Amazing what NOS parts are out there. - Page 2
Close

Amazing what NOS parts are out there.

This is a discussion on Amazing what NOS parts are out there. within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by Geeto67 .... I bought a bike last year out of a barn that had motorcycles stacked up like cord wood and only ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Amazing what NOS parts are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Geeto67 View Post
    .... I bought a bike last year out of a barn that had motorcycles stacked up like cord wood and only when the old timer moved to AZ and couldn't take them with him did he sell. ...
    Was his name Toms Jack?

Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post
    I keep trying to demo one at a local dealer here but apparently they are flying off the shelves.

Seating position on one was horrible for me....i guess the gt one. The standard looked promising
    yeah, the GT has a more "sporting" position. It's not full sportbike tuck, but they are rear-sets. Because I am taller and fatter than anybody has any right to be on these bikes it felt perfect for me, but I prefer a sporting position anyway. I have to imagine if you are 6' and under it might feel a little more intense. The INT650 put my leg to sleep, which is actually a problem I have been having with my cb750 as well, so it's an "authentic" vintage upright seating position from my perspective.

I def understand the appeal and can see why dealers are having a hard time keeping them in stock. 3 year warranty (vs 2 years for a bonnie) plus being $3K-$5K cheaper than a bonnieville or a w800, it's a real bargain for a bike with that much curb appeal. Seriously, the Thruxton R is more than double the price of a continental GT, and while the Thruxton R is 100% double the bike that the RE is (ohlins suspension, brembo brakes, almost twice the hp), in terms of just how they look, the RE could steal looky lous from the Thruxton R easily.
    Last edited by Geeto67; 10-23-2019 at 09:40 AM.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
    The story of their 80+ year(?) survival is likely more interesting then the part itself.
    https://www.mecum.com/lots/LV0120-40...-original-box/
    I keep hoping that someday, a NOS headpipe and muffler for my pristine FT500 Ascot will appear online or at an auction. I keep dreaming that these parts are sitting in a warehouse or a in a Honda dealer's parts department somewhere. While working at a Honda dealership in the 80's, I remember being told that Soichiro Honda had vowed that parts would always be available from Honda for all motorcycles they ever manufactured. Not sure if this is true, but it's certainly not the case now.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TrialsRider View Post
    Was his name Toms Jack?
    nope

Quote Originally Posted by upperb View Post
    I keep hoping that someday, a NOS headpipe and muffler for my pristine FT500 Ascot will appear online or at an auction. I keep dreaming that these parts are sitting in a warehouse or a in a Honda dealer's parts department somewhere. While working at a Honda dealership in the 80's, I remember being told that Soichiro Honda had vowed that parts would always be available from Honda for all motorcycles they ever manufactured. Not sure if this is true, but it's certainly not the case now.
    Honda is a little tough because in the 90's/2000's Honda corporate offered motorcycle dealers credit for any old (1970's and 80's) parts they couldn't sell. Lots of stuff including tanks and seats and pipes went in the dumpster crushed. Still, I have looked at enough old honda dealer inventory for sale to know that what you are looking for is absolutely out there, you just need to find the person who has it. Often times that person is an old timer who isn't super internet savvy and has this stuff sitting in a warehouse or barn on his rural property waiting for the time when his heirs will have the estate auction. So my advice? get to know all the rural old timer motorcycle people and read a lot of estate and farm auctions.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Not sure if the old man made that vow, but very likely true. At one time you could get virtually anything if you were prepared to wait. It usually took a knowledgeable dealer parts manager who knew what parts analysts to talk to at the regional Honda Office. As you stated, you can no longer just order what you want... those days are long gone. With all the different models and product lines, it obviously doesn’t make any sort of business sense. There are lots of dealers that have way too much in the way of old parts because they never followed “normal” business practices with regards to parts obsolescence. Geeto is correct about the crushing... or land fill, up here that occurred a couple of times.

What part #’s are you looking for?.... edit. Never mind. The fellow I normally ask looked up the #s . He said Good Luck! None up here. , but said he would try https://www.chpmotorsports.com/ or https://faymyers.com/inventory/New/honda/ who used to have a lot of old stuff, but not sure of current situation.
    Last edited by Cyorg; 10-23-2019 at 02:59 PM.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

um, I have an old Ascot, how bad are yours?
    ... muffler is shot.

This looks very close to the original....https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/f...lencer_-_black
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"

Ascot parts in Canada. First link has used headpipes. The second link is a page, the guy from Winnipeg has a lot of parts, may have what you need.
    https://www.kijiji.ca/v-motorcycle-p...rts/1429265764
    https://www.kijiji.ca/b-canada/honda-ft500/k0l0?dc=true

Geeto, Cyorg, Trials, steveo and woodsman,

Many thanks for your kind suggestions and offers. I will follow them.

I have several of these bikes, in various states of tune. I purchased one of them a couple of years ago from a guy in KY, who had owned it since new. It has, according to him, never seen rain. He added a White Bros. pipe shortly after buying it and gave away the original. With an original, factory exhaust, it would truly be like brand new. As many of you know, the black chrome that Honda and other m/c manufacturers used in the 70s/80s required alot of attention to keep from rusting and pitting. I have a couple of decent exhausts that are lightly rusted/pitted, but would like to find one that is new or like-new.

I have tried to find someone who will re-chrome one of my decent ones, but, apparently, the chemicals used to perform the process are difficult to handle/dispose of and far fewer platers do it these days. In a query I made about the subject awhile back, Geeto informed me that the black chrome of today is not the same as that the Japanese manufacturers used in the 70s and 80s. In addition, the plating shops I have talked with said that, even if they still did black chrome, they would be reluctant to dip my used exhaust in their tanks, for fear of contaminating them.

I wanted one of these back in the mid-80s when Honda was selling them off for $999.00, complete with warranty. As many of you also know, until the price-drop, they weren't very good sellers. However, with tuition to pay and having just purchased a heavily-modified CB400F, an Ascot was just not to be.

The part number for the exhaust pipe is 18320-MC8-611. The muffler p/n is 18310-MC8-677. If, in your travels, any of you come across these parts in new or like-new condition, I would sure appreciate your kindly letting me know. I will post if I am able to obtain these parts from any of the sources that have been suggested.

Again, many thanks.
    Last edited by upperb; 10-24-2019 at 07:26 AM.

Try gun black.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links