Going modern? - Page 3
Close

Going modern?

This is a discussion on Going modern? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; new restyled busa:...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going modern?

new restyled busa:

I would love a new bike, but being young and stupid I will go as fast as anything I drive/ride will go regardless of my skill level. Oh yeah and the insurance right now is brutal on an 81 gs400 never mind something bigger and newer. However if I had to list off a few....

Triumph triple 1000, Daytona 675, Hypermotard
    Ducati 1098 and Paul Smart 1000
    KTM Super Duke

If I end up getting this job I am applying for I just might be able to pick up something new

Hey someone pas me the wrench........ Ahh screw it where is the torch

[quote]
    I would love a new bike, but being young and stupid I will go as fast as anything I drive/ride will go regardless of my skill level. Oh yeah and the insurance right now is brutal on an 81 gs400 never mind something bigger and newer.

We've all been there. Cheap insurance is one of the very few advantages of getting older. When I was looking at my GSXR I called my agent for a quote. When she called back with a price I'm like don't worry about it there's no way I'm paying that much a month to insure a bike. She says no, that's for a year. Wasn't sure if I should be happy or pissed that I'm officially too old to be dangerous.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

For some reason, that Hayabusa reminds me of the old BMW K1.

My modern bike is a '95 Triumph Thunderbird, which I bought new when my '72 Bonneville was my daily rider. Have had almost no trouble with it at all. Tachometer has gone south twice, once under warranty. Been commuting on my cb360 lately though, because the garage is right outside my bedroom window & the 'Bird is too heavy to push uphill to the street for starting. My wife's tired of being awakened at 4:00 AM.

If I'd known my wife really wasn't going to ride on the back when I bought it, I would've gotten a Speed Triple.

Edited by - judeyramone on Aug 05 2007 09:15:34 AM

Speaking of Insurance, I could not believe how cheap it is when you get older. But, why is the insurance on my 1969 Honda CA160 $64 a year, but the exact same coverage on my 1964 Ducati Monza Jr. is $167. The Duc is not a sport bike. No one at the insurance place could explain it to me. That is the same price as a year of ins. on the Suzuki GSX600 Kantana I just sold.

New bikes.....I have a 94 Sportster as the main street bike, but I much more enjoy throwing the 74 CB360(an almost too modern bike for me) thru the twisties.

My wife mentioned selling the Sporty to get a bike we can both ride on, so I think I will take Champs advice and start looking for a 80's BMW. My wife likes Gold Wings, but I an not THAT old yet. Any other sugestions for a good, comfortable two up road bike for two "mature" sized people?

You paid $167 a year to insure a Katana 600? Damn I am beeing ripped off it is $1400 a year for me and I have a clean record. You guys have it good in the States with all of the insurance companies competing.

Hey someone pas me the wrench........ Ahh screw it where is the torch

quote:

My wife mentioned selling the Sporty to get a bike we can both ride on, so I think I will take Champs advice and start looking for a 80's BMW. My wife likes Gold Wings, but I an not THAT old yet. Any other sugestions for a good, comfortable two up road bike for two "mature" sized people?

If you want to go vintage, Suzukis tend to be the most comfortable. I would do either a first Generation GS750 (77-79) or a GT750 waterbuffalo. I rode a 78 GS750 yesterday and a GT750 at mid ohio (jack you saw me on it at the sundial paddock) and both were hella comfortable and I would have no compuction about touring 100s of miles on either one. If you want a litle more modern an early 80's gs750 with the 16 valve head is also nice. Roller cranks make them damn near indestructable.

Honda's VFR is always a good choice. I had a buddy with a vf1000f (1984) and that bike rocked! plenty of room and 100 hp. not buzzy on the highway or anything.

Some people really like the fjr, I am not one of them, but it is a sporty two up bike you can ride from here to cali in your...ahem...mature age.

[quote]quote:
    My '78 GS1000 IS my modern bike:

There's one of those sitting in a backyard about four blocks from my house that I've been trying to get my hands on. It has quite a colorful local history, sort of a two-wheeled urban legend. Then to get me even more motivated, last week I see one sitting in front of the local sign shop with GSXR wheels and forks. I whip in to look at it, turns out the owner/builder is a guy I know. I may be hitting you up for advice.

Back to the topic. If I could get over thinking they're ugly, my next bike would be a 'Busa. What I've ridden my buddy's it's super comfortable and wicked fast.
    This is a sweet looking bike. About 20 years ago, I had a 1979 GS1000E I rode that bike everywhere... Rosko - I would get a late 1980ties BMW K75. My recently sold K75 would pound out the miles with little to no maintenance. They really don't even break in until 20,000 miles. Here was my slightly modified 87 K75. TT can verify that it could hold its own in the twisties....

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t.../bikes3004.jpg

I wish I would never had sold that bike. If you have cash, I'd buy the new BMW F800S.

Yeller'
    ---
    Ask not what the wanker can do for you, but what you can do for your wanker!

Edited by - Pete Casper on Aug 06 2007 2:18:23 PM

i want my vfr750 back. i also want my fz600 back!

should of never sold them, but someone had to pay for the wedding!

texy

[/quote]
    TT can verify that it could hold its own in the twisties....
    [/quote]

yeah, for a bike with supersquare/superhard touring tires, a center of gravity that i needed an extension ladder to reach, and a load of unsprung weight in reflective gear, it rocked. you could ride it hard...but with my inseam, i could hardly ride it.

-tt

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links