2008 Ninja 250r
Close

2008 Ninja 250r

This is a discussion on 2008 Ninja 250r within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; any thoughts on the 2008 ninja 250r? looks like the makings of a great club racer... cheap too. BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK. www.NYCvinMoto.com ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Ninja 250r

2008 Ninja 250r

any thoughts on the 2008 ninja 250r? looks like the makings of a great club racer... cheap too.

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
    www.NYCvinMoto.com
    www.VinMoto.org

Edited by - ROSKO on Oct 03 2007 12:39:26 AM

Its about time they updated that bike. I've been considering buying one for back and forth riding to work and what not since their suppose to get great gas milage and their fast enough you won't get run over on the hiway

22/m
    1980 Honda CB750
    1972 Oldsmobile 442

My wife had one for a couple of years. Fairly bullet proof bike. Could be a little cold blooded though.
    JohnnyB

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

i think they look hot! Here in Oz it could be the death of the much loved CBR250

I'd definately get one as a commuter

I like it and would commute on that. A spec race class would be fun too after they are out for a few years and show up on the used market.
    Any speculation on how much dough?

Jeff

it's still green

looks like a good place to stuff an old 2 stroke motor in....

actually the ninja 250 is probably one of the most fun bikes ever made. I hate that there are a good many people who scoff at this bike as not being fast enough when it will carry my 280lbs fat ass over 100mph easily.

quote:
    looks like a good place to stuff an old 2 stroke motor in....

actually the ninja 250 is probably one of the most fun bikes ever made. I hate that there are a good many people who scoff at this bike as not being fast enough when it will carry my 280lbs fat ass over 100mph easily.
    Jeff G over on the Kawi two strokes board has a Ninja 250 with a bum engine that he is planning on stuffing an H1 engine into. Should be a little screamer.....

Plus it seems like used Ninja 250s hold their value pretty well....

Jim

quote:

Jeff G over on the Kawi two strokes board has a Ninja 250 with a bum engine that he is planning on stuffing an H1 engine into. Should be a little screamer.....

Plus it seems like used Ninja 250s hold their value pretty well....

Jim
    Out of curiosity, what's the legality of doing somthing like this?

My CB450 project:
    https://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2827

...everything's legal as long as you don't get caught...

seriously though, it depends on several factors, two of them being where you live and how you register it.

A good deal of states have smog programs and emissions standards, a few even test bikes for such. If you live in a state (Like Louisiana for example) where vehicle emissions are not a concern and the yearly check is a safety check then you can swap away to your hearts content and not worry about running afowl of the law provided you register the bike as either the year and make of the frame or the engine. If you live in a state where emissions are a huge concern (like NY or CA), then you are pretty much forced to register the bike according to the registration papers of the engine donor's frame numbers to be "legal" (which even at best is shady). Some states laws prohibit the removal of stock pipes and other such parts from new bikes so just thinking about building something like this in those areas could have you running afowl of the law, but if they don't have visual inspections to check, you won't get caught.

There are three ways you can register a bike like this:
    1) as a 19xx-200x kawasaki ninja according to the chassis frame paperwork. Basically nothing changes in the paperwork department. If your state has visual or emissions inspections

2) as a 197x kawasaki/yamaha/etc whatever donor you pull the motor from according to the donor's FRAME number and paperwork. this will involve stamping the old frame number into the new ninja frame, which can be considered illegal in some states.

3) as a custom. Every state has their own system as to how to register special built vehicles, so check with them. However there has been a federal mandate that you only get to build one emissions exempt custom bike in your lifetime, so this could be it for you.

so the short answer are there are ways to build something like this legally and illegally, you just have to figure out how to jump the landmines in your home state.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links