New guy
Close

New guy

This is a discussion on New guy within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hello all I about to embark in an epic journey to building my first cafe racer. I have decide to join this forum in order ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy

New guy

Hello all

I about to embark in an epic journey to building my first cafe racer. I have decide to join this forum in order to assist me in the build and to meat fellow riders. I have been reading past threads and noticed that there are alot of helpful members with alot of experience in building C.R.

I will be working on a 1971 CB350. I purchased this bike from the original owner about 2 1/2 years ago. I kept the bike stock until now that I have discover Cafe's. Let the good times roll.

I did what last night !!!!

welcome

got any pics of that bike?

A couple of things:

- The search function is your friend. So much has been talked about here that chances are whatever question you have has already been asked and answered.

- Fill in your location in your profile. If there are local peeps to you this helps them know that and they can help you get into other local bike related things and some not bike related things...

- A lot of us on this board know each other in real life, so things get pretty jocular around here. Don't take anything personal (espically if someone calls you gay over your handlebar choice), we fuck around a lot.

- When posting tech questions, always always always post as much information as possible. It sounds stupid but also post the year and make and model of your bike. Can't help you if we don;t know what you are working on.

- A lot of guys here are racers or ex-racers in one form or another so there is a big emphasis on funcationality of the motorcycle over looks. You'll see how often this comes up.

Some friendly advice:

- Don't ask about clubman bars. It has been done to death. While the do fit on your bike there are pages and pages and pages about what bars to choose and how to figure out bike egoronomics. read that first. As one of the board assholes and a card carrying member of the "clubmans are gay" association I consider you to have been warned.

- Same above goes for "Knee indentations"

- Don't let what people say here intimidate you into not working on your bike. Lots of us have a gruff manner but all in all the idea is to help.

I'm sure more will add to this so I am punching out for now.

welcome to the monkey house....

There is nothing like a warm greeting to start things right. I will post pictures of the project later today.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

as mr friend chris is fond of saying:

never confuse hairy and sweaty for warm and fuzzy...

there are guys here from whom you can go a long way toward "cafe" heaven. parts like rims, (nice) folding foot pegs, and bars (clubmans and clip-ons both). (try "champ") and smart engine guys (like jbranson). and an endless supply of other guys with points of views worth hearing out but not taking too seriously.
    parks

i think geeto is slipping. that was very nice and well writen. helpful and caring toward the new guy.....WOW lol

There is the right way, the wrong way and the british way to do anything!

please visit the faq threads and learn how to post pictures and follow the links to find the shop manuals for your bike...cheers

...connoisseur of slack...

Here are the pictures of the 1971 Honda CB350 at its present state. i will post more pictures as the project progressis.

Edited by - geeto67 on Sep 28 2007 6:21:14 PM

Gotta get rid of that sissy bar. Looks like the hideous unholy off-spring if a diner chair and a wrought iron fence had hot sweaty babymaking sex....

That bodywork however is in really nice shape. My advice is if you are planning on repainting it you should get a junky tank and side covers and keep that OEM candy green out of the sun.

I know this is probably not what you want to hear right now but....I am going to wager you are new are riding too. If this is the case I would swap out those high bars (which can't be comfortable) for a nice set of superbike bend or drag bars and just get comfortable riding the bike the way it is first while you plan out on paper all the changes you want to make.

If you want to go clubmans or clipons you really ought to do rearsets at the same time so you are comfortable, so while you are gathering those parts a nice euro style bar like those mentioned above will help you get used to riding in a more "sporting position"

I'll go out on a limb here and say that that bike should probably be left alone . . . yes, get rid of the sissy bar and maybe some lower bars, but it's a nice bike . . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links