I was looking at honda parts direct's fiche and it literally shows both parts on the fiche. Normally when there is a superceede it is indicated in red on the part number.

yeah, i dont know how true that is. or i guess how often ive seen it. but i do agree with branson. i had originally written that you see it with carb parts alot for some reason. at least on the cb350s. the numbers are all over the place sometimes. again i think they keep the same numbers in the system as a favor to people with old bits. why they initially change the number i dont know. inventory or something.

jc

Geeto,
    Honda uses a 3 part part number system. The first 5 digits describe the kind of part,i.e. all head gaskets will have the same first 5 digits 12251 for instance. The next 3 digits are the product code for the original use i.e. 369. The last series of digits are used to distinguish variations in the parts. 000 is the original part, 010 means it has been modified once but is interchangeable with the original. However it can also mean a difference in manufacturer, i.e. ND points might be 670 and Hitachi points might be 671. Honda also will put a color code or size into the last series of digits. If you already knew this about Honda part numbers, nevermind.
    How different are the part numbers? Honda may have used two different suppliers of rubber parts. I believe either part will work fine and by the time you actually order them they may have both been superceded to yet a third number.

AHRMA 412
    Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

Geeto,

What part is it that you need--the rubber part that goes between the carb and the aircleaner, or the rubber part that goes between the clyinder head and the carb?

I need both of those too for my 75 CB360T, which has become my favorite bike--rode it 50 miles yesterday in the woodstock ride.

What is the difference between a CB and a CJ. I see lots of parts listed for the CJ.

Do you have a link for the parts list?

Thanks,
    Jack

jack,

the cj is the stripper cafe racer model of the cb series - kick start only a wide ratio roadrace style five speed instead of a close ratio 6 speed, a 2 into 1, braced frame, and bodywork that looks like a 75-78 cb750F. It is also lighter than the cb360 and cl360. Other than the no starter and the 5 speed the motor is the same as the cb/cl 360s. The CJ is kinda rare because it was only made for 2 years 75-76, and only in one color (dark red with blue and gold graphics). The part I need is the rubber going from the carb into the head.

Ken,

that is the weird part both par numbers have a 000 third set of codes:

http://www.hondaparts-direct.com/fic...ion_detail.asp

one is: 16211-369-000
    the other is: 16211-403-000

both appear on the fiche picture. The later looks like it takes an o-ring while the former uses a gasket. my only though on this is they changed the design mid season and offered both parts. The later part because of the o-ring is also 71 cents more expensive.

if you look on the fiche it is both part #8 and part #9.

Not quite on topic but I have always noticed that there are few interchangeable parts on earlier Hondas versus a brand like Suzuki. The explanation I was given is that it was a mark of honor to design parts for motorcycles and each Honda engineer/designer left their imprint on the parts they designed by having them specific to a particular model. Supposedly that's why parts are interchangeable between odd models (points on a CB450 working on an early Goldwing for example) and not on other bikes that would seem more likely. Of course that could be complete BS and the real reason is Honda had the cash flow to have a large parts inventory where Suzuki had to be more frugal and use generic parts across several model lines. This seems likely as Suzuki started to shed some of their interchangeable parts as their sales grew with the 4 stroke GS series bikes......

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links