900 dollar bike strikes back!
Close

This is a discussion on 900 dollar bike strikes back! within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; well the GSX250 gave me back what i paid for it today, had the front brake piston sieze shut on me on the way to ...

well the GSX250 gave me back what i paid for it today, had the front brake piston sieze shut on me on the way to a bike shop.

didnt notice it at first, thought i just lost a bugger load of power, wondered why i couldnt get over 60km/h then realised... OH SHIT theres smoke pouring out of the caliper... not fun

130 dollar to get the shop to do it for piece of mind since ive never resealed the piston and given it a bit of a service. thats mostly labour cost though.

but bloody hell, how hot do discs have to get to turn BLUE... theres little to no warping, alot of glazing and a few scratches but its salvagable...

but damn... BLUE

well that was an experience today... anyone have anything similar happen lately?

No matter how old they get, guys don't understand when to take their bikes to the shop, even after 3 stripped oil plugs and a completely missing set of engine mounts.

the back brake on my 78 cb750F did that once. Turns out the sliders were too gummed up with brake dust to release the pads off the disc. CB750 discs are stainless steel and at one point I had a rainbow of discoloration all around the disc, no warpage though.

A lot of times when the brakes stick it is because the drainback in the master cylinder has gummed up and the line is just holding residual pressure.

the drainback eh? where is that and how easy is it to resolve? since i might as well check it out before i send it off to get the piston cleaned up.

No matter how old they get, guys don't understand when to take their bikes to the shop, even after 3 stripped oil plugs and a completely missing set of engine mounts.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

quote:
    the drainback eh? where is that and how easy is it to resolve? since i might as well check it out before i send it off to get the piston cleaned up.

not sure on a gs250, but on cb750s there is a little hole inside the master cylinder that allows the fluid to drain back. sometimes it cloggs. You can take the cover off and using a high e guitar string (ot any tiny piece of wire) try to open the passage. If it is blocked the fluid will come squirting out under some pressure so WEAR GLASSES.

The other thing you can do is to remove the pads and clean the brake dust from inside the caliper. Sometimes buildup can cause sticking of the pads which leads to more buildup and eventually a frozen caliper.

these are things you can do to try to fix it yourself without cracking open the brakes.

Its not rockett science. Because engineers figure all this stuff out for you.If you are not mechanically inclined you should take it to a shop .Poor man raked over the coals and wallet emptied.If you are mechanicaly inclined dont guess about any system like brakes get a service manual or go to a library and read about your system then go ahead and fix it.

Anyone not mechanicaly inclined should have a good sized hobby fund as shop rates are high.May be wiser getting a new bike nothing vintage at all.Vintage bikes and cars have been tinkered with over the years and takes years of being mechanically inclined to discover its not you or the bike but the previous owner.

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

Sponsored Links