How young is too young to teach your kid to ride?
Close

This is a discussion on How young is too young to teach your kid to ride? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Ok guys, looking for some support here. The ex-wife doesn't want me to teach my daughter to ride but I've got other plans... She's a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ok guys, looking for some support here. The ex-wife doesn't want me to teach my daughter to ride but I've got other plans... She's a little demon and she loves to hang with me whether I'm working on trucks/cars or bikes and loves to tag along when we go out camping and riding.

So I asked her last weekend:

Me - "Honey, if daddy bought you your own little dirt bike would you ride it?"

Hannah - "Well, couldn't I get hurt?"

Me - "Well, yes you could. But the idea is to teach you while your young to respect the machine and the road so you know your limits."

Hannah - "Hmmm...and you would teach me how to ride?"

Me - "Yes, of course sweetie. And as you get older if you like it I'll be there to help you if you want to get into racing or trail riding."

Hannah - "I don't know Dad, I don't think Mommy will like this. You know how stuffy she is. I mean, she doesn't even like me to play in the dirt. You let me get all dirty and it doesn't bother you."

Me - "Well sweetie, this would be for you and me to do. Not you and Mommy so I think we'll be ok. Just let me talk to her."

Hannah - "Ok. Can I get a pink helmet?"

...any how! It's obvious she is game. My question is this - I started when I was about 7 riding motocross, an XR80. She is very small and petite at 7 years old though. So long as I had her geared up she would be protected my only worry is balance getting her started. I was thinking about just moking up some training wheels and bolting them to the bike some how...?

I heard on an interview that Mouse McMcoy's "ran the baja 1000 solo and placed 12th after a horrible wreck" father tought him at 3 and tied him to a string. When he went to fast he pulled back on it....

Am I nuts here guys? Can anyone share comments from their families and what went down when they/their kids were growing up? I just refuse to have a child who doesn't understand simple driving mechanics when she turns 16 and gets a license. Please tell me I'm not the only one.

Thanks,

Jason

...i did it one piece at a time

My ex-GF's son was 7 when I started him riding. We had awesome times. I always told him one thing; "it doesn't matter if you go fast or slow as long as you're having fun(and safe)". I never let him on the bike without full gear. He became a very competent trailrider. Sometimes I'd take him through tough obstacles on purpose just to see what he'd do. If he couldn't deal he'd just stop and make me backtrack but most of the time he'd be right behind me. Too bad his mother gives me brain damage LOL.

Just keep it fun and laid back. The guy we got his first bike from had dove off in the deal like his kid was gonna be the next RC. Six months later they're selling everything. I felt bad for that kid and wondered if he'd ever ride anything again.

is she riding a bicycle yet?

NCNR

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

If she rides a bike, why not?

They make training wheels for little dirtbikes;
    http://www.wheels4tots.com/

I see learning to ride a motorcycle like learning to handle and shoot a gun, everyone should learn it once in their life and learn the RIGHT way.

Even when she is older she will have this knowledge and be able to apply the proper safety and riding techniques to situations that will arise (i.e. she won't be the girl in flip flops, cut offs and a corona tank top on the back of a GSXR).

Plus, girls that know how to ride motorcycles are so cool.

FR
    My two cents; I'd get the ex's approval and consent, for lots of good reasons legal and familial.
    I think 7 is a little young, but if she wants to do it, fine. I started my kids out on a minibike, B&S motor, skid brake, no suspension to speak of. They loved it, although it was still a handful for my daughter when she was 9. An XR50 is a good choice, if she doesn't like it, you can keep it and ride it, or race it, or sell it without losing too much, 'cause they don't really depreciate too much.
    The key is having a safe place for her (and her friends) to ride, and no pressure from Mom or Dad, other than be safe, and have fun....

FR

I started my daughter on a Honda Mini trail when she was 9 or 10. She loved it but never did anymore with bikes until now when at 24 she wants a scooter to buzz around Portland.

My son was put on the same bike when he was 7 or so and immediately rode it into a fence. He has never gotten on a motorcycle since and has no interest though he did corner work at the expert 101 school once.

Last child (18)got his permit this summmer and has rode in a parking lot once. He likes riding but has to learn how to shift and use a clutch first--he can't drive a standard car either.

If the girl wants to learn, and can hold the bike up, go for it! Training wheels are actually a good idea. I remember they used to sell them for the small hondas and other minibikes. I agree with what Marv said about learning right and it stays with you all your life.

I started my daughter on a Honda Mini trail when she was 9 or 10. She loved it but never did anymore with bikes until now when at 24 she wants a scooter to buzz around Portland.

My son was put on the same bike when he was 7 or so and immediately rode it into a fence. He has never gotten on a motorcycle since and has no interest though he did corner work at the expert 101 school once.

Last child (18)got his permit this summmer and has rode in a parking lot once. He likes riding but has to learn how to shift and use a clutch first--he can't drive a standard car either.

If the girl wants to learn, and can hold the bike up, go for it! Training wheels are actually a good idea. I remember they used to sell them for the small hondas and other minibikes. I agree with what Marv said about learning right and it stays with you all your life.

Don't count out pocket bikes...

http://www.minipocketrockets.com/x18...r-pocket-bike/

If you have a go cart track near you, there's probably a pocket bike club racing there. And they'll have a kids class.

Don't count out pocket bikes...

http://www.minipocketrockets.com/x18...r-pocket-bike/

If you have a go cart track near you, there's probably a pocket bike club racing there. And they'll have a kids class.

quote:
    I see learning to ride a motorcycle like learning to handle and shoot a gun, everyone should learn it once in their life and learn the RIGHT way.

Even when she is older she will have this knowledge and be able to apply the proper safety and riding techniques to situations that will arise (i.e. she won't be the girl in flip flops, cut offs and a corona tank top on the back of a GSXR).

Plus, girls that know how to ride motorcycles are so cool.

...truer words never spoken.

plus, good riders make even better drivers and we could certainly use more of those.

NCNR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links