Giro Article in RoadBike mag - Page 2
Close

Giro Article in RoadBike mag

This is a discussion on Giro Article in RoadBike mag within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Okay, thanks JAM and BFD. I do have aftermarket Progressive rear shocks on it. Busihings are fine. I will check the swing arm and stearing ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Okay, thanks JAM and BFD. I do have aftermarket Progressive rear shocks on it. Busihings are fine. I will check the swing arm and stearing head tightness this evening.

Yeller'
    ---
    Ask not what the wanker can do for you, but what you can do for your wanker!

Edited by - Pete Casper on Aug 23 2007 1:31:48 PM

I have a couple friends with older BMW's, and they say a "death shake" at around 40mmh is common and fixable via new steering head bearings.

PeteN has some experience with these.

On my duc, the steering was very heavy, and the bike seemed like it always wanted to just Flop over to the left. At speed it would weave a bit. Very disconcerning. I had no back to front movement, but when I took the forks off, the majority of the bottom bearings were broken in half. Replaced the bearings, with Champs excellent advice, and it was like a new bike.

quote:I have a couple friends with older BMW's, and they say a "death shake" at around 40mmh is common and fixable via new steering head bearings.
    I had the same problem on my "59" BMW. Had to much tire pressure.

http://www.vintagebmw.org/current/ne...ech/tech23.htm

JS

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

quote:
    quote:I have a couple friends with older BMW's, and they say a "death shake" at around 40mmh is common and fixable via new steering head bearings.
    I had the same problem on my "59" BMW. Had to much tire pressure.

http://www.vintagebmw.org/current/ne...ech/tech23.htm

JS
    As always, very helpful hints. Thanks

Yeller'
    ---
    Ask not what the wanker can do for you, but what you can do for your wanker!

I used to be in the habit of buzzing my dad while we were out touring on our BMW airheads. I'd lay back unsuspecting like, wait for a good opportunity than I'd roll on it, blasting by him a couple feet away, closing speed about 50 mph+ (EPCO pea shooters are not quiet BTW). It was always best when pulled off while he was not paying attention. He'd do the same to me occasionally so it was considered good clean fun between us when conditions permitted. Well this one time up in Canada (near Trenton, ON) I buzzed him,layed down on the tank, flat out on my R100 good for at least 120 mph. Got a death wobble that just about qualified as a tank slapper/seat pincher, and just about crashed in front of him. Just slowly backed off the throttle and it came out of it. Never thought a crash was so eminient before and didn't. Anyways, I think my problem was due to irregular front tire wear. Never found any problem with adjustments either. I don't buzz him like that anymore as I don't think it's good for either of our hearts.

Jeff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links