I did a thing... a CB900F thing - Page 3
Close

I did a thing... a CB900F thing

This is a discussion on I did a thing... a CB900F thing within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by Geeto67 Also so fun thing to look for: euro models came with a locking glovebox in the tail. If you want to ...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 95
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: I did a thing... a CB900F thing

  1. #21
    Ews
    Ews is offline
    Senior Member Ews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Lewiston Idaho
    Posts
    1,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    Also so fun thing to look for: euro models came with a locking glovebox in the tail. If you want to repaint, might as well look for one of those since they are cool.
    Thank you, I was scratching my head trying to figure out where the hell I can keep my registration and insurance on this thing. For not I have them in a tail bag I strap to the passenger seat. But if I want to go ride without it, then I have to carry that stuff on me. Also I agree about the decals, they just look out of place.

    Other than name, is there a difference between the CB900F Super Sport and the Bol d'Or?
    Dream as if you live forever, Live as if you die today.~ James Dean

    I feel the need, the need for speed.~ Mavrick (Tom Cruise before he was a big ol' bag of crazy)

  2. #22
    Senior Member Teazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , IL, .
    Posts
    2,905
    Here's one we did earlier. It's based off a CB1100R tank design with CB900 style side cover stripes. All painted.

    http://pinkpossum.com/miscbikestuff/CB900a.JPG
    Ews and woodsman like this.

  3. #23
    Senior Member woodsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    1,460
    Quote Originally Posted by Teazer View Post
    Here's one we did earlier. It's based off a CB1100R tank design with CB900 style side cover stripes. All painted.

    http://pinkpossum.com/miscbikestuff/CB900a.JPG
    Love to own that one.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #24
    Ews
    Ews is offline
    Senior Member Ews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Lewiston Idaho
    Posts
    1,321
    I've been trying to figure out how to address my lack of functioning speedo issue. I think I have a solution but i figured I should ask the gang here if it is even possible.

    Found a GPS based speedo on Amazon that should be the same size as the factory speedo. My idea is that I can just remove the factory speedo, and replace it with this one, wire it in and be done. Not sure if I can remove the speedo from the Gage cluster or if its all one unit. I know it will not look quite right, but I would rather have a functioning speedo than none at all

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F82V7F5...CL63ZKH3&psc=0
    Dream as if you live forever, Live as if you die today.~ James Dean

    I feel the need, the need for speed.~ Mavrick (Tom Cruise before he was a big ol' bag of crazy)

  6. #25
    Senior Member Teazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    , IL, .
    Posts
    2,905
    Quote Originally Posted by Ews View Post
    I've been trying to figure out how to address my lack of functioning speedo issue. I think I have a solution but i figured I should ask the gang here if it is even possible.

    Found a GPS based speedo on Amazon that should be the same size as the factory speedo. My idea is that I can just remove the factory speedo, and replace it with this one, wire it in and be done. Not sure if I can remove the speedo from the Gage cluster or if its all one unit. I know it will not look quite right, but I would rather have a functioning speedo than none at all

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F82V7F5...CL63ZKH3&psc=0
    It has been a long time since I stripped one, but as I recall, the speedo is more or less a conventional complete unit but instead of its own external housing, it is bolted inside one larger binnacle. It should be possible to fit the GPS unit inside of that common housing but it will take some ingenuity and the odometer from stock is in the middle of the cluster, so that should be blanked off/removed as well.

    I would see if you can split the stock unit to see what's inside and if that isn't readily possible think about a complete speedo/tacho etc unit to replace the complete cluster or keep the stock unit.
    Ews likes this.

  7. #26
    Senior Member Geeto67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    23,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Ews View Post
    Thank you, I was scratching my head trying to figure out where the hell I can keep my registration and insurance on this thing. For not I have them in a tail bag I strap to the passenger seat. But if I want to go ride without it, then I have to carry that stuff on me. Also I agree about the decals, they just look out of place.

    Other than name, is there a difference between the CB900F Super Sport and the Bol d'Or?
    There is a small triangular stash tube on the US models below the side covers. Door is on the left side and uses your ignition key to open. That's where we keep the reg/ins on my brothers '79.

    Bol d'or is just a decal kit, but depending on the market some came standard with the hondaline touring fairing. It's a French race so Honda didn't think the name would have any meaning to us savage Americans.
    Ews likes this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

  8. #27
    Ews
    Ews is offline
    Senior Member Ews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Lewiston Idaho
    Posts
    1,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    There is a small triangular stash tube on the US models below the side covers. Door is on the left side and uses your ignition key to open. That's where we keep the reg/ins on my brothers '79.

    Bol d'or is just a decal kit, but depending on the market some came standard with the hondaline touring fairing. It's a French race so Honda didn't think the name would have any meaning to us savage Americans.
    Ill look to see if that stash spot is on my 82'.

    Personally I think Bol d'Or SOUNDS cooler than Super Sport. To me calling it a Super Sport lumps it in with all these crotch rockets that kids act a fool on. Bol d'Or just sounds like a riders bike, not a flip flop/ board short and tank top wearing douchebike, but hey he has a Helmet on so when he wrecks at least his family can identify him.

    Side note: This is the first bike I have ever owned that people straight up rubberneck the hell out of. It is getting a tad annoying that everywhere I stop someone wants to have a 20 minute conversation about my bike. I mean it was cool at first, but now I just want to ride LOL
    Dream as if you live forever, Live as if you die today.~ James Dean

    I feel the need, the need for speed.~ Mavrick (Tom Cruise before he was a big ol' bag of crazy)

  9. #28
    Senior Member Geeto67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    23,269
    I went to look for it in the parts fiche, and apparently it's molded into the rear inner fender, so as long as your rear inner fender forward of the tire is still intact it should be there. If you need a look at it you can see one in this ebay auction:

    https://www.ebay.com/i/381361016331?chn=ps
    Ews likes this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

  10. #29
    Junior Member NotoriousPTC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    25
    I know it is French, but I prefer Super Sport to Golden Bowl.

  11. #30
    Senior Member Geeto67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    23,269
    or "roller door" which is what the aussies and cockneys call them.

    that engine has been a Super Sport, a Nighthawk, an RC42, a Bol D'or, and in spirit a hornet and a "big One". The best name it has though is "reliable" (mostly)

    BTW, here is the bracket for the rear tail glove box:
    https://www.ebay.com/i/163642382076?chn=ps

    and the lidded tail section:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/CB900F-HOND...EAAOSwWz5cVcK7


    here is where to get decals:
    https://cbdecals.afegraphics.com/ind...e=%27cb900f%27
    Ews likes this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. CB900F electrical systems
    By UngaWunga in forum General
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-15-2009, 02:20 PM
  2. cb900f 919 Tank
    By bmartin in forum Parts For Sale
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2009, 09:22 PM
  3. 1981 CB900f
    By borzwazie in forum Bikes For Sale
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-29-2008, 07:41 PM
  4. Cb900f big bore
    By mut in forum Bikes For Sale
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-14-2008, 09:23 PM
  5. CB900F shocks
    By rat in forum General
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-02-2008, 08:50 PM