I was wrong about the people here and I'm sorry.
Close

This is a discussion on I was wrong about the people here and I'm sorry. within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I posted about the "old guys" here in the "New Members" section a while back, chastising the people here for the treatment of new guys. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: I was wrong about the people here and I'm sorry.

I posted about the "old guys" here in the "New Members" section a while back, chastising the people here for the treatment of new guys. I opined that people here discouraged, eager young thinkers from the sport we love. Recent events have proved me wrong. The "cafe racer" fad has become a hipster thing. Anything that becomes "the thing" is sure to suck. I picked up an old KZ and joined up to KZ groups on FB. While there are a few venerable old vets that know the bike and how to set it up, most are concerned about seats, gadgets and pods.

Few care about the actual performance of the bike. Having started out on late 80s and 90s sportbikes, I am looking to get the best I can out of my 1980 air cooled twin. Not the new guys...they want it to look cool and call it their "build". No questions about jetting, suspension or braking. "How do I fasten this brown Chinese seat to my Honda Ascot?" My old Airhead would probably smoke most "cafe racer" builds.

There are guys here with some serious knowledge. Several of you have provided valuable insight and I thank you. I still think the website name should be changed to something cool. Cafe Racers are sooo 2015. Vintage superbikes will be cool forever.

Respectfully,

Old guy
    TrialsRider likes this.

jcw
    To be honest, you are not wrong about the people here.

What most people are wrong about when they come here is that they assume that this forum should love and adore whatever crap springs forward from their keyboard.
    Just because they like it.

Nope.
    DesmoDog likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jcw View Post
    To be honest, you are not wrong about the people here.

What most people are wrong about when they come here is that they assume that this forum should love and adore whatever crap springs forward from their keyboard.
    Just because they like it.

Nope.
    I am all for encouragement and positive thinking. In science there are are proven facts, ignoring these facts makes a motorcycle perform poorly. I want young people to embrace the sport and all that goes along with it. A motorcycle is a great way for an eager young mind to understand semi-complex systems and how they work together. I'm not a book reader but there is a "zen" to motorcycle maintenance. I want motorcycles to be cool to young folks because they present a great opportunity to learn - adjusting valves, holding a steady line through a corner, precise braking, and good ol' camaraderie with other bros. The cafe racer thing is the new choppers thing....A bunch of fags(no offence to actual gay people) that are trying way too hard to be cool.
    Last edited by actionitem; 06-25-2019 at 07:51 PM.
    TrialsRider and Stephen J like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I go back and forth about this place and my involvement a lot.

On the one hand, I really want people to embrace the ethos of the cafe racer, because much like the american hot rod it is taking something and modifying it to fine tune it's use to your needs. Lots of great innovation has come out of hot rodding and people should always play with improving things because it gives us stuff like electronic ignitions, fuel injection, forced induction, etc...and allows us to leverage progress. To do that takes a certain amount of positivism and encouragement on the part of the audience and a community approach to problem solving.

On the other hand, you can't be positive about EVERYTHING because it invites so real negatives into the community from some people who are more self interested than motorcycle community interested. I am talking generally about unsafe motorcycles and the people who ride them. what few of us consider is what happens to those people when they modify their bike to be unsafe, and then have an accident. If they are without heath insurance then their costs get passed on to me, you, everyone, in the form of uninsured medical care paid for by the state and sometimes private insurance when there is another vehicle involved. In addition to taxes we pay for it in the increase in insurance rates, as those who practice unsafe motorcycling aren't likely to wear proper gear like a full face helmet, jacket, boots, pants (yes there are dicks who ride in shorts all the time) and will likely have more serious injuries. Now I am not saying that everyone should go out of their house like a marshmallow wrapped in bubble wrap and duct tape, but even something as stupid and common sense as visible turn signals can cut your risk of accident by 50% ( https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...car-accidents/ ). To that end, it's our job as a community to discourage bad behavior in the form of motorcycles that fall below the minimum standard of basic safety. And we do that by...well...kinda being assholes.

the point I always try to make with any newbie is that the best motorcycle customizers don't just "delete shit" to make it look cool - they find a way to incorporate all the basic stuff so it either looks cool or is invisible until it is required not to be.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I was with you until you mentioned the shorts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldjeep View Post
    I was with you until you mentioned the shorts
    lol.
    really though, I have a neighbor that does that. Has a slingshot GSXR and half the time he's also in sandals (Tevas) or tennis shoes. I can see being in shorts just to pop down to the store or something once in a while, but this dude only rides on nice summer days, and always in the same outfit: shorts, t-shit or polo, sandals or sneakers, no gloves, and a full face helmet. All I can think is - "yup" that's why my insurance is expensive.

I will add, that in the super rare instance I have worn shorts on a motorcycle I managed to burn my right leg every single time, so I don't do it anymore just because I hate the smell of burn creme.
    Last edited by Geeto67; 06-26-2019 at 09:31 AM.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    lol.
    really though, I have a neighbor that does that. Has a slingshot GSXR and half the time he's also in sandals (Tevas) or tennis shoes. I can see being in shorts just to pop down to the store or something once in a while, but this dude only rides on nice summer days, and always in the same outfit: shorts, t-shit or polo, sandals or sneakers, no gloves, and a full face helmet. All I can think is - "yup" that's why my insurance is expensive.

I will add, that in the super rare instance I have worn shorts on a motorcycle I managed to burn my right leg every single time, so I don't do it anymore just because I hate the smell of burn creme.
    I only wear shorts and no jacket for trips in town, but always a full faced helmet. Yeah, I know you can have an accident anywhere. On the highway always long pants and a jacket - bugs and rocks hurt

jcw
    Anyone go out in one piece leathers?

I see plenty of sport bike people here in ohio that do. Also a couple guys in the vintage crowd two with like 20-30 year old vanson pleated joints leathers.

At my size I just don't want to make the cow holocaust any worse by having a leather onesie made for me.
    Stephen J likes this.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

I have 3 One piece spandex suits

... can't wear them on my street bike or everybody on the sidewalk yells, pop a wheelie! pop a wheelie!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links