Help Identify this bike?.
Close

This is a discussion on Help Identify this bike?. within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hi to all I’m wondering if anyone on here could help me identify this bike. The picture is of my uncle and was taken in ...

Hi to all

I’m wondering if anyone on here could help me identify this bike.

The picture is of my uncle and was taken in the later part of 1960’s he and my dad were regulars at the ace cafe in London but sadly are no longer with us.
    While going through old photos I found a few old pictures of them on bikes from around that time and trying to find out what they rode.

Any help would be great.

Thank you.Name:  35AD6342-DEBE-44AE-BD67-05D1C498348B.jpeg
Views: 72
Size:  1.11 MB

Not the best photo but sure looks like a BSA Goldstar.

Last edited by TrialsRider; 06-30-2019 at 03:49 PM.

Ah wow, yes that definitely looks similar! Looks like the tank might have been changed and the bars lowerd but the rest looks the same.

Thank you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

It's definitely a BSA single. Probably a modified B31 or B33, but could be an earlier Goldie with those small cylinder fins.

Headlamp clamps, clipons and fiberglass tanks were sold through many outlets back in the day and people used to customize bikes by buying parts pay check by pay check.

The sweptback pipe with goldie silencer, rearsets and tacho drive are all Goldie or at least copies and the 8" single sided front brake all suggest that it might have been a goldie. Back in the late sixties and early seventies the Goldie was admired but was still just an old British bike. I bought my big fin 350 complete but as a basket case for 200 quid. It also had an aftermarket tank fitted.

Very exciting bike to ride, they shake so bad at higher revs that it completely blurs your vision.
    ... at least the 500cc version did, the 350cc versions were a little milder in all respects.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    Very exciting bike to ride, they shake so bad at higher revs that it completely blurs your vision.
    ... at least the 500cc version did, the 350cc versions were a little milder in all respects.
    I don’t recall shaking that was any worse than any other British thumper. I had the good fortune of owning a DBD34 with the proper 1 1/2 GP carb and RRT2 close ratio gearbox. Out of all the bikes that I have owned, that is in the top 3 that I would want back., but they are not cheap these days......

Chances are the crank in whatever you were riding was out of whack or clapped out. In the colonies, there were very few who could get those cranks properly sorted. Seems it’s still that way. Fellow I know shipped his crank to Maughan & Sons I the UK, but you gotta wonder how it will survive the return trip.

OP. If you find any other photos of the bike, post them and someone might be able to pin it down.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyorg View Post
    I don’t recall shaking that was any worse than any other British thumper.....
    lol ya, I assumed all the 1950's period brit thumpers with three and a half inch stroke vibrated pretty good when riding 80mph on full knobby tires.

The next bike after the DBD34 was a Matchless G80 CS, which from a riding perspective, you probably would have preferred... although after the Goldstar, it was like flogging a dead horse. Lights were on, but nobody home. No desire to own another one of them, but I’d give my left nut for a Matchless G50.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Quote Originally Posted by Teazer View Post
    people used to customize bikes by buying parts pay check by pay check
    The story of my youth. Go faster Fridays.

Sponsored Links