Cafe Racer Forum banner

Yes please!!!!

5K views 41 replies 17 participants last post by  Geeto67 
#1 ·
From the Kneeslider:

CB1100r concept bike..........GIMME!!!!!

Lead, follow or get out of the way!

See less See more
#3 ·
seems like everyone wants to build a ducati monster.....
kind of retroish....i like it

There is the right way, the wrong way and the british way to do anything!

#5 ·
I'm not sure about he 'Monster-ish' comment but most certainly retro. I really like the idea of a bike with modern performance and retro styling. This is a very sweet looking bike, I hope they build it!

Lead, follow or get out of the way!

#6 ·
y'all need to look up the original 1983 cb1100R bikes to full appreciate the "retro-ness" of that bike.

Forget the monster, the cb1100R was where it was at in 83 (if you lived in another country besdes the US since they never sold them here).

#10 ·
retro to the max really its a bute!!!
Id buy one .I see where some one would think ducati..if honda race bikes are not in their memory banks.
But its pure honda even the half fairing helps hammer the retro feel home.but you instantly see the frame hangs the engine gran prix style or like a honda cm,but dual tubes.only thing ducati is the tail light/license plate hanger.
Great instant classic bike!

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

#11 ·
people forget that the monster was a retro bike when it came out in 1992, ducati's attempt to recreate the old "standard" bikes drawing influences off the old sport and supersports as well as old triumphs, nortons, and hondas. At the time a majority of the bikes being made were either repli-racers or crusiers, with the nighthawk being the only other standard selling at the time. Sure it redefined the sport standard and created interest in an otherwise dead market but not ever retro bike made today is a copy of the monster.

#16 ·
More original cb1100r images, this time a 1982 and 83. Red white and blue predates the interceptor.

1500 models were made each year (1050 in 1981).

some of the cool original things that this bike had were:

- carbon fiber fairing. This replaced the earlier fairing as it had a tendency to lift the front end at high speed. I am not sure but this may be one of the first uses of carbon fiber on a production motorcycle

- Vented disc brakes. The rotors were hollow inside like a car's rotors to aid in cooling

- Braided brake lines thoughout the bike. This sucker stops. The 1981 cb1100R is the first honda to use dual piston calipers. All the F bikes got these brakes in 1982.

- liberal use of black chrome. Actually this is something the cb1100F and R share in common. They also share a swingarm which was boxed steel instead of tubular.

this doesn't seem all that cutting edge now but remember this was 1982!

#21 ·
that 80's square head light makes it look dated and heavy.A styling-Q they picked up on,in this new preposal.They mirrored the wheels with a modern lighter twist.But over all if they build it ....IT WILL SELL.
Its always amazing to me, gas tanks, modern ones, are really a cover for electronics,injection and airbox intakes and a small miss shaped fuel cell.I think its a good thing because it at least still looks like a bike.Imagine the big with out the tank look baring the tank as it actually is.
And on the other hand maybe they should,leave the tank cover off, so they can whittle down the other components

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

#23 ·
love that oil cooler vent. if the oil wasnt air cooled....well....

i was gonna say magnesium. really. i was.

kurt liebmans hrc cb750 superbike we had at the shop had magnesium engine cases and oil sump. thats right, a real deal hrc 750 lived in that dump for years. it looked almost new. even had a 1981 ama tech sticker still on it.

jc

#24 ·
I was hoping for magnesium too. My RC has mag engine covers, valve covers etc. Exciting in 2000... common place now. Now Honda is using a kind of muted green/gold color on their mag parts... I like the gold color on that old CBR better.

Nice to see an air cooled modern sport bike. I guess they have their reasons these days...but for the most part water cooling just seems like another thing to worry about and another gauge to watch. I'd just soon the engine get hot, have no water, no gauge and I live in ignorant bliss. A bit of oil cooling is the best answer. The RC has two radiators and an oil cooler and a lot of other crap I've never even thought of taking apart. Simple is better.

And yes I'm still liking the bike more every time I look at it.
JohnnyB

PS. Of course that bike is WAY too cool to ever be sold in the US.

Edited by - jbranson on Sep 21 2007 5:14:21 PM

#26 ·
quote:
I was hoping for magnesium too. My RC has mag engine covers, valve covers etc. Exciting in 2000... common place now. Now Honda is using a kind of muted green/gold color on their mag parts... I like the gold color on that old CBR better.

Nice to see an air cooled modern sport bike. I guess they have their reasons these days...but for the most part water cooling just seems like another thing to worry about and another gauge to watch. I'd just soon the engine get hot, have no water, no gauge and I live in ignorant bliss. A bit of oil cooling is the best answer. The RC has two radiators and an oil cooler and a lot of other crap I've never even thought of taking apart. Simple is better.

And yes I'm still liking the bike more every time I look at it.
JohnnyB
PS. Of course that bike is WAY too cool to ever be sold in the US.
Yeah, Not sure if Mg needs paint or not. I like a little touch of the gold without being overstated, as well; it's nicer to look at than the neutral greenish metalic that I've seen Honda use for the Mg sidecovers for their thumpers.

You never know, if there's enough interest, one of these bikes could make its way stateside. I wonder if there's a way to lobby American Honda for such a thing...hmm...

I also agree with you 100% on the air cooled engine thing. Not just for mechanical complexity, for aesthetics, too! I just love seeing as little crap as possible on a bike. I'm coming from a street/dirt tracker's perspective, but I think there's a strong overlap with the cafe world in that regard. Minimalism really matters to us in a way. That bike's engine might be straight out of 1981 technology, but I think that was maybe the last couple years of engines that interest me anymore.

Fuel Injection? Nah, no thanks. And liquid cooling's not my thing either. Everyone ballyhoos the old honda hawk 650's from the late '80s. Nice 650 twin. But man, if they only made that pup air cooled!

I don't even like e-start, but I suppose you have no choice with a big engine. (600cc singles, however...).

Ah, Luddites united,

Adam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.