Flat track & desert sleds
Close

This is a discussion on Flat track & desert sleds within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Been meaning to become more active on this forum for a while. But been super busy trying to build some bikes - specifically Flat Track ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Flat track & desert sleds

Been meaning to become more active on this forum for a while. But been super busy trying to build some bikes - specifically Flat Track and Desert Sleds. Wondering if anyone else has been becoming more interested in these types of bikes and/or races them?
    Would love to hear some stories, see some builds and generally hear opinions (which I know this forum is NOT lacking in ;-)
    TrialsRider likes this.
    Steven 'Fenix' Maes
    Art Director • Musician • Cafe Racer
    Rustisgoldracing.com

Hi, I've been interested in flat track for a while too. There's a track near me( Parris Race track in Riverside, CA) and I have a few old bikes that I think would be fun to do that way. Mainly because I got them at garage sale or Craigslist, and the fees to register them put them off the budget. As a race bike they need less parts and the left overs can be sold off to offset the cost? Also trying my hand at vintage (old guy) racing is on my bucket list. I've seen some nice CB/CL 450 flat track bikes and I have a CB500t that I'm thinking of building into a flat track bike. I may start a thread on it soon.
    \'78CB750f,\'76 cb500t,\'5-CB/CL450 basketcases,\'68 CL175,\'66 CA77/in a CL72 frame,\'1971 DT1f,1988cbr1000f,1987cbr1000f

oldhondacafe I have started racing vintage class here in New Mexico - decent track at SMRI and a few of us are really getting into it. I stripped down my 1975 BMW R75/6 into a pretty quick little road racer.
    I acquired a 1975 Aermacchi SX250 that is a perfect desert sled or flat track 2 stroke canvas. I'll keep this thread active with updates and pics.

My BMW Road racer
    Name:  BMW-r75_Racer.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  85.4 KB
    Steven 'Fenix' Maes
    Rustisgoldracing.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Flat track is nice, you can do that anywhere you can find a horse track to tear up, what's not to like about a motorcycle with little to no brakes that you slide around corners!
    Desert I don't have but we do get snow and the lakes freeze over at least once a year, different type of desert is like a really cold wet slippery desert.
    Fenix likes this.

Dunno if mine really counts, but the picture is in the desert AND its been ridden on an indoor flat track, so the inspiration (if not function) is there. It actually did ok in both cases.

The fenders and crash bars are there for ice track riding.

sebwiersWow, thats a pretty wild ride! I totally dig the Mad Max vibe. Definitely a certain kind of Desert Sled.
    Steven 'Fenix' Maes
    Rustisgoldracing.com

That looks totally safe
    header pipes straddling the front shock, do you find they work any better that way?
    probably melts the snow off pretty good eh

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    That looks totally safe
    header pipes straddling the front shock, do you find they work any better that way?
    probably melts the snow off pretty good eh
    Shock doesn't seem to have any heat related problems. I had my concerns so asked some pros, they said not to worry. Not like I had other options.

The real danger is the lines to the oil cooler which run under the shock - I melted one on my first long road trip. To much shit packed in to little space down there.

Claude Fiore did basically the same thing back in the '80s, complete with oil lines touching the headers.
    Last edited by sebwiers; 10-17-2019 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    Been meaning to become more active on this forum for a while. But been super busy trying to build some bikes - specifically Flat Track and Desert Sleds. Wondering if anyone else has been becoming more interested in these types of bikes and/or races them?
    Would love to hear some stories, see some builds and generally hear opinions (which I know this forum is NOT lacking in ;-)
    Not sure you want to hear this opinion, but..... had a look at your web site and would suggest you change the photo you have under Custom Retro Builds.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Hey Cyborg. Yeah, haven't had time to get that page up. That's a quick picture from a bunch we snapped from the coffee shop buildout we did. The grinding wheel cutting square tubing for a table doesn't sell the "bike build" aspect?? Lol.
    Steven 'Fenix' Maes
    Rustisgoldracing.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links