Sunday motorsport in a parking lot - Page 2
Close

Sunday motorsport in a parking lot

This is a discussion on Sunday motorsport in a parking lot within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Good on ya for taking the time. For me I'd start in the yard. 4 acres to get the start stop shift balance obstacle maneuver ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Sunday motorsport in a parking lot

Good on ya for taking the time. For me I'd start in the yard. 4 acres to get the start stop shift balance obstacle maneuver thing down. The police dept isn't a bad idea actually. They might have some insight. Government buildings are usually closed Sundays. I`m in the stix as well so not much around but a car dealer in town closed a few years back and it`s been sitting empty. Lots of room to practice tight turns. Good luck with it.
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    Those pictures of posies that I took yesterday are in Canada...... from the land where folks ride all year. #geocentricthinking #wedon'tallliveinigloos #wearen'tallpolite
    Well isn't that nice. Woke up to snow this morning but yer flowers just made it all better. No really. /$"% "*
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen J View Post
    Well isn't that nice. Woke up to snow this morning but yer flowers just made it all better. No really. /$"% "*
    We may have to disown BC, they really are the weird sibling aren't they? I mean who the fuck does gardening before the 24th of May.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    We may have to disown BC, they really are the weird sibling aren't they? I mean who the fuck does gardening before the 24th of May.
    I hope you aren't referring to me with the gardening comment. The closest I get to that is making sure that the lawn mower will start for the bride.
    woodsman likes this.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

I really appreciate the input on this. I do worry that the younger generations will miss out on learning simple mechanical thinking that develops through playing on mechanical shit. I was shocked to find out they don't teach basic mechanical principle in school here any longer. Pullies, levers, fulcrums etc. I can't imagine not understanding those ideas.

I think I may have found a place to go and spend a good long day getting him going. About 40 mins from here is an old cold war base that the pavement is still in reasonable shape, according to local legend. However now that the word is spreading through his friends there evidently have been calls between parents who think there kids should knowing how to drive a motorcycle is a life skill (gotta love rural thinking), it may end up a bigger event. It could actually work out pretty well. We have many older riders, most ride the farting couches but they have a lot of miles of real world experience and time to spend on the further education. Nothing beats this place for businesses stepping up if the community is doing something so I'm going to put together a proposal that would have us (the not yet formed commitee) pulling together some community dollars, buy bikes and cars, teach the kids the basics and then raffle the machinery off, the proceeds goes to next years event. In my head the plan is brilliant, let's see what reality brings.

When searching for support, don't forget the manufacturers. Unfortunately, the farther off the beaten path you are and the smaller the numbers, the less likely it is that they will throw resources your way, but still worth a shot. Same for closer M/C dealerships if they are interested in cultivating younger customers. Is there a M/C organization that is involved in safety that would help out?
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoDog View Post
    Around here I would go to any of these;
    Industrial park
    School parking lot
    Sears/Big K/Etc parking lot
    Do the theaters near you operate on Sunday mornings?
    Ball field parking lot (no one is there off season, may be too late now I suppose)
    We've also got a private test track where I work but I suppose that's not a typical situation.
    When my wife wanted to get familiar with her first new bike, we went to the parking lot of a local college's satellite campus, which was originally built as an office park. Within 20 minutes a security guard came out and politely but firmly told us to leave the property.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanshanomi View Post
    When my wife wanted to get familiar with her first new bike, we went to the parking lot of a local college's satellite campus, which was originally built as an office park. Within 20 minutes a security guard came out and politely but firmly told us to leave the property.
    Liability laws at work there. I have never understood how me smashing myself, while having fun doing something dangerous, on your property is your fault and not my own. My Dad gave me shit one day, while I'm still whimpering, because I had lost control of my dirt bike while tearing through the neighbours property. I did a full swan left onto the fence row (read rock pile) the bike cut hard right and went through the fence on the other side of the lane I was on. It was one of those done for today thud to a stop deals. I was going to live so the only thing that matter to my Old Man was the neighbours fence. I was on his property (which was ok) so I was liable for any grief I caused the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    Ducatis and a test track...you are spoiled plain and simple.

<snip>
    Are Sears, BigK and such open Sundays in Michigan? K Mart had our favourite lot when we were young.
    Well at this place, "test track" is a straight section with loops on the ends, nothing fancy. When I was putting together my RD350 track bike I worked at a place that was on an old airbase. I did shakedown runs after work. An almost one mile long straight with taxiways. It just occurred to me the only place I've worked since college that didn't have some form of a track was Victory Motorcycles. We used the local airport when we ran the first prototype. As for my formative Ducati years, a guy could do a LOT worse than the roads around southern Indiana. (Unrelated but have to say it anyway - anyone who thinks there are nice roads in SE Michigan has never been on a truly nice road...)

All the Sears and BigKs around here have gone under. Permanently closed.

I didn't realize you were in such a rural area. Put the kid on an enduro and go nuts!
    Last edited by DesmoDog; 04-10-2019 at 02:13 PM.
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links