New Guy and His First Bike - Page 4
Close

New Guy and His First Bike

This is a discussion on New Guy and His First Bike within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Got a few things knocked off the list this week! - New fork seals - New master cylinder - Superbike handlebars 8) 8) I'll tell ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: New Guy and His First Bike

Got a few things knocked off the list this week!
    - New fork seals
    - New master cylinder
    - Superbike handlebars 8) 8)

I'll tell you what though, getting the old fork seals out was a pain in the ass. I tried all the little tricks and nothing worked until I let them soak in PB Blaster over night. Even then, I had to buy a seal puller and get out my blowtorch.

Anyways, she's back together and ready to go!

Last edited by Jayrdee; 09-28-2019 at 07:47 AM.
    TrialsRider likes this.
    [I have no idea what I'm doing]

Fork seals are so easy to remove if the stanchion tubes just have a bushing on them.
    Anything that doesn't is an exercise in planned obsolescence and cheap mass production.

Quote Originally Posted by seanbarney41 View Post
    ... Those primitive sohc4 calipers will probably squeel anyway. I don't even try to stop them anymore. I got a few riding buddies into the sohc4's and it is always the same when we ride together...squeel them stone age sohc4 calipers with pride.
    I've been riding the bike a lot and anytime the brakes squeal I think of this comment Lol.

She did good at keeping up with my buddies and their newer bikes this past weekend! Although I found out the clutch slips whenever you get on it hard.
    [I have no idea what I'm doing]

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Jayrdee View Post
    .. the clutch slips whenever you get on it hard.
    Is an old bike, are you using regular motor oil or some modern synthetic with friction modifier stuff in it?
    If your oil is good, pull the clutch all apart, clean it, inspect it an bolt it back up, will likely be fine. If the clutch has signs of having run burning hot :/ emery the steels and start replacing friction discs.

Brake problem is the result of the round pads and the door hinge brake calliper :/ that disc was only marginally better then a good drum brake when they were first introduced.
    Be careful trying to keep up to the newer bikes, remember you are riding a freight train with marginal brakes and tires or the bike will remind you when you come into a corner a little too hot.
    woodsman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    Be careful trying to keep up to the newer bikes, remember you are riding a freight train with marginal brakes and tires or the bike will remind you when you come into a corner a little too hot.
    Yep, or baling into the back of a buddy under braking will pretty much assure you the dunce cap. Add a passenger and it's a different bike again.

Should add that some investment in new suspension components would help with handling, give you more control under hard braking. What's on it for tires, date stamp?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Sponsored Links