Flat saddle options - Page 2
Close

Flat saddle options

This is a discussion on Flat saddle options within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; You should have left that brace, it was structural. I may be wrong but I think replacing it with a loop of thin wall pipe ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Flat saddle options

You should have left that brace, it was structural. I may be wrong but I think replacing it with a loop of thin wall pipe at the rear end is more like adding a torsion bar then a brace.

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysavocado View Post
    ... once I get it running (mostly carb related) ...
    No surprise there with vacuum operated carbs combined with pod filters and little to no back pressure on the exhaust.
    You are going to end up pounding huge volumes of fuel through it just to try and compensate for those mods, that's what everybody else who attempts it seems to do.

What’s a good fix? I asked the previous owner what was happening , he said the carb on the left (when sitting) would always foul the spark plug pretty fast . Different jets or filters, or swap out the carbs for another style? He also said the floats were probably off. Not sure what route to go for the carbs.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Ews
    What’s a good fix? I asked the previous owner what was happening , he said the carb on the left (when sitting) would always foul the spark plug pretty fast . Different jets or filters, or swap out the carbs for another style? He also said the floats were probably off. Not sure what route to go for the carbs.
    If it is in your budget, I'd get better carbs. There are a lot of good after market carbs out there that will be less maintenance and headache
    Dream as if you live forever, Live as if you die today.~ James Dean

I feel the need, the need for speed.~ Mavrick (Tom Cruise before he was a big ol' bag of crazy)

The route you go for the carbs is you get a manual and you learn to rebuild carbs. If possible you put the stock airbox on it .
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Honda Twins will have a manual.

Previous owner didn't have a clue what the problem is or he would have fixed it

Disclaimer: I have zero personal first hand experience modifying that bike, the following is based only on what I have read and I accept no credit or responsibility for these ideas, or your results should you choose to pursue them.

1) replace the carbs with non-vacuum controlled carburetors and apparently pods directly connected to your carburetor might be made to work reasonably well.
    note: none of these modifications were documented by performance testing to validate their modifications provided a performance improvement over stock.
    or
    2) introduce a tube or velocity stack between the carburetor and the air filter, which is relatively similar to what the original air filter uses.
    repeat: none of these modifications were documented by performance testing to validate their modifications provided a performance improvement over stock.

The same writers also reported the need for some form of an exhaust system in conjunction with the original CV carbs so as not to kill the motors performance in at least one part of the power band.
    but repeat: none of these modifications were documented by performance testing to validate their modifications actually provided a performance improvement over stock.

Awesome information! Thanks for all the tips so far. I come from a Chevy and Volkswagen background so I am just familiarizing myself with different brands and options for carburetors on bikes. With all my searches and reading that I’ve done the last few days it seems like the Mikuni carb kids keep coming up, certainly not cheap but they sound like they are pretty good carbs. Without getting crazy deep into performance and primarily looking for reliability and obviously without breaking the budget are those good options or is there something a little more economical someone can recommend?

Velocity stacks go between your carbs and the breather to smooth airflow. I can't see your exhaust but it's likely part of the problem. Figure out what made it run like shit, it wasn't because of the carbs. Did you go to Honda Twins forum and get a service manual? Did you look through any of the thousands of threads there specifically on cb350 fuel systems?

Not yet I just got this . It’s all new to me and this is a starting point . I’ve only only old school cars and vespas. I’ll snag a manual for sure , my primary concern is the carbs or like you mentioned the filters or tuning .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links