Has Thus Ever Happened To You?
Close

This is a discussion on Has Thus Ever Happened To You? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Bear with me on this. The day before I left for Bonneville in August I got a message on FB from a friend asking if ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Has Thus Ever Happened To You?

Bear with me on this. The day before I left for Bonneville in August I got a message on FB from a friend asking if I wanted some Weslake parts. I said sure but I'm heading to Bonneville in the morning. Can I call you when I get back? I get back and go collect what was most of a 350 Weslake that had been destroked to make it a 250. But a lot of useful parts none the less. Fast forward a couple of weeks. I'm on the Weslake forum on FB asking some questions about the engine.

Another FB friend gets into the discussion and during the course of talking he tells me he has a 641 cc Weslake. Huh? I run a 540 cc Weslake in my LSR sidecar. It's been more successful than I could have dreamed. But being 110 cc short of the limit was always in the back of my mind. I had to ask how he got the engine to that size without serious re-engineering like moving the crankcase studs etc. He then sent me a bunch of photos showing me that it could be done without all that work. I started to think I have a donor crankcase and a cylinder. All I need is a crankshaft and a head and I'm in business

Fast forward a few weeks. I'm watching superbikes on TV with the FB page open. I get a message from Malcolm about the 650 Weslake. I told him I was on my way to making one. He comes back and say he'd like me to have it. "Cool. How much? "(hoping I wouldn't have to take out a second mortgage) He says 'No, I want to give it to you". Wait, wait, wait. People don't do things like that. Especially with a valuable engine. He said he had been following my "exploits" at Bonneville and wanted to help. I kept looking at his message thinking this is Sept. not April 1st.

The engine arrived a couple of weeks ago and I keep looking at it thinking what the hell? Clean as a whistle. All good parts. Jawa Rod and big end. Mahle piston in excellent condition Looks like new valves. I'm thinking this must be what a lotto winner feels. Still can't believe it but I am very grateful. I don't know how many times I said thanks but it still feels inadequate.

I'm really looking forward to Bonneville next year.I think the only acceptable reason for not going would be death.
    Don\'t cry because its over. Smile because it happened

Maybe you should buy a lottery ticket.

I guess sometimes you are just in the right place and time. That looks like some awesome equipment to get for free!

I have an old buddy from WERA racing days that just moved to Cali and is playing around with and old Moto Guzzi at El Mirage. He went 142, I think, on his old vintage race bike MG at Bonneville a couple of years ago.

Good luck with the 650. I will be watching to see how fast that beast is.
    Hoofhearted likes this.

Well that qualifies as one of life's nice little surprises. Even if Bonneville gets rained out, you can sit there at your work bench with a glass of wine and bask in the glory. Now that you have an abundance of engines, you just need some kind soul to stop by and drop off a wideline frame and maybe a couple of alloy rims laced to Fontana's.
    Hoofhearted likes this.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Norton 357 View Post
    Maybe you should buy a lottery ticket.

I guess sometimes you are just in the right place and time. That looks like some awesome equipment to get for free!

I have an old buddy from WERA racing days that just moved to Cali and is playing around with and old Moto Guzzi at El Mirage. He went 142, I think, on his old vintage race bike MG at Bonneville a couple of years ago.

Good luck with the 650. I will be watching to see how fast that beast is.

Thanks Norton 357. I feel like I won the lotto! I was out at El Mirage last weekend. I spotted this Guzz1 at tech. Your buddy's Guzzi?

Last edited by Hoofhearted; 10-26-2018 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    Well that qualifies as one of life's nice little surprises. Even if Bonneville gets rained out, you can sit there at your work bench with a glass of wine and bask in the glory. Now that you have an abundance of engines, you just need some kind soul to stop by and drop off a wideline frame and maybe a couple of alloy rims laced to Fontana's.
    All of a sudden I found myself up to my eyes in Weslakes. That's not a complaint. lol Earlier this year Scott Autrey put his unmolested Otto Lantenhammer up for sale. I really didn't have a plan for it. I thought about it for a couple of weeks and then caved in and called Scott. He still had it and I bought it. Wasn't cheap but how often do you get a chance to buy a genuine OL Weslake? I hurt the piston in the one in the sidecar at Bonneville. Had an oil pump failure. And the one that started it all years ago is still in the Norton. It's a wideline with alloys but no Fontanas.

CaTacL1sm and Norton 357 like this.

Saying the engine looks excellent is a bit of an understatement. Here are a few photos that Malcolm sent me before he sent the engine. I never thought you could get the bore out to 97.5 mm without moving the crankcase studs. But you can. Barely,

I can totally relate to this, he doesn't need it any more, not hurting for finances, he recognizes your interest and passion for the thing, the average person would have no appreciation for such an item and would probably mistake it for an air compressor. Go fast and make him proud to have contributed.
    Hoofhearted likes this.

That motor looks like it was built like the proverbial brick shithouse. A bonus to have the little copper thingamajig instead of having to lap things together.....
    I assume his donation will provide some pressure and inspiration to squeeze out a few more mph. It'll up the fun factor.
    Hoofhearted likes this.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

I would make him cool sponsor stickers to put on your bike.
    Hoofhearted likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nic579 View Post
    I would make him cool sponsor stickers to put on your bike.

That's the plan. In very big letters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links