XS650?
Close

XS650?

This is a discussion on XS650? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Any one here currently own an XS? If so what year? What are your likes? Dislikes? I have heard of some vibration issues, are these ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XS650?

XS650?

Any one here currently own an XS? If so what year? What are your likes? Dislikes? I have heard of some vibration issues, are these noticable?

I know that there are people here that have own one in the past. What are your overall feelings about the motorcycle? What year did you have? Why did you get rid of it?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am currently in the market for an XS650 and I really like to be well educated and will listen to anyone's opinion who is willing to offer it before I make a purchase.

-Kyle
    1979 Yamaha XS650 Special
    https://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12991

I owned a 76 XS650. Loved it. Decent power, handling was ok...good rear shocks and some fork work help. Brake was adequate. Nice looking bike, and has a bit of personality to keep it interesting. Vibrates quite a bit sitting at a stop light, a good kind of low frequency vibration. Never vibrated enough at speed to bother me.
    Great engine, lots of roller and ball bearings...can practically run them without oil. Put about 30,000 miles on mine before I wrecked it. Lots of hop up parts and info for them.
    Some day if the right one comes along I'll buy it.
    JohnnyB

Edited by - jbranson on Nov 06 2007 4:54:18 PM

Thanks for the input Johnny B, I pretty set on the XS650 and I have never really heard anything too negative about it. Anyone else have any more input on the XS.

-Kyle

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

quote:
    Thanks for the input Johnny B, I pretty set on the XS650 and I have never really heard anything too negative about it. Anyone else have any more input on the XS.

-Kyle
    I have heard of some having stator or charging issues. Other than that, buy it already (and NO PROJECTS). Remember the earlier the better (xs1s and xs2s are hawt).

I've had three friends with 650's. Two had shit 2nd gears. The third is still running strong after 20 years of hard riding with not much in it.

Anybody ever had tranny issues with one of these? (I don't want to seem biased and misinformed on the internet, after all.)

Honda go sideways!

My friend has a '73 XS650, which he is in the process of selling in fact..

He put 1500 miles on it this summer. It had sat 18 years before he bought it last April. He really didn't do much to it besides a tune up and a new battery.

He started having severe vibration issues, and it started popping out of 5th gear alot. So he took off the side cover and found a couple broken clutch discs and a broken spring. He replaced those and the cable and while it still vibrated, it worked for another couple of months.

We went on a ride a couple weeks ago and it was vibrating so bad that 30 miles in he was saying his butt was numb, plus it was popping out of 5th again, it got a little better when he loosened his chain slightly, but it still popped out from time to time

He took it apart again and found nothing wrong, he really doesn't know what was wrong, he was thinking of upgrading to a different bike anyway, so hes selling it to a coworker who wants to restore a bike.

I myself have a '78 XS400, it was very well taken care of, same mileage as my friends 650 but way better shape. We actually stayed neck and neck in a drag race the last day we went riding.

--------------------------

1978 Yamaha XS400. Stock for now.

Edited by - ZMan on Nov 06 2007 9:06:43 PM

"put about 30,000 miles on mine before I wrecked it" . . .. there's a story here we wanna hear. . ..

That story ends with a broken back, two broken hands, the ball of my right foot cut off.

I was riding in the rain and a guy made a left turn in front of me. Course I was going about 10 mph over the speed limit...and it was raining. So crashing in the rain is not a new thing for me.

JohnnyB

Geeto, the xs1 and all are cool and unique but they have two real problems:

1.) less aftermarket parts not a big deal really.

2.) they sell for way more money which is a big deal on a college kids bank account.

I am currently looking at like a 76-79 and i dont plan on buying a project. I want a bike that runs nice and i can just improve as I have money available. I have around $1700 but am hoping to spend around 800-900 on the bike itself.

-Kyle

My roommate has an '80 XS650 and a guy I work with had the same bike. I've ridden them around a little bit and I would definitely get one except for that charging issue that Geeto mentioned. Both of them had bad stators and it's a $250-$300 (check www.mikesxs.com). My roommate paid $500 for his and my coworker got his for free, so it was hard to justify putting that much money into it. The guy I work with said he coud get about 1 tank's worth of riding per battery charge and never bothered to fix it. My roommate only rides around town about 30 miles at a time so it doesn't bother him either, but what does he know, he's selling it for a sportster (lame). Anyway, I guess the point is that it seems like a good bike, you'll just want to make sure it charges because that can be a pain in the ass and too expensive to fix relative to the cost of the whole bike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links