New Guy and His First Bike
Close

This is a discussion on New Guy and His First Bike within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Just picked this up yesterday! 1977 CB750K! I'm super stoked to finally get a bike after so many years of wanting one. I initially was ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: New Guy and His First Bike

Just picked this up yesterday! 1977 CB750K! I'm super stoked to finally get a bike after so many years of wanting one.

I initially was looking into getting a 2018 Yamaha SR400 since I'm a new rider (other than little dirt bikes as a kid) and I wanted something I can just hop on and ride. I went to the local dealer and apparently they stopped production on them, and there weren't any in the area, so back to craigslist I went and found this thing! Even cooler considering I only spent the cash I was planning to use as a downpayment on a new bike.

I payed 2600 for it, and it has 18k miles on it. I feel like most CBs you see for sale are either cheap but pieces of junk, or fully restored machines that cost too much, so this was a good medium in my opinion.

She's weathered, but she's solid! The front caliper is seized though so I have to fix that first before I can actually ride it, but yeah ... here she is!

TrialsRider likes this.
    [I have no idea what I'm doing]

Brake master cylinder is probably all clogged up with corrosion and yuck.
    Scrap yards are a good source of replacement brake parts.

Nice bike they are a bit of a freight train, go a little easy coming into fast corners until you get used to the bulk and leather like brakes,
    you will eventually drag hard parts in tight corners, be ready for that too, they can make very pretty sparks at night, especially if you have a passenger on.

Great looking bike. Those pipes are probably worth their weight in gold! Nice score.
    I always find a soap box useful to get on my high horse.

Quote Originally Posted by roccitycafe View Post
    .... same thing with furniture, it doesn't have to be straight or not wobble, or keep thing from rolling off it, or not collapse when sat upon, it's personal taste man... if I want a dining room set that endangers the life of my dinner party guests, then it doesn't need second hand approval

My GS550 Build Thread

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Nice looker "just the way it is". Clean it, maintain it, ride it. You'll be the coolest kid on the block. When anyone asks what your gonna do to it, say "not a fuckin thing"

Oh yea. What Trials said. I watched a guy drive one into a swamp with his wife on the back cuz he was draggin steel. They were both heavy and he came in a lil hot, but still. Just good to keep it in mind.
    Last edited by Stephen J; 07-29-2019 at 07:08 AM.
    If you can't pick it back up, don't ride it.

tell em you're going to cut it up for a cafe just to piss them off.

The forks could likely use an overhaul, new springs would be worthwhile. Talk to Hagon, they can get you set up with new shocks that will improve the bike drastically. It is a nice clean bike don't change anything that can't be made original again.

Damn nice bike.

Listen to everyone else.

And, welcome.
    "If it ain't raining, I'm riding"~~~~~~{iii}?~~~~~~~prost~~~~~

Have you ever maintained an old bike?
    Do you own tools and know how to use them?

Not saying this is going to be an endless wrenching things, but are you just learning how to ride? Or trying to learn how to ride....AND deal with something old?
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

I already have a new caliper with pads (and a repair manual) on the way, and I'm going to clean out the master cylinder too while I'm at it. I don't plan on chopping it up or anything, but I do have a short little laundry list of things I'd like to do to it. Mainly get shorter bars, a faaaattt 4 to 1 exhaust, and lower it (which is perfect since the fork seals are bad and needs a rebuild). Before I do any of that though I have to actually learn how to ride haha. I don't want to immediately start tearing it apart and do stuff like get clip ons and chop it up only to have it end up being a pain in the ass to ride Lol.

While I'm a new rider, I'm not new to wrenching. I'm a big car guy, especially old Japanese cars. My main toy is a 1984 Toyota Corolla AE86 that I had imported from Japan 2 years ago.
    Between me and my dad we have more than enough tools to get by. Still need to get stuff like a bike jack and what not, but I'll get there haha
    [I have no idea what I'm doing]

Dont lower it.
    It isnt a car.
    Lowered bikes handle like shit.

While some are more interested in the looks and the general game of dress up, although much less since the whole hispter thing is kinda dead....
    The place values function and real increases to performance.

Best advice is to keep it stock, well serviced and usable. Have some fun and figure out what kind of riding you enjoy.
    If you end up wanting more performance, look at simple stuff like adding a second front caliper, upgrading to lighter wheels with sticky tires, buy GOOD shocks (not cheap junk), ect.
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links