Amazing what NOS parts are out there. - Page 3
Close

Amazing what NOS parts are out there.

This is a discussion on Amazing what NOS parts are out there. within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Originally Posted by upperb Geeto, Cyorg, Trials, steveo and woodsman, Many thanks for your kind suggestions and offers. I will follow them. I have several ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Amazing what NOS parts are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by upperb View Post
    Geeto, Cyorg, Trials, steveo and woodsman,

Many thanks for your kind suggestions and offers. I will follow them.

I have several of these bikes, in various states of tune. I purchased one of them a couple of years ago from a guy in KY, who had owned it since new. It has, according to him, never seen rain. He added a White Bros. pipe shortly after buying it and gave away the original. With an original, factory exhaust, it would truly be like brand new. As many of you know, the black chrome that Honda and other m/c manufacturers used in the 70s/80s required alot of attention to keep from rusting and pitting. I have a couple of decent exhausts that are lightly rusted/pitted, but would like to find one that is new or like-new.

I have tried to find someone who will re-chrome one of my decent ones, but, apparently, the chemicals used to perform the process are difficult to handle/dispose of and far fewer platers do it these days. In a query I made about the subject awhile back, Geeto informed me that the black chrome of today is not the same as that the Japanese manufacturers used in the 70s and 80s. In addition, the plating shops I have talked with said that, even if they still did black chrome, they would be reluctant to dip my used exhaust in their tanks, for fear of contaminating them.

I wanted one of these back in the mid-80s when Honda was selling them off for $999.00, complete with warranty. As many of you also know, until the price-drop, they weren't very good sellers. However, with tuition to pay and having just purchased a heavily-modified CB400F, an Ascot was just not to be.

The part number for the exhaust pipe is 18320-MC8-611. The muffler p/n is 18310-MC8-677. If, in your travels, any of you come across these parts in new or like-new condition, I would sure appreciate your kindly letting me know. I will post if I am able to obtain these parts from any of the sources that have been suggested.

Again, many thanks.

I think the muffler part number supersedes from 677 to 611. You likely already know this, but when searching EBay, make sure you search for the original part number and any supersessions. I found an obscure NOS part for CBX 550 brakes in the US, which is odd given the bike was never sold down there.

Header is 18320-MC8-003 ss > MC8-611
    Muffler is 18310-MC8-671 ss > MC8-611

I didn’t mention David Silver Spares assuming you would have already tried them.
    Wonder if you might find someone who does ceramic coating that would be a decent match.
    Name:  DA016317-139B-4F03-9300-BF59B6FBBF12.jpeg
Views: 22
Size:  24.4 KB
    Last edited by Cyorg; 10-24-2019 at 10:41 AM.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Trials,

Thank you for that suggestion. Maybe a gun finish would come close.'

Cyorg,

I have spoken with David Silver Spares, with no luck. In eBay searches, I have, indeed, neglected to use superceded part numbers. Thank you for bringing this to my attention!

Ask a gun fixer upper guy, you have way more of them down there then up here, I think there is more then one process option, hot or cold.
    gun barrels have to withstand hot just like motorcycle pipes,

I'm going to give it a shot on one of my trial headers this winter, might be able to let you know how that works out in a couple months.
    Last edited by TrialsRider; 10-24-2019 at 06:03 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Speaking of NOS parts I have a clutch cable for an older TY350 if anybody wants it, holler if you need it.
    part # 44J-26341-00
    it is looking for a good home.

Quote Originally Posted by upperb View Post
    Trials,

Cyorg,

I have spoken with David Silver Spares, with no luck. In eBay searches, I have, indeed, neglected to use superceded part numbers. Thank you for bringing this to my attention!
    You are welcome. Those part numbers were gassed in 2006, so all things considered.... its a reasonable amount of time to have parts available. I can see why they wouldn’t want to stretch it out any further.. given the volume of different models etc. I think the US regs require 10 years for auto parts..not sure about M/C. Anyway good luck with your search. Always liked those bikes... except maybe for the starter gears.
    "Non urinat in ventum"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links