Unpopular Opinion: Iron Butt on a modern bike
Close

This is a discussion on Unpopular Opinion: Iron Butt on a modern bike within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I noticed an iron butt license plate frame on a modern fully dressed bike today and had a thought: While still challenging, it's considerably less ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Unpopular Opinion: Iron Butt on a modern bike

I noticed an iron butt license plate frame on a modern fully dressed bike today and had a thought: While still challenging, it's considerably less impressive when someone completes the iron butt challenge on a brand new cruiser outfitted with all the comforts of modern technology.

It's far more of an achievement for someone to complete the challenge on a naked cruiser or sport bike/tourer... windshield optional.
    Quote Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

Not on point I know but it's something that I just wouldn't get into. Maybe 30 years ago. I did some sun up to sun down days back then on a bone stock 67 Bonneville. We did a couple 700+km days on the big ride this summer and even that was less than enjoyable by the end of the day. Took a motel just to make up for it. I know I could do it. I just don't know why I would do it. Hookers and beer? Nah even that would be 30 years ago.
    woodsman likes this.
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

Did New Orleans to Austin on a 500 back in the early '80's, 500 miles, never rode that far in a day since.
    Last edited by woodsman; 08-14-2018 at 08:20 PM. Reason: brain and fingers out of sync

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

jcw
    I thought it was a rite of passage for the BMW touring guys.

Speaking of, see the BMW baggers?

I would do Chicago to KC and back (500m each leg) about twice a year when i was in school. On a Zx11 it was a hoot. I think about doing it again once in a while, maybe when I get done with trackdays...
    Last edited by jcw; 08-14-2018 at 04:45 PM.

my issue with the challenge itself is that i feel that the risks increase exponentially over the course of the challenge as fatigue mounts... far more than in a car/truck.
    Fuck all of you guys. Get into your little circle jerk and have fun. Thought this may be a pretty cool message board but damn, you guys are assholes.

Although 1000 miles in 24 hours is difficult I agree that it's easier on today's machines.

The bun burner 1500 is tougher for older fat guys like me....even on a comfy bagger or Wing. Maybe the SaddleSore 2000 or 3000 is tougher on a bagger. Either way 1000 miles in 24 hours is still quite the accomplishment.

So do you want to seriously ride the thing or make a big deal out of sitting on it all day
    Trials riders never sit down and we measure travel distance in vertical feet.

unless you do it on an SL90, you just went around the block for a six pack
    CaTacL1sm likes this.

While working as a Dispatch Rider between 1987 and 2002 I covered in the region of 1.1 million miles.
    Clocked up 800 miles a day a good few times, not sure I'd have wanted to do more than that though.
    Other than the cold the hardest thing was trying to keep concentrating, sometimes it was hard enough to just stay awake.
    CaTacL1sm and Geeto67 like this.
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"

Every rider has a point at which they transition from taking risks to straight gambling
    Geeto67 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links