Tall man, shaped like giraffe, looking for advice.
Close

This is a discussion on Tall man, shaped like giraffe, looking for advice. within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Been reading through threads and figured someone (Geeto??) might be able to answer this question. I'm 6'6", 190lbs, 36" inseam. I have been searching for ...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Tall man, shaped like giraffe, looking for advice.

Been reading through threads and figured someone (Geeto??) might be able to answer this question. I'm 6'6", 190lbs, 36" inseam. I have been searching for awhile (especially after reading the thread where a few members suggested larger bikes for another forum member), and wanted to ask - any thoughts on a BMW R100R or a Honda CX550? Would either suit someone tall or I am better off sticking to the list below that Geeto posted years ago? I love the look of the BMW tanks and boxer style airheads, but are they large enough for me? This was Geeto's list:

cb750/900/1100F (F model supersports only! no K,L or C bikes)
    KZ900/1000/Z1R (again no LTDs or any other chopper looking crap)
    GS750/1000/1100 (no G models - basically if it looks like a factory chopper stay away - you want bench seats)
    Any tonti framed guzzi (lemans, T3, 1000s, etc)
    860GT and GTS ducati
    GPZ900/1100 (think top gun)
    VF1000F or VF1000R (even the 750 is ok, no 500s though)
    1986-87 ZX1000R ninja (750 is ok if you can find one)
    1986-87 GSXR1100 (750 is ok if you can afford one)

BMW fit large riders pretty good. Stay away from bikes with small wheels and short suspension,
    learn to fold up like a pretzel and you'll be just fine.

jcw
    Motorcycle Ergonomics

Awesome site. Maybe not 100% accurate, but...

Name:  06wi0615K8ScJUyUyUyUyUy0n.png
Views: 209
Size:  189.9 KB

Name:  06wi0671K8ScJUyUyUyUyUy0n.png
Views: 190
Size:  195.4 KB

Name:  06wi1123K8ScJUyUyUyUyUy0n.png
Views: 198
Size:  204.4 KB
    Last edited by jcw; 03-04-2019 at 08:27 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

An Airhead/Oilhead GS might fit the bill.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    TrialsRider, Stephen J and jcw like this.
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"

Quote Originally Posted by jcw View Post
    Motorcycle Ergonomics

Awesome site. Maybe not 100% accurate, but...
    That is a great tool.

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    An Airhead/Oilhead GS might fit the bill.
    Not a bad suggestion, but I definitely like the look of the R100R tank /bench seat design better than the GS. Something to consider though, thanks.

Used?
    The K series is nice, a little more compact but better for high speed long distance travel, can be had second hand for reasonable $ and still have great reliability, best rider aerodynamics available. Down side is they are a little light on front brake, hard to source good tires and the speedometer probably has not worked in a decade.
    Stephen J likes this.

It's not a comprehensive list by any means, It's just that I have personal experience with all the bikes on that list, and I am a taller guy at 6'5 and 34" inseam. I'll be honest, though, I've owned and ridden smaller bikes like Cj360T, cb450, vespa T5, multiple honda dream 305's, Nortons, etc... and I fit fine enough to ride them in stock trim but if I had to look at myself riding one I'm sure I'd feel like a bear riding a tricycle, in fact that is why I have bought 3 different dreams - I love they way they look and ride, but everytime I ride one into town I feel like I'm pushing a moped. Those smaller bikes though, once you put a small seat, rearsets, and clipons on them, they can get pretty uncomfortable, which is why if you want to ride a sporting bike, the list you found is a good starting place. I am surprised I don't have airhead bmw's on there, but it's probably because I didn't have one at the time and now I do - although to be fair I do hate my airhead's current riding position because it has a corbin seat on it and it's just too low without rearsets, if it had the stock seat I might feel different because I could slide back in the seat a little, but the corbin has me locked in a little too forward. I may try one of those vietnam flat seats just to see if it fits better when I can slide back.

Don't rule out new bikes too, I go to dealerships all the time and just sit on motorcycles to see how they fit. I love V7 guzzi's but they are almost a solo bike for me because of how far I have to sit back on the seat. I loved the SCR950 (the bolt based scrambler) but hate the bolt because of the low seat. Speaking of Yamaha, V-max is a can't go wrong muscle bike, but the XSR900 fits me like a glove - a little tight but the right kind of tight. I love the way the new sportster roadster looks but I can't even stand to sit on one on the showroom floor, yet the Sporty Seventy-Two fits pretty well, esp with forward controls. I love the new Z900RS and Z900RS cafe and they fit great, but I can't ride the new ZX10R because I get hip cramps right off the bat. Triumph's Thruxton R fits so great I am thinking about buying one to match my Ducati Sport 1000, and most of everything in their bonneville line is great but I literally can't ride the Bonneville bobber because it hurts my back and it's uncomfortable to turn the bars while sitting like a dog trying to shit on the carpet.

It helps to fill out your location, because if you were close to me in Cbus, I'd say meet me at Iron Pony and we would just go through and sit on a dozen or so bikes just to get a feel for what you like and should like. If this is your first bike, there is nothing wrong with financing a new or newish used bike and riding that. It sounds all badass and heroic to be "tinkering" and riding, but really I am most happy when my bikes work and I can ride them and less so when they are broken. For tall guys where motorcycling presents some limited options It's nice to get out on a bike that works and to discover what you like about the hobby. A lot of tall guys I know get into adventure touring because those are tall heavy bikes and they can kind of do it all (although not all well) which lets you take trips, do some light off roading, lean it over hard in a turn, and basically get a sample of what the hobby has to offer before diving into having a sport bike or chopper, or an old nail you are restoring.

TL;DR version: the point is to sit on as many bikes as possible to see what you like and how you feel. Also talk to other tall riders to see what they like. This way when you go to look at an old bike you can get a feel for how you are going to like it.
    Last edited by Geeto67; 03-05-2019 at 08:57 AM.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by imtheant View Post
    any thoughts on a BMW R100R or a Honda CX550?
    missed this part before.

R100R - you should look at. the more I learn about airheads, the more they look like the best riding of the aircooled bmws. Sure the aftermarket isn't there for custom stuff like it is for the earlier airheads, but the bike stock is just a way better bike overall. If you get one, don't do the hipster thing and cut it up to put a small seat and a seat hoop on it, ride it for a year and see how you like it stock. Also the thing I like about the 80's-90's airhead beemers is that they come pre-wired for neat stuff like heated grips, clocks, accessory ports, and 4 way flashers - and that stuff is fun to play with. If you have to have some "iron and air" twee machine, look for an earlier R80 or R100 monolever (1986-1988) - they have an aftermarket that sells bolt on subframes and seats (look at down and out's stuff in aus), There is some interchange with the old bikes esp in the seat area, and there are places like bmw cafe that sell vintage style fenders to make them look older.

CX500 - I despise these machines but it isn't because they are small and ill fitting. Stock they are fine, but cut down they are much smaller and ill fitting for taller riders. Why I don't like them is compared to the overwhelming number of aircooled machines out there, they come with some complex issues. And they aren't that fun to ride on top of it, at least not worth justifying the work involved in a triple bypass (seriously, look it up). yes they have a cult following, and they have become somewhat of a darling of the hipstergram "look at my unrideable art project" set, but they became that way because they were so dirt cheap at one point people would pay you to take them. Seriously, CB400Ts and CX500s were bikes I literally have owned for free because people wanted them out of their backyard. The frames are complex stressed member designs that some people have cut into without understanding the engineering that went into them, they were an experiment in stressed engineering for honda that mostly worked but removing things like fenders and such makes the bike ride worse fast, they have engines that are interesting on paper and less so in your right hand. The only thing going for them is that if you have a well maintained running one that bike will rack up reliable miles like it's a honda car. If you buy a nice stock running one, the best thing you can do it leave it alone and ride it till something actually wears out. If you let it sit for a while (say a year or more) you might as well throw it away. As for a custom one, if you held a gun to my head and told me I had to buy a custom cx500 or you would shoot me dead, I'm not saying that I would take that bullet but I sure would take a long time to answer.

If you really want a cx500 in the states...save your money and buy a nice, sorted running CX500 Turbo or CX650 Turbo. It's the only one worth having. If you feel like being mr different, you can go look for a eurosport cx500 or cx650 (basically a cx500 turbo chassis but without the turbo and the complex digital fuel injection) in a foreign country and then import it, but you wouldn't want to hipstergram mod it, just clean it up and ride it because it's a nice bike.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Geeto67 likes this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links