R65 Seat, rear cowling, frame...
Close

This is a discussion on R65 Seat, rear cowling, frame... within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I have a 1982 R65 and have begun the process of updating, restoring and customizing it. It currently has a gigantic Bill Mayer day long ...

I have a 1982 R65 and have begun the process of updating, restoring and customizing it. It currently has a gigantic Bill Mayer day long saddle and of course the rear cowling, plastic mudguard and the brake/signal lights. After sitting for several years, a mechanic went through everything, tuned it up and it's running like a dream. I'm the third owner and it's pretty clear that the first owner (who had it the longest) really took pride in ownership and was meticulous with it. I will probably upgrade the rear shocks, replace the fork oil and thinking about replacing the rear drum with disc brake. Otherwise, I'm leaving everything else in the engine and drivetrain alone.

I was originally thinking about leaving the rear cowling and just replacing the seat, but the more I look at it, I think a new subframe and simple seat will have the cleaner lines I'm looking for.

Has anyone seen a modified R65 that kept the rear cowling and looks great? Any recommendations on a two up seat configuration? I've seen a couple subframe replacements, but the seats look very short on the ones I've seen.

Thanks for the input. I have a long winter ahead to work on it and right now is just about planning and design.... I'd rather measure twice and cut once.

jcw
    Planning on something for comfort, racing, style, what?

pretty bike. looks super clean.

Great question - I should have been more specific. I have a big 1200 GS Adventure that we use for touring and longer trips. This one will be for cruising around town in style... comfort always a plus, but it will be just short trips and my wife will join me whenever possible, so need a 2up seat. Won't be used for racing, but I definitely wouldn't hate performance improvements!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

the only people I see modding R65's aren't doing it for 2 up riding.

Honestly, I saw your other post where you were waffling between an R65 and an R100, and I was gobsmacked you picked the R65. Those early small frame ones are really only good solo runabouts or short (under 6') riders. ride it mildly spirited and you'll find that cylinder touching the ground sooner than you expect (and before you run out of tire). Also it seemed like a strange decision to me because the big frame bikes have a huge aftermarket, but an R65 is practically starved for custom parts. Had you bought the R100, I'd tell you to strip everything off the back and buy a new subframe, and custom seat from a place like flatracer, ritmo-sereno, etc...

as it stands I think the best you are going to do for 2 up riding is to delete the cowl, keep your stock subframe, and order one of these vietnam seats from texavina:
    https://texavina.com/r65-1981-1985/

honestly, just keep the bike stock, ride it around, and enjoy it. If you want a 2 up custom, save up and buy a big frame airhead and mod the crap out of that (esp an 85-88 monolever)

BTW, I would love to know how you are going to get a disc brake on the rear of an R65. I am sure it is possible, but I looked into it for my R80 and it wasn't a small amount of work or expense.
    Last edited by Geeto67; 10-07-2019 at 01:03 PM.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

If we find it too uncomfortable for 2up, we can just ride the GSA (or the Vespa for that matter), so not a huge deal. Just nice to have the option.

I’m 5’9” and definitely like the feel of the shorter frame. I won’t be laying down a knee anytime soon, and just like having something a little lighter and agile.

Don’t really care about resale.

I did see those seats coming out of Vietnam. I like the idea of simply deleting the cowl if that’s possible. Otherwise found a shop in the UK that has exactly what I need.

Riding that bike home just felt great.... at the end of the day, half of these decisions are emotional connections with our machines. Even when it doesn’t seem to make sense!

Sponsored Links