Clubman VS Clip-Ons
Close

Clubman VS Clip-Ons

This is a discussion on Clubman VS Clip-Ons within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Sorry for the noob question... I am new to bikes in general and have seen alot of you go back and forth about how much ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Clubman VS Clip-Ons

Sorry for the noob question... I am new to bikes in general and have seen alot of you go back and forth about how much you dislike one option vs the other. But can each of you list your personal list of pros/cons. Thanks,

quote:
    Sorry for the noob question... I am new to bikes in general and have seen alot of you go back and forth about how much you dislike one option vs the other. But can each of you list your personal list of pros/cons. Thanks,
    GAME ON!!!

NCNR

Everybody knows how much clubmans rock!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

bfd
    clubman lover and proud of it
    clipon snobs can suck it

[quote]
    clubman lover and proud of it
    clipon snobs can suck it

Geet, I think bfd is lookin for a fight!

to answer the actual question (I don't own either so this is just what I've gathered from reading on here):

[u]Clubmans</u>
    The Good:
    -Cheap
    -Gives you lower bars and that "cafe" look without going to sport bike ergos

The Bad:
    -May hit tank
    -Some people may laugh at you (only applicable if you give a crap)

[u]Clip Ons</u>
    The Good:
    -Looks more sporty
    -Gives better handling characteristics
    -More expensive but if you shop around (or ask people on this forum) they aren't that much more.

The Bad:
    -More expensive
    -Will give lower grip position possibly being uncomfortable to the rider

This is the gist of what I've gathered from doing reading on here. I do not own either (yet) so don't quote me on any of this.

The best kind of justice is angry mob justice.

Jwood...dude...if you read ANY of the previous posts on this subject you would realize what a shit storm you have brought upon yourself. Were you dropped on your head as a child?

In an effort to keep this civil:

Cons of (Cheap) Clubmans:

1) Clubmans are non-adjustable (unless you spend for the really nice fully adjustable ones like tomaselli makes). When ever you drop the handlebars below the level of the tank the one size fits all mentaility doesn't work.

2) The original design was for narrow small bikes in the 60's. This doesn't really translate to the larger big bore (espically japanese) bikes of the 1960s. What works on a mid 60s BSA is not going to work on a 70's SOHC 750 Honda.

3) They are cheap in every sense of the word. I have seen champ's clubamns in person and his are very nice. I even own a set of the fixed tomasellis and they are nice too. But 80% of the bars out there are not, they are cheaply made, cheaply chromed, and what is worse they attract cheap motherfuckers who have no business holding a wrench to do "work" on their bikes, which leads me to the next point...

4) They are GAY. They are laso now as much a fashon accessory amoung hipsters as white belts, beatles haircuts, and apparently old hondas. There are many different sizes of clubmans but do you think these arseholes have enough sense to figure it out? no. At mid ohio I saw a twenty-something rockabilly cat trying to fit clubmans made for little italin bikes under 350ccs to a cb750. If I see these on your bike, espically with out rearsets, I am going to assume that you don't know anything about bikes and if your tank has dents from the clubmans hitting in turns....

5) clubamn rash - the sum total effect of being a moron and buying a cheap pair of clubmans is the bars end up hitting the tank. This is a personal pet peve of mine, and if I see it, it could mean your ass. And people on this forum are not exempt from this kind of stupidity. There used to be a guy on here from bayside with a cb200 that he sold to a friend of mine. I finally saw that bike about a month ago and it had bad clubman rash.

6) if you don't have rearsets yet why are you even looking at clubmans? seriously? plenty og guys get a bike and the frist thing they do is thow low low bars on the bike because it is cheap and quick. All of a sudden their semi-comfortable vintage bike is a torture rack good for 15 minutes of riding at most. Even monkey-fucking-football sport riding positions seem more comfortable in comparison. Build a bike is all about total packages, thowing bars on to make yourself look cool won't earn you any points amoung the people who actually know what they are doing.

as a final note, if you are intelligent and mechanically savvy these shouldn't be a problem. A well built bike with clubmans can look really nice (champs riverside proved that), the problem is that it is rare for anybody to get it right. If you think you have it right, ask yourself do I have any lingering issues because of my bars? if the answer is yes then you really ought to think about clipons. this really wouldn't be a problem if clubmans didn't attract bike morons like honey (and not everyone who has clubmans is a moron btw).

I think that covers it.

I figured this could turn into a heated debate. Keep in mind though that i am not supporting either option. I have no experience riding or working with non stock bars. In fact my only previous cycle experience has been dirt bikes. Thanks for the info.

Any huge clubman fans out there want to take a shot a Geeto's post?

ohhhhh shit...... I think NOAA is predicting a hurricane...

Yeller'
    ---
    Ask not what the wanker can do for you, but what you can do for your wanker!

I think my bike looks better with clubmans than clip ons. Granted I had to cut my in the middle and widen them up so I didn't hit the tank anymore (they still touch the tank, but the steering lock stops them from hitting it)

After I get done putting my bike back together though with all the nice fresh shiney paint my bike may look bett with clip ons. We'll have to see what happens

22/m
    1980 Honda CB750
    1972 Oldsmobile 442

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links