Should I Buy "This" or "That"?
Close

This is a discussion on Should I Buy "This" or "That"? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Casually on the hunt for a new bike. Want something rare, fun, interesting and something I am not going to loose my ass on when ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Should I Buy "This" or "That"?

Casually on the hunt for a new bike.
    Want something rare, fun, interesting and something I am not going to loose my ass on when I sell it.

Have very much wanted to add a Bimota to the garage, but just have not been able to find the right one, so started looking at Ducati R bikes.
    The Monster S4 will stay as the main bike, so this new bike can be slightly crazy.

This is meant to be a fun discussion and light hearted.
    If you have other suggestions of currently listed bikes, please feel free to post the listing and talk about why it is "The move"

First up is a 2001 Ducati 748R.
    Seems like they bought 215 of them to the states over 3 years.
    Homologation bikes are cool. This one is lower mileage, and has a limited number of mods. Can not think of a cheaper way to get on an R Ducati.
    Sure the smart money is on the 999R, but the 996 model is fucking beautiful.
    Really do not understand how the 748Rs could be as "cheap" as they seem.
    https://www.teammcc.com/default.asp?...OwnedInventory

Second is the 2000 Bimota SB8RS
    The RS is the even rarer version of the SB8R. From my understanding the major difference is the raw carbon body work.
    Bike has a fair number of miles, and a few modifications from stock. Sounds like it comes with a bunch of spare parts.
    https://santafe.craigslist.org/mcy/d...918612899.html

What would you do and why?
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

jcw
    One seems to be more a collection piece, the other a rider...
    Both are sexy as fuck, IMO.

I would lean toward the Bimota, for no particular reason other than I love that frame. And I'm scared of Ducati's.

Middleweight superbike ducati's are always an "also ran". Mostly because they look 100% just like the bigger bikes but don't have the power - the collectibility is always with the top dog, and the 748's value is always going to be less but tied to the 916/996/998 bikes and there are going to be people who want a base 996 over a super rare omg middleweight 748, even if the 748 is the better bike, because it has 998ccs. I don't think you'll lose your shirt on it, but I don't think you'll make much either, but who knows - i've been wrong before.

You have always wanted a bimota, and to be honest I think you should look for one. The hard part about bimota's is that some of them are just fuck ugly, and beauty drives the collector market. yeah it's 1 of 50, but if you don't find it attractive it's going to wear you down eventually. I say, go look for the "right" bimota (I think the DB1 is the one you wanted right?) and buy that. Edsels are rare too, and it isn't because they are bad cars, they are not, it's because someone looked at the front and thought a rolling vagina grille was missing from the automotive landscape.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

jcw
    I was thinking the DB8's when I was commenting on the frame and didn't even click on the link. (Actually probably the DB7 was the last one I saw in a magazine.) LOL, should have known by the price. and the year.

Although that SB8 is attractive in it's own way too.

Last edited by jcw; 07-03-2019 at 08:47 AM.

Yeah a DB1 would be great, but out of my price range right now.
    I do like the YB models thought.

The funny thing I was learning about the 748R, was that it basically makes the same HP as the base 996.
    Obviously less torque though.

I was just offered a SB6 project.....
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

There is a lot to be said for having 3 bikes, 1 for go fast, 1 for go far and 1 for go anywhere.

Or 2 identical bikes, because then you have an easy way to trouble-shoot problems forever.

TrialsRider likes this.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar View Post
    I love middle weights and especially the FZR400's. A twisty road and there would be a lot of smiles per mile on that little beast.

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar View Post
    The funny thing I was learning about the 748R, was that it basically makes the same HP as the base 996.
    that's rubbish. they're 10 - 15hp short of a 996. nice motor, just no midrange due to the exhaust cam. can make them run quite nice though.

if you're a two stroke kind a fella it'll be fine. if you like grunting out of corners, go bigger.

yb4 is way cool. sb6 is pretty fast. i got to work way quick one morning on our demo. annoying to work on, but then they all are. have to drop the motor to get the rocker cover off.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    I love middle weights and especially the FZR400's. A twisty road and there would be a lot of smiles per mile on that little beast.
    I am no expert and have been told I look at things wrong before.
    But that is part of the fun and helps people learn.

I see the FZR400 as a really interesting bike. Alloy frame and super trick/light parts.
    A really big difference from the 600/1000 bikes of the era.

BUT with the Bimota they seem to share the same frame, suspension and the rest of the bike between 400/600/1000 motors.
    SO in my eyes there is no benefit to get the 400 over the larger bikes. Even more so when the prices are not that much different.

That being said, I have never ridden a 400CC so the engine itself might be worth it.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links