Thoughts on LED Headlight with Integral Turn Signals - Page 2
Close

Thoughts on LED Headlight with Integral Turn Signals

This is a discussion on Thoughts on LED Headlight with Integral Turn Signals within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I presume that I am invisible to other motorists, lights or no lights. I have a headlight modulator on my Buell Firebolt. 3 years ago, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Thoughts on LED Headlight with Integral Turn Signals

I presume that I am invisible to other motorists, lights or no lights.

I have a headlight modulator on my Buell Firebolt. 3 years ago, while on my way to work on a beautiful fall morning, a guy with whom I thought I had made eye contact, pulled out in front of me. Fortunately, I knew how to get off and low-sided into his car. Fighting to hold back tears, he said that he didn't see me.

That said, I believe in taking all reasonable measures to be seen.

I have read articles about motorists "looking through" oncoming vehicles (like motorcycles) and familiar light patterns, such as a single headlight with an amber driving light/signal on either side. One of these articles discussed the possible benefits of having an atypical or asymmetrical light "footprint", which may be more likely to get the attention of oncoming motorists than that they have seen many times before. This makes sense to me and may explain the reason that the guy who pulled out in front of me "didn't see me" (even though, in all candor, the oscillating headlight was surely not something he was used to seeing).

Last fall, I saw a guy with a single LED driving light attached to the bottom of the left fork slider of his bike. Combined with his OEM headlight and amber driving lights, it really grabbed my attention. I think that the bike in Geeto's post probably has the same effect upon oncoming motorists.

I plan to add a single driving light to the fork sliders of my bikes.

Again, thanks to all for sharing your thoughts.

If you get one get a good quality one.

Aside from poor visability....the one I had had problems with the LEDs in that some flickered and about 1/4 of them quit working.

Custom Dynamics (if I'm saying that correctly) have good ones. I think there are some bar-end ones out there in the market place somewhere.

Ews
    I had got one that was a cheaper plastic headlight. The light worked but the turn signals were a pain in the ass to get working with my wiring. But when you add new tech to an old bike there are bound to be headaches. IMO, dont buy headlight's with turn signals internal.
    Dream as if you live forever, Live as if you die today.~ James Dean

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I watched this last night and thought of this thread:

Doing some google searches I found that some Jeep JK and JL headlights work for bikes too.

Also this kept sticking with me:

I have read articles about motorists "looking through" oncoming vehicles (like motorcycles) and familiar light patterns, such as a single headlight with an amber driving light/signal on either side. One of these articles discussed the possible benefits of having an atypical or asymmetrical light "footprint", which may be more likely to get the attention of oncoming motorists than that they have seen many times before. This makes sense to me and may explain the reason that the guy who pulled out in front of me "didn't see me" (even though, in all candor, the oscillating headlight was surely not something he was used to seeing).

Last fall, I saw a guy with a single LED driving light attached to the bottom of the left fork slider of his bike. Combined with his OEM headlight and amber driving lights, it really grabbed my attention. I think that the bike in Geeto's post probably has the same effect upon oncoming motorists.
    based on that I disabled the running lights on some of my bikes so as to disrupt the balance of seeing two amber lights in front, even if one is static and one blinking. based on the test of having my wife stand 100 yards away and asking her if it was more clear that I was signaling it seems to be working, but I guess I won't know till I know, ya know.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Here's a Peterson 701C PAR56 (7" round) LED headlight mounted on my Honda. The bucket and bezel are from a Ural.
    This same light is also private-labeled as the Sylvania Zevo and was also previously sold as KC HiLites' original gen LED headlight.

Name:  IMG_7941.JPG
Views: 12
Size:  670.5 KB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links