1980 Suzuki Good Deal??? - Page 3
Close

1980 Suzuki Good Deal???

This is a discussion on 1980 Suzuki Good Deal??? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; lol i was thinking the tempter was a decent deal at less than 2k i know zero about them ,it should be a clue i ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 1980 Suzuki Good Deal???

lol i was thinking the tempter was a decent deal at less than 2k
    i know zero about them ,it should be a clue i guess that the engine design was not held onto for many model years?
    i could look it up but what is it about the tempter besides the "funny" name

Quote Originally Posted by XB33BSA View Post
    lol i was thinking the tempter was a decent deal at less than 2k
    i know zero about them ,it should be a clue i guess that the engine design was not held onto for many model years?
    i could look it up but what is it about the tempter besides the "funny" name
    Overall - there is nothing really wrong with them other than you can't get a single part for them, or at least you used to not be able to. They use this weirdo dual mass flywheel too that everyone was nervous about coming apart, but really they just suffered shitty suzuki electronics and head gaskets. They don't handle particularly well, they don't handle bad either but for the monoshock I guess you kind of expect better. They were bikes built to a price point during a time when people were rejecting motorcycles so there were always better bikes to buy for the same money in the used market.

I liken them to the 1978-1983 cb450 honda hawk - it's a bike that's pretty good at being basic transportation and not good at anything else. What's funny is they have a cult following overseas for exactly that reason - good basic transport that's easily accessible. The yonly imported them to the US for 2 years but the lasted near a decade overseas. There is no aftermarket for the bike in the US but there are guys building GR650 based customs overseas like this scrambler:

Name:  Suzuki-GR650-Tempter-Scrambler-3.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  420.5 KB

If I lived in a country where they were more plentiful they would be appealing as cheap transport. In the US, $2K can buy you so many other better, faster, bikes.

at least one person in Australia races one in flat track:
    Name:  1986-suzuki-gr650.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  81.2 KB
    Last edited by Geeto67; 08-28-2018 at 03:49 PM.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Insulting huh? Lucky for me I'm old enough to now give a shit about your opinion.

I was just trying to steer the OP away from ANY pile of junk, non running motorcycle. He is a 20 yr old with no previous motorcycle experience.

In the end I think most of us here who have experience know that any inexperienced individual is probably going to fail if they buy a box of someone else's junk. Start with a running bike, whatever that may be, and they are more likely to end up with a running motorcycle.

But a BSA, come on man. Surely that was a joke. If not, that is more insulting than the Tempter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Norton 357 View Post

But a BSA, come on man. Surely that was a joke. If not, that is more insulting than the Tempter.
    No it's not
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

I would think that a GS500 would be a better alternative to the 650 Tempter. Cheaper used and plenty of salvage parts available.

For fucks sake ANY RUNNING BIKE would be a better option than that parts bike GS850 piece of shit he ended up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Norton 357 View Post
    Insulting huh? Lucky for me I'm old enough to now give a shit about your opinion.

I was just trying to steer the OP away from ANY pile of junk, non running motorcycle. He is a 20 yr old with no previous motorcycle experience.

In the end I think most of us here who have experience know that any inexperienced individual is probably going to fail if they buy a box of someone else's junk. Start with a running bike, whatever that may be, and they are more likely to end up with a running motorcycle.

I was joking about it being insulting, don't take it seriously. Although the tempter was one of those bikes where for the longest time the nicest thing someone could say about it was Meh. Everyone is so uptight on this forum now, what happened?

It seems the base price for a running bike in dallas, any running bike in dallas is $2K, which kinda sucks, but it is what it is. They have a year long riding season down there so I'm not surprised.

The BSA wasn't a joke, its a cheap project and the kid wanted a project. the BSA actually has an aftermarket where he can buy 90% of the parts he needs. This kid is out to make a bad decision and nobody can stop him and he isn't going to listen to reason. He's got it in his head he's going to build something out of junk because he's got something to prove, and I'm pretty sure he has $0. At least with the BSA there is some residual value as a parts bike or project - the GS has none of those things.
    Last edited by Geeto67; 08-29-2018 at 08:43 AM.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I agree with you that the OP probably doesn't have the money to buy a running bike and that buying a pile of junk is not going to work out for him either. I would never encourage a newbie to buy anything non-running.
    And yes the prices on used bikes in his area does seem high. In the end though we all know how much it will take to get a broken down POS to run. Hell, if it's free it's not a good deal most of the time.

I was poking at you a little about the BSA. I would take on something like that but i have owned them in the past. A young mechanic like him probably doesn't have Whitworth tools and the
    knowledge to finish a project like that.

As for the Tempter, that was just something I saw in his area that was running and was all there. I wouldn't buy it, but I have 40 yrs experience and can take on more extensive projects if I want.

Again I say, for those just starting out, get a running bike to start with so you have a base from which to work. If it doesn't run when you get it, it could have been butchered by the PO and will be nearly impossible for the inexperienced mechanic to fix.
    Geeto67 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by j4mison View Post
    honestly, I've been looking on my craigslist, (Dallas, TX)
    Widen your search area, it cost very little to rent a pick up for a couple days. Under $1000 and decent requires a lot of looking and by the time you find "the one" you've tied up another $500 in T&E. Buy a decent, running bike with good aftermarket, bolt on, supply. Make it mechanically sound, ride it, upgrade, ride it, make it pretty, ride it.

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    Everyone is so uptight on this forum now, what happened?
    Well... I've been cobbling together a swingarm and its giving me fits.... my riding time is limited by my spine which makes me more surly than normal if you can believe that... but worst of all, I've been watching the fucking news.

What has Jag been up to since his bride got him to get rid of all his motorcycles? Assuming his balls are safely tucked away in her purse.......
    XB33BSA likes this.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links