Should I Buy "This" or "That"? - Page 2
Close

Should I Buy "This" or "That"?

This is a discussion on Should I Buy "This" or "That"? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Since looking at rare and interesting motorcycles tends to lead to a lot of searches, and also escalates quickly...... When I first started to look ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Should I Buy "This" or "That"?

Since looking at rare and interesting motorcycles tends to lead to a lot of searches, and also escalates quickly......

When I first started to look for a new bike for the stable I was drawn to the Ducati 999R.
    Rare, fast, special, numbered.

Ducati tossed a bunch of neat parts at it. And from what I understand did not always add so much to the later bikes.
    Mainly talking about how the 999R has carbon fairings, when the 1098R does not.

There seems to not be a lot of love for the three quarters Ducatis, and the 999 was deemed ugly when new.
    It is kinda the 996 911 of the bike world.
    To me this is really silly.

So here is a bike that caught my eye.
    https://iconicmotorbikes.com/advert/...gnoni-exhaust/

It is a 2003 so no magnesium valve covers or boxed swing arm, but it is the only year (save for the FIFA and Xerox editions) that is actually numbered.
    I read somewhere that the 999 race bikes had the best record for Ducati.
    Also that they are WAY more conformable and streetable when compared to the 996 generations.

I do not try and hide the fact that I try to look at the market and understand values when looking to buy.
    My goal isn't really to make a killing or treat any of these as an "investment", more just want to know when I go to sell I will not get killed with depresiation.

I flat can not afford to have a revolving door of the latest and greatest bikes when new.
    Hell that is why I got into vintage bikes in the first place.

Anyone else find it funny that 90s and 00s bikes are ever so close to being real vintage bikes?

Anyway.....now I am rambling more then normal.

I wanted to see what "special" Ducati bikes that pre date the 996 are going for and found this.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mc...923195482.html

Thoughts? I have little context to that being a good price or know a lot about how one of these would be to live with.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

The 400 teaches you how to ride well. You have to keep corner speed up an keep the revs in the happy spot....(above 10k rpm). Fall below 8k and you might as well get off and push. I raced CBR 600s before getting my first 400 and learned to go faster on the small bike than I ever could before on the 600. After that I could transfer that to the bigger bike. I absolutely LOVED racing my FZR400s but they were not so great on the street. I put lights and signals on one of my race bikes and ran it up in the LA mountains once. I felt like I was telegraphing my approach to any cop in the vicinity a mile ahead of time with a screaming banshee wail. That being said, the. The little fizzier was the reason I bought my R6. I wanted a 14k rpm bike with 600 power on the street.

I still have a soft spot for the little 400s and would love to get my hands on a little YB7
    I always find a soap box useful to get on my high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by roccitycafe View Post
    .... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar View Post

I wanted to see what "special" Ducati bikes that pre date the 996 are going for and found this.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mc...923195482.html

Thoughts? I have little context to that being a good price or know a lot about how one of these would be to live with.
    It's been a couple years since I was in the market but that seems a little expensive to me. I prefer the earlier style myself but that's a sentimental thing, the later style like that is a "better" bike from what I've heard. If you really want the rare version of that bike, find a '94. IIRC a lot of them were sent back overseas because the 916 broke cover and killed the market for them.

What would it be to live with? Based on comparing my 851 to my 996, not as uncomfortable as a 916 series bike but certainly not "comfy". The maintanence isn't crippling but it won't tolerate neglect as well as a Japanese bike. Parts are available to keep it running but if you're a purist and have to have the factory correct part for it you may be searching for a while. A buddy has a '94 and is slowly returning it to factory stock. The hardest thing to find so far was a windscreen with the correct logo on it.

Hmm... not sure what else to say? They sound fantastic (better than modern Ducs). Power isn't anything to write home about these days but enough to have fun. I was wringing my 851's neck to keep up with modern bikes the last time I was on it but I'm not a fast rider either so whatever. Headlight pretty much sucks. Babes dig it?

It seems that prices are creeping up on that era Ducati. I also see a lot of them advertised for a lot more than I hear them selling for. After I bought my 851 I found an SP version for not a whole lot more. I think the bevels are still the appreciation kings of current times but the 851/888 seem possible to be the next big thing? First of the modern Ducati Superbikes, more rare than the 916 series. But, I'm super biased so shouldn't be trusted. The 851 was the holy grail to me, the top dog when my infatuation was at it's peak.
    -Craig
    The Mighty Monza Jr. Thread: https://www.caferacer.net/forum/proje...r-project.html

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

"the last of the hand built ducatis" what a wanker. they're still hand built, but every moron who thinks they have something special will make that claim.

888 doesn't have the production numbers / aftermarket the 916 has, and now bits like tanks, etc, are getting hard to find. still pretty basic as a bike though.

94 model is the 888 Ltd. because the usa didn't get sp, they had specials "spo" and "ltd" that were std engines in sp chassis.
    DesmoDog likes this.

i think you'd be over the 400 pretty quick. i like small motors on the track, but on the road it's either a slow bike to ride around on, or a bike that requires a lot of commitment (corner speed) in an environment that just makes that much more potentially dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by brad black View Post
    i think you'd be over the 400 pretty quick. i like small motors on the track, but on the road it's either a slow bike to ride around on, or a bike that requires a lot of commitment (corner speed) in an environment that just makes that much more potentially dangerous.
    yeah, I think this is excellent advice, especially considering where you live. I am not super familiar with Ohio, but I have traveled around there quite a few times. I am assuming it is somewhat similar to Michigan in that you are gonna have to ride considerable distance on long, straight, boring roads just to get to an area with some fun. This can really suck the fun right out of the smaller bikes...really any sport bike at all for that matter.

oops, you live in Albany...not sure why I was thinking Ohio. Probably lots of good riding around there. I will leave the post up for other poor midwest slobs.
    Last edited by seanbarney41; 07-06-2019 at 01:09 PM.

i have driven some distance across ohio. it's certainly not north carolina.

I could see the 400 being a blast up in the Adirondacks, it is just the "getting there" that would suck.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Ews
    Personally I would jump at the Bimota, but that's just because it's more rare in my area. I can find a clean Ducc all day long, maybe not a 748, but a Monster of some flavor.
    Dream as if you live forever, Live as if you die today.~ James Dean

I feel the need, the need for speed.~ Mavrick (Tom Cruise before he was a big ol' bag of crazy)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links