I did a thing... a CB900F thing - Page 9
Close

I did a thing... a CB900F thing

This is a discussion on I did a thing... a CB900F thing within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Worn chains Wil often have tight spots. When you adjust it you need to rotate the wheel and check it in a couple spots. A ...

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: I did a thing... a CB900F thing

Worn chains Wil often have tight spots. When you adjust it you need to rotate the wheel and check it in a couple spots. A new chain (and sprockets) is probably overdue.

Generally, one tooth less than the stock size up front is a good setup. Slightly better acceleration without major affect on top speed, or putting the engine at a buzzy rpm when cruising at 75 mph
    steveo likes this.
    I always find a soap box useful to get on my high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by roccitycafe View Post
    .... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

chain slack is determined with the rider off the bike and the bike resting on it's wheels. as your suspension moves your wheelbase changes, when the swingarm is perpendicular to the ground, that is when your wheelbase is the longest, and you should have 1/2" slack there, which translates to about 1 inch up and 1 inch down from level at the midpoint between the sprockets when the bike is resting without rider. If the bike has been raised up you may have to adjust the amount of slack to looser, or take the shocks off, lower the bike on a jack till the swingarm is level, and then adjust the chain so it has 1/2" slack at it's longest point.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Ews
    Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    chain slack is determined with the rider off the bike and the bike resting on it's wheels.
    That was what I was told when I was a pup and how I adjusted chains ever since. I will re-adjust it again this weekend and examine my sprockets closely.
    Dream as if you live forever, Live as if you die today.~ James Dean

I feel the need, the need for speed.~ Mavrick (Tom Cruise before he was a big ol' bag of crazy)

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

As Geeto alluded to, the critical thing is to make sure there's enough slack at the tightest point and that's with the sprockets and swingarm in line. The more static swingarm droop, the more slack the chain will have at full extension.

Old bikes tended to have all three aligned (tightest) on the stand without a rider and that's probably where that rule of thumb originated. But with any amount of droop, you may have to compress the rear end to get the tightest condition and that's what's critical.
    Geeto67 likes this.

teazer always says it better than I can.
    XB33BSA likes this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Ews
    Cracked into the front sprocket housing today and I think I found my culprit. When I removed the sprocket cover I noticed that it was dirty inside, to be expected, and found a few little friends hanging out where they shouldn't be.

Name:  sprocket1.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  363.2 KB

Upon closer inspection I determined that these are likely the o-rings inside the links of my drive chain.

Name:  sprocket2.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  123.4 KB

Other than that the sprocket seemed to be in good shape. So I need a new chain, but I will likely replace front and rear sprockets at the same time just to have that piece of mind knowing that it is all new and should last me a while longer. I am on a budget kind of, so any suggestions on chain/sprocket brands I should look at that will not cost the farm?

I feel the need, the need for speed.~ Mavrick (Tom Cruise before he was a big ol' bag of crazy)

definately go with a 520 conversion the hugely oversized 630 oem chain is just another signpost on outdated avenue
    not only will you save multiple lbs in unsprung weight also the reduced mass weight of the chain itself is a measurable factor however small,in the laws of physics ,objects in motion the energy required to accelerate an object is directly related to the objects mass
    and of course how fast it is being asked to,in this case of a drive chain,accelerate lineaerly to a certain speed and time to get there
    since the 1970's eera 630 chain in oring sealed mc app was first put into use
    just about every aspect of chains has improved, from greatly improved control of producing high quality high strength steel to improvents in the quality of surface finishing in relation to how the sealing ring is lasting over time wear wise
    and the design of the seal itself and the type of material FKM TYPES ARE NOW POPULAR(viton)
    if anybody tries to tell you a modern non chinese,sealed 520 chain is weak or will wear out to fast
    just tell them they are ignorant ,that motogp machines with 3x the hp and torque of a cb900 all use off the shelf 520 chain
    aluminum rear sprockets are fine just be sure and run a chain guard
    because the tire edge is constantly trying to dump road sand etc onto the chain
    and sand in sprocket teeth will accelerate wear on sprockets
    Ews likes this.

Ews
    Quote Originally Posted by XB33BSA View Post
    definately go with a 520 conversion the hugely oversized 630 oem chain is just another signpost on outdated avenue
    I can't seem to find anything on a 520 chain. but found lot's of 530 chains. is that what you meant or am I just not looking hard enough or in the right places

Ews
    I can agree that chain technology today is vastly improved over 37 years ago. But I always get a little nervous when upgrading old vehicles with new parts. 9 time out of 10 there are no issues. But you never know. I would assume that modern OEM would still be better than original parts. Unless the literally change nothing, not even material composition.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Sponsored Links