Tall man, shaped like giraffe, looking for advice. - Page 6
Close

Tall man, shaped like giraffe, looking for advice.

This is a discussion on Tall man, shaped like giraffe, looking for advice. within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by Geeto67 Le'ts re-frame the discussion: Why are you here? is it to learn and ask questions and solicit advice? or is it ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Tall man, shaped like giraffe, looking for advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    Le'ts re-frame the discussion: Why are you here? is it to learn and ask questions and solicit advice? or is it to get faint praise that validate your decisions even if they aren't the best decisions to be making because you want motivation? I imagine it is the former, but for some they don't realize it is the latter until they are in it and take criticism personally or to heart. Have some faith that when you start to do things right, the negativity will stop, but yeah you are getting a lot of negative now because you are doing or saying some things which many here from experience feel is unwise or unsafe.

I feel like maybe you are missing some context that those of us who play with very old motorcycles (and cars) have that you may not. Why are "original" vehciles more valuable generally than customs? the short answer is previous owners. With an original bike, even if time and entropy have taken their toll and warn out stuff - at the very least you can rely on the thing still working as engineered, and if it isn't the repair will often be as simple as following the service manual on diagnosing and replacing the broken parts. It makes working on stuff fairly easy. When something is modified, esp when it is modified poorly, the amount of work, expense, and time increase exponentially. Or in other words - the more the PO has fucked with something the more time time you are going to spend unfucking it.

In the case of your bike - you see a "vision" based on aesthetics and potential to lean, but most of us who have been down that road see a lot of work, and a lot of potential tasks that could have you swearing, cussing, and throwing money at fixes to the point where it might hurt your view on the hobby. Also let's face it there is some patently unsafe shit on that bike too. Trust me, every single person here wants you to have a positive and long lasting experience with this hobby, but everyone here winced a little when they saw that bike because for all the basic things you can see, we know there are at least 10 hiding. the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Do I think you bought the right bike? well you wanted a project, and this certainly offered you one. The good news is that it runs so you can keep it running while you mod stuff (blowing a bike apart is a rookie mistake - the only reason you need to take a bike down to the frame is to paint the frame contrary to what bike shows on TV will tell you). the more important question is - are you happy with what you bought knowing that it is going to task you with a lot of things outside of your comfort zone. The answer should be yes. Personally you wanted a custom so yeah this is a pretty good starting place.

But what about the price? again are you happy with it? I know I wouldn't be in my market, but I don't know your market. I can tell you in ohio that bike is at best a $2500 motorcycle, but if we were back in Brooklyn I could see someone paying $4K like you did just out of convenience of it being there. his is somewhat of a Pandora's box: do you want to learn the lesson that you might have overpaid for a motorcycle and let your enthusiasm get the better of you? or do you want to just stay positive and soldier forward and chalk it up as the cost of an education? the choice is yours, the people here commenting want you to learn that lesson for 2 reasons: 1) because it lets them feel saavy about their own motorcycle buying while discouraging people to drive the prices up of bikes that aren't worth it; and 2) they genuinely do want you to learn something and motorcycle values, esp the volatility of old custom motorcycle values, are a hard lesson to learn. Some people are big fans of tough love (I know I am sometimes), take all this with a grain of salt and keep the forward path in view and it will be fine. Remember you learn more from a negative than positive, so even the shittiest joke has something to teach you.

I think I gave you some pretty sound advice on this stuff, and it has spurred some interesting conversations. But this shouldn't be your only echo chamber for what to do. ADVrider forum is a good forum for airheads, and while some of us are there as well, you'll find a whole host of other people who can help you as well with different experiences. The BMW MOA site and the airheads owners club have always helped me as well. You are going to take some shit from people who would encourage your to put the bike back to stock, that comes with the territory - just keep in the back of your mind: it's not personal and they think they are helping you, so why not try and understand why they are thinking they are helping you because that is the fruit of knowledge in the rind of bitter commentary.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/forumdisplay.php?13-Airheads
    Home
    https://advrider.com/f/forums/airheads.85/
    Forums | Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
    I came to the forum because I was interested in buying and building a cafe racer. I figured the CAFE RACER FORUM might be a good place to start and especially (and specifically) about how to best find and modify a bike to fit someone of my stature. I am not a 19 year old kid. I'm 39 years old and a have done 2 frame off restorations of CJ7s in my own garage and grew up working on vehicles with my own 2 hands. I'm not sure I understand the assumptions or the array of references about the age references that seem to stem from the "good ole boys" that seem to be rule the roost here but I digress...
    As far as pricing, there are amazing modified custom airheads being sold by bike builders for close to $30K. Outrageous? Maybe, but if someone wants to pay that kind of scratch then good for them and kudos to the builders who can create a product that can command that pricing from a donor bike costing a few grand.

Anyway, moving forward I feel like I have enough information regarding the sub frame suggestions, and i'm sure the bike will have some surprises - or maybe not. Who knows if the previous owners chopped the wiring harness to bits or not, but I guess we will find out. I am still interested if anyone has ever installed a slightly longer mono shock as Geetos buddies at Down and Out emailed me in response to a question, and they informed me they are running a longer shock on the bike pictured on their website. I am still awaiting their response about details.

You can't control the internet. The best you can hope for is to ask your question and sift through the flood and resultant wreckage of information that comes back. If you try to exert control, it slaps you.

I am a jeep guy too, and I have restored cars as well. I can tell you restoring and modifying an old bike is nothing like a car because cars move in 2 dimensions and bikes move in three. Things that are normal and an improvement on a car like lowering or lifting are twice as complex on a bike because it doesn't just change the stance, it changes the dynamics and stability. An unstable car, well you may spin out it may vibrate, it will scare you a little, but you are in a car. raising or lowering a bike where you start to get into unsafe trail numbers? eh that's your ass sliding down the street. With any change in ride height you are going to want to recalculate the rake and trail numbers to make sure you aren't going somewhere unsafe.

some other things that change in a bike that don't in a car:

- gear ratio changes when you lean the bike over because the tire diameter decreases.
    - your wheelbase increases as the suspension compresses
    - your suspension will actually become more rigid since bike suspension only works up and down, and at a 45 degree angle any bump is being deflected rather than absorbed. This is why some bikes have engineered flex in them while others just rely on sheer tire grip to settle after a bump mid turn.

best of luck
    Last edited by Geeto67; 03-15-2019 at 02:41 PM.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Amazing to look or amazing to ride. I would bet that the hacked up bikes, cafe, scrambler, bobber, any of the grinder designs, regardless of how pretty, get ridden least. 10 years from now, those 30k BMW hackers with be virtually worthless.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Sappin it up? I miss that stuff. When we had company over for a treat I'd break out the Canadian Whisky and go to the tree and get the "mix". Scoop of snow, 1 part whisky, 2 parts maple sap. Canadian Coolaid.
    woodsman likes this.
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen J View Post
    I'm pretty tall and this is the perfect bike for a tall guy. Act now cuz it's goin fast hahaha. See what I did there? It is fast though...
    Attachment 97005
    Not fer nothin but I listed this bike and within days it was gone. Buyer was such a good guy, I dropped the price. It was more of an adoption than a sale. As we loaded it into his truck I knew it was going to a good home. Took the sting outta loosin it. Some younger folks still want a fast, functional, rideable bike and see the beauty in it. There is hope
    TrialsRider likes this.
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

jcw
    You build a bike for your audience, whether that is yourself or a client or a group of people you are looking to impress. Your audience determines how much praise they wish to heap on your creation.

This forum here is not so impressed with certain cosmetic changes especially ones that are done in spite of hurting the riding experience.

That's all...

New members tend to complain about how mean this forum is, rather than realize that the forum is not obliged to love everyone's creation.
    Last edited by jcw; 03-18-2019 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen J View Post
    Sappin it up? I miss that stuff. When we had company over for a treat I'd break out the Canadian Whisky and go to the tree and get the "mix". Scoop of snow, 1 part whisky, 2 parts maple sap. Canadian Coolaid.
    Tis the season.

It's not running very good today here, too cold
    but I do have ~ 60 gallons of sap so far.

... I like this one!

http://sideburnmag.blogspot.com/2015...w-kneeler.html
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 03-18-2019 at 02:01 PM.
    Stephen J likes this.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Sponsored Links