Looking for a first bike for the wife, or possibly a new project for me
Close

This is a discussion on Looking for a first bike for the wife, or possibly a new project for me within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; So I taught my wife to ride a bit on my KZ440, she likes riding and wants her own bike now. So I started looking ...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Looking for a first bike for the wife, or possibly a new project for me

Ews

So I taught my wife to ride a bit on my KZ440, she likes riding and wants her own bike now. So I started looking for a bike for her, something in the 400-500 cc range, mostly something for her to get comfortable on, but still be able to keep up on longer rides. I have seen a few bikes pop up, mostly junk really. But then she said "What if you get a bigger bike and I ride yours?" So now I am looking for two different bikes and seeing which one I find first and looks best for the price. I found this one, looks ok save for the seat and sounds maintained, Thoughts?

https://lewiston.craigslist.org/mcy/...864250461.html
    Dream as if you live forever, Live as if you die today.~ James Dean

Ews
    And then there is this bike, which really gets me going

https://lewiston.craigslist.org/mcy/...853695173.html

If she isn't stuck on vintage you might want to look at something like an early century Kawasaki 500. Smooth, cute, comfortable and predictable. Gives her something she enjoys getting on, quick enough she can grow her skills, while still being able to cover a decent days miles. Leaves you with a ride you know while you find and/or put together whatever is next.
    Along these lines, this ones $1100 US https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruis...ationFlag=true
    Last edited by woodsman; 04-12-2019 at 02:58 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Ews
    She really likes the TU250X. I guess I trained her proper, go for the better looking bikes lol. But I think mostly she likes that the dealer has a 2017 (never sold) for $3k

Name:  2019-Suzuki-TU250X2.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  350.5 KB

Her best friend also wants to ride, but since she is a shorty (5'4") I recommended a 19' Honda Rebel, low enough in the saddle that she would be able to flat foot at a stop.

Name:  2019_Rebel500_05.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  499.1 KB

We had a huge number of CBR250's and CBR500s hit the market at really good prices new old stock, as a result the market for used ones is really good because the original owner doesn't have tons of money tied up in it. A single will always be the simplest to service, both are really nice rides, capable of decent speed plus you can fit good rubber on the 500. ymmv in Idaho,
    The Suzuki TX is a sweet little ride in classic style, less capable on the highway but at 3k new :| if she like it, buy it and make her happy
    but buy her some proper riding gear too :| it's awful watching your wife go down wait that don't sound right

Ews
    Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    it's awful watching your wife go down wait that don't sound right
    How the hell did you see that? I thought I had all those videos removed from the internet

I was looking at Tu's a couple weeks ago, a 2019 was only $3300US here. You might want to hammer that dealer a little longer. A 250 thumper is a long day on a bike.

Ews
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    I was looking at Tu's a couple weeks ago, a 2019 was only $3300US here. You might want to hammer that dealer a little longer. A 250 thumper is a long day on a bike.
    Agreed. My wife will not be doing any long rides anytime soon, mostly commuting back and forth to work until she is ready for something bigger. I dont see her ever needing anything bigger than a 650. Her uncle keeps trying to talk her into a HD of some sort, but she prefers bikes that arent selling for a million times what they should be

Unless the engine is trying to drag around two tubbies on a couch or the rider has a lot of miles on mid weight performance bikes, I don't see a need for more than a 650. I haven't owned a litre bike in 30 years and have never found a situation where I lacked the ponies I needed. When I want to get the heart pounding I've got a FZ400 with a pair of flypaper Pirellis and my favourite set of twisties, "she doesn't fly, but she's quick enough to die". The reason I like a basic 500 for a more mature new rider is that they are mild enough to learn on while having enough performance that they can ride it into the future. Woman being woman, she is likely a lot more sensible then we of the nutted variety and her first mission won't be to see how fast it goes.

2006 Ducati Monster - $4500 hide this posting

image 1 of 7

2006 Ducati Monster

condition: good
    engine displacement (CC): 620
    fuel: gas
    odometer: 4700
    paint color: red
    title status: clean
    transmission: manual

Have a 06 Ducati Monster 620cc with 4700 miles on it. As spring is approaching it is time for me to sell my beloved bike. This bike has been great for me, its a 5 Speed, the oil has just been changed, along with the front fork seals being replaced. The bike has all the paperwork with it, along with some minor scratches, other than that the bike is in great condition. Runs great and is a pretty quick little bike, feel free to contact with any question, offers are welcome, no trades

Except look for one closer to NADA pricing

Values

Suggested
    List Price
    Low
    Retail
    Average
    Retail
    Base Price $7,495 $1,690 $2,225
    Total Price $7,495 $1,690 $2,225

Last edited by nic579; 04-13-2019 at 08:23 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links