I did a thing... a CB900F thing - Page 8
Close

I did a thing... a CB900F thing

This is a discussion on I did a thing... a CB900F thing within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; [QUOTE=TrialsRider;637643 here is how i would be looking at it; I ride the bikes I ride because I'm an enthusiast. For my wife, I would ...

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: I did a thing... a CB900F thing

Ews
    [QUOTE=TrialsRider;637643
    here is how i would be looking at it; I ride the bikes I ride because I'm an enthusiast. For my wife, I would want the safest easiest nice handling bike she could possibly ride that can easy keep with the pace of local traffic.

+ you realize how stressful it is watching your wife ride yes[/QUOTE]

That is an excellent point.

- - - Updated - - -

[QUOTE=TrialsRider;637643
    here is how i would be looking at it; I ride the bikes I ride because I'm an enthusiast. For my wife, I would want the safest easiest nice handling bike she could possibly ride that can easy keep with the pace of local traffic.

+ you realize how stressful it is watching your wife ride yes[/QUOTE]

That is an excellent point.
    Dream as if you live forever, Live as if you die today.~ James Dean

I feel the need, the need for speed.~ Mavrick (Tom Cruise before he was a big ol' bag of crazy)

For the wife; invest in a 100$ rear view camera for your bike, have her follow you back a bit and slightly to the right, you set the pace. That works pretty good, she just needs to stay close enough that traffic doesn't start filtering between you.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    For the wife; invest in a 100$ rear view camera for your bike, have her follow you back a bit and slightly to the right, you set the pace. That works pretty good, she just needs to stay close enough that traffic doesn't start filtering between you.
    WHAT IS THIS traffic word? what does it mean ?
    oh... it involves contact wth a mountie-cop as in traffic fine ?
    we do have some policeman occasionally i see them but rarely
    our mounties we call staters as in state patrol
    of course in places like california where the3 queers have completely shit the bed and the (dont get me wrong i am not going to get into politics )chp highway patrol in cali well they are cool in my book so are the staters up here
    mainly they are looking for drunks and once a chp got me on my tlr at 96mph

i saw him and pulled over and waited for him
    i asked him how quick
    he chucked 96 and thanks for stoppoiung
    "just be careful i do not want to scrape you off the smith river gorge walls "
    and he got back in his cruiser
    it helps when a gray haired rider is in very good quallity albeit 2 piece agv cowskin suit
    my only and best suggestion and the absolute best advice you can adheree to re you wife is to get a p[aiur of xr100 hondas and go have a ball chasing each other around on some dirt

strain here over and over to be able to save the bike and or bail off when the traction is gone under hard bracking
    just some barrels set up like in the rodeo where the girls race around the barrels
    \treat it as if you are flying but only doing take offs and landings
    situational awareness of a survivable escape path must be imprinted in her brain so that it is second nature when it comes to being surrounded by moronns texticans crystal methodists drunks fukwits and evil people with tempers that are always flaring like a pack of hemeroids

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

No not that kind of traffic, just the public kind that doesn't seem to see motorcycles.
    ... and Tesla's on auto pilot.

Ews
    I have had to tighten/adjust the drive chain 3 times in the last 2 months. According to the handy little site gauge on my swing arm it is time for a new chain. But I am concerned that there may be an issue with the front sprocket or something in the transmission. When at lower speeds I notice what I can only describe as a slight surging or hesitation. At first I thought my timing chain may need adjustment, but the engine is smooth and RPM's never fluctuate outside of what is expected based on how much I have the throttle twisted. Over the last few day's I am hearing some noise from the front sprocket area, like maybe its sloppy or slipping? This morning on my way to work it was enough that I am concerned if I will be able to get the thing home to park it. It does not seem to get worse as I accelerate or when RPM's climb. The sound/feeling from the sprocket will change slightly with the speed, but not enough to make me feel the need to stop and panic.

Hopefully I can get it home at lunch and will get time to open it up this weekend to determine the culprit.

As I was typing this up I remembered that the guy I bought it from said the clutch was replaced about 2k miles ago, and I feel like he said it was a racing clutch(?) but I may have misheard him, or he didn't know what he was talking about. Not sure.

I feel the need, the need for speed.~ Mavrick (Tom Cruise before he was a big ol' bag of crazy)

Quote Originally Posted by Ews View Post
    .... When at lower speeds I notice what I can only describe as a slight surging or hesitation....
    Is your primary drive all good? Is always the best place to start, if there is a problem there it devastates everything down line.

Does your bike have a rubber cushion rear hub? They can cause problems if not correctly maintained.

You know what a racing clutch really is? <- a regular clutch with slightly stronger springs. That qualifies.
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 07-31-2019 at 09:44 AM.

Ews
    Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    Is your primary drive all good? Is always the best place to start, if there is a problem there it devastates everything down line.

Does your bike have a rubber cushion rear hub? They can cause problems if not correctly maintained.

You know what a racing clutch really is? <- a regular clutch with slightly stronger springs. That qualifies.
    Not sure if the primary is in good shape, I hope so though. I will find out more when I tear into it this weekend.

Everything in the rear seems in good shape. Now that I am thinking about it, I am wondering if the rear sprocket is also from a ZX9 (as the rims are) and could be causing issues in the trans? I mean it is possible that is it bigger or smaller or has a different # of teeth than the factory rear sprocket.

Ews
    Researching cost on a new front sprocket/rear sprocket/chain kit. Any good brands to look for? I was getting frustrated from searching for a "CB900F" front sprocket and getting a few different options as far as 16 teeth, 17 teeth, etc... Im figuring I should replace the whole setup so I know it is all new and matching so as to ensure no untimely wear on the parts.

Forget kits if your hubs have been customized, or did I misread that :/
    Your biggest decisions with buying chain is: sealed maintenance free chain or regular roller chain at half the price + frequent service
    and do you want cir-clip or rivet master links.
    btw: ... if your sprockets are out of align or anything like that you would be seeing unusual wear patterns on the sprockets and when you look at the top of the chain from behind it would look totally wrong.
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 07-31-2019 at 01:31 PM.

Ews
    Im looking at chains with the fancy "x" gasket. When I went to take lunch I noticed that my chain was tighter than it was after I adjusted it yesterday, maybe I didn't tighten my axle nut enough? I generally try to have 1.5-2 inches of play. But I got to reading about that stuff and nothing I can find specifies weather you should judge that play based on being off the bike or sitting on it. When you sit on the bike the chain tends to tighten a bit, so now I am questioning my whole life lol.

The hubs are not custom per say, but they are not stock. Wheels, hubs and all are from an 03' ZX9. I am curious if the previous owner didn't have the shop change the front sprocket, could that be playing into my issues? I'm just imagining the newer rear sprocket trying to play with the older front sprocket and them not really meshing well.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Sponsored Links