Sunday motorsport in a parking lot
Close

This is a discussion on Sunday motorsport in a parking lot within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; On the weekend I was talking with a kid from the area, he's 15 and wants to get a motorcycle licence when he turns 16. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Sunday motorsport in a parking lot

On the weekend I was talking with a kid from the area, he's 15 and wants to get a motorcycle licence when he turns 16. Kids in our area start driving things shortly after weaning but not many vehicles involve clutches. His Mother is not keen on a dirt bike and here there is logic in that thinking. Traffic on the roads isn't bad, so new riders don't need to deal with many things at once. Where as with stepping off a dirt bike out in the back country you could lay there a long, long time and that's his Mothers worry (aside from the usual). And as I have a daughter that ended up at the bottom of a ravine with her ATV while blistering through the woods by herself, I get it. Trail riding alone is common around here they cross 10's of thousands of acres.

So with the parents blessing I said I would get him going but he would still need to complete proper training. The problem today, with Sunday shopping, is where do you do it? Any large retail parking lots have traffic. At one time the mall/plaza parking lots were a hub of motor sport and learning on Sundays. My road bike experience began in a parking lot, first time I was leaning far enough to scrub a pipe, first wheelie, first time I really cranked the brakes to see what was going to happen...so I didn't need to find out in practical application. First racing, against the clock, in an SCCA slalom. First time in a non rental go cart, first shifter cart. I understand the fastest way around a track, why it's the racing line, because of riding in parking lots. It was where we experimented without physical obstacles to avoid until we knew how to avoid physical obstacles.

It's a real problem. If there is no grass there's no grass roots. And office car parks aren't quite the same, they are generally chopped up with lots of curbs. It's has got to be a problem for those parents who's kids will put down the smart phone. Where do you take a young person who wants to learn, a bunch of orange cones and a motorcycle (motorized anything) for those first Sunday experiences?

How far away is the proper training you refer to? They will have a location Y/N?... maybe you could use that if it doesn't take a day to get there.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Around here I would go to any of these;
    Industrial park
    School parking lot
    Sears/Big K/Etc parking lot
    Do the theaters near you operate on Sunday mornings?
    Ball field parking lot (no one is there off season, may be too late now I suppose)
    We've also got a private test track where I work but I suppose that's not a typical situation.
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    How far away is the proper training you refer to? They will have a location Y/N?... maybe you could use that if it doesn't take a day to get there.
    There are a few options for courses but everything is a couple hours away and because the courses are 2 days it means a hotel and meals as well. It may be that he has to start from scratch at the course, the instructors may prefer that anyway. Once he has a licence there are lots of quiet chunks of back road we can go to for practice. His Dad was cursing me the other night about me being a bad influence on a kid that loves motorized stuff. He said "by the time I get the kid geared up, a licence and insurance I'll be in the thousands, so I expect his gang leader will provide the bargain first bike". My son rides but isn't interested in motorcycles, my daughter is a 4 wheeler, so It'll nice to have a kid around that has a keen interest bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by DesmoDog View Post
    Around here I would go to any of these;
    Industrial park
    School parking lot
    Sears/Big K/Etc parking lot
    Do the theaters near you operate on Sunday mornings?
    Ball field parking lot (no one is there off season, may be too late now I suppose)
    We've also got a private test track where I work but I suppose that's not a typical situation.
    Ducatis and a test track...you are spoiled plain and simple.

We still have snow so not to late for the ball park if it actually had pavement in the parking and I'm not sure we have the same picture in our heads when you say ballpark. The theatre is in a field and only runs in July and August. The open spaces industrial in our industrial areas are full of stumps and skidder ruts. It's funny, I don't know how much pavement is at the schools. We're in the middle of nowhere so options are limited to about 2 large paved parking lots at retailers, which are open Sunday and maybe the schools. It would be so simple to find a place without Sunday shopping.

Are Sears, BigK and such open Sundays in Michigan? K Mart had our favourite lot when we were young.

jcw
    We've got the mega churches around here with big flat parking lots. I've never used them though.
    Minor league sport stadium parking lots but they are usually fenced off.

Smart phone is a pretty good lifeline, you just have to make sure you don't fall on it.

It only takes about a week of riding before you realize the benefits of a riding partner.
    My dog used to run with me but he was pretty useless, when I crashed he just licked my face.

If you do become a mentor to him that might be the best thing that could happen for both of you. That's exactly the way it worked out for myself and the friend I've been riding with for a very long time now. I taught him for years starting when he was age 15, then he turned expert and ended up teaching me to take it to the next level. What goes around comes around
    woodsman likes this.

the kid will learn more faster in dirt and for sure be less prone to injury early on
    that said where do the rc plane clubs go
    what about any kind of gov parking lot
    abanond airstrips
    ask the pole-eese
    ask the security outfits that have patrol contracts

Quote Originally Posted by XB33BSA View Post
    abandoned airstrips ...
    lol that might be a little tough to find in Canada

Some nearby lakes might still be frozen thick enough to ride on for another week maybe two, mine is.
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 04-10-2019 at 05:23 AM.
    woodsman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    lol that might be a little tough to find in Canada

Some nearby lakes might still be frozen thick enough to ride on for another week maybe two, mine is.
    Those pictures of posies that I took yesterday are in Canada...... from the land where folks ride all year. #geocentricthinking #wedon'tallliveinigloos #wearen'tallpolite
    woodsman likes this.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links