High Idle
Close

High Idle

This is a discussion on High Idle within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hey guys and gals, I picked up a 1976 Kawasaki KZ 750 today. First time having a kickstart bike with a petcock and clutch lever. ...

Thread: High Idle

High Idle

Hey guys and gals, I picked up a 1976 Kawasaki KZ 750 today. First time having a kickstart bike with a petcock and clutch lever. Opened the clutch to start the bike and then closed it pretty quickly. Riding around I noticed the bike had a really high idle. Can this be fixed by letting the bike warm up with the choke open for a longer period? Can you ride a bike with the choke partially open or should I just open it all the way? Completely new to this style. Thanks

You don't sound new to a style you sound like you are new to motorized vehicles, how about we start with the idle, how many rpm does the tachometer indicate you are idling at?

"Opened the clutch to start the bike and then closed it pretty quickly." <- is that what you really meant to say there? because that really makes no sense.

"
    Can you ride a bike with the choke partially open or should I just open it all the way?" The choke should only be needed for a cold start and then you should not need to apply any choke to ride the bike, if you do then the motor is probably running way too lean. Have you made any modifications to the bike that would cause it to run lean? Such as install stupid cheap little pod filters on CV carbs with straight pipe exhaust, that would definitely account for it running lean.

... guessing you bought somebody's ill conceived project bike, yes?
    Good photos would help the guys here to identify some of the problem areas, if you want to know what they are.

A bike that has been modified and now runs like crap, this is not a "style". When Kawasaki was done spending a fortune tuning the 750 it was smooth as silk. The PO ruined all Kawasaki's hard work when he decided carburation and exhaust were visual aids. If you need to run with the choke on then the engine is getting to much air not enough fuel. You can't just take an engine designed with specific intake/exhaust requirements and change it, unless you really know what the hell you're doing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I appreciate the lecture, good lord

lol hang in there
    before going into any carb work check the advancer unit
    it must have a rust free mechanism and work freely and rotate back to full retard on its own
    it copmmon for the advancer to stick in the advanced direction if is sticky on its bushing
    and this will always cause a high idle situation with ,generally popping and sputtering as well ,lets say a poor running high idle

This one looks pretty nice

Sponsored Links