Ice screws?
Close

Ice screws?

This is a discussion on Ice screws? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Studding up the TTR. Should I bother cutting up an old tire to make a liner? KoldKutters are cheap enough that I'll probably go that ...

Thread: Ice screws?

Ice screws?

Studding up the TTR. Should I bother cutting up an old tire to make a liner? KoldKutters are cheap enough that I'll probably go that route ($15/250).

Rob,
    I cut up the thinnest, smallest tire I could find and stuffed it in there. I think it depends on the depth of your knobs if you really need to do it. I used Kold Kutters also. Worked fine. Here's a hint though....install LESS than you think you need and work up from there, not the other way around. I ended up with way too much traction and not enough HP....so I highsided like 40 times in three hours....no I'm not kidding.
    JohnnyB

FR
    You'll only need a liner if the screws are longer than 1/2 inch I think. When I used a liner I screwed it in from the inside out using some flush head screws, then I think I put some tape over 'em or something so the inner tube wouldn't chafe against 'em. The liner does help increase the sidewall stiffness.
    On knobbies I ran 1 screw per knob on the front and two per knob on the rear. I don't suggest using less than that. But that was on a YZ125 so it did have enough power to keep the wheel spinning. Any way you decide, be careful first time out. I think what happens is you go out and are encouraged by the traction at first, but when you start picking up the speed and increase the lean/slide, more screws are exposed to the ice and thus the potential for a high side.
    I use Cheng Shin enduro tires on the XR100, and they'll easily hold 500 screws per tire. Fun. I went out a couple years ago with some guys that were new to ice riding, they had screws in their knobbies as described above, but all "big" bikes, 250's etc. None of them could catch me, never mind pass me 'cause they were just spinning their tires. Next year a new guy was with us and I heard one of the dudes telling the new guy my bike was the fastest. Funny.
    Where are you going to ride? We northerners have to get together somewhere.

FR

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Cool, just order 500 1/2" screws. Thinking of just cutting up some old carpet as a liner instead of trying to cut up an old tire.

As for where... dunno. There's a bunch of trails around me. And anywhere the snowmobiles can go, we can go. So that's basically everywhere in NH. But that also means you need a registration sticker.

There is a group that rides on a pond between Manchester and Concord. Have to find out exactly where.

I'd be up for a weekend trip somewhere in NE. I can bring firewood.

FR
    Couple things to keep in mind. The Kold Kutters and all the rest are really designed for ice racing. You can ride on trails with them but I can pretty much garantee you'll lose some. The only problem with that is that somebody else may "find" them in their tire, probably not a problem for moto, but for bicycles or others it may be.
    The other thing is that trail riding with 'em will dull them much quicker, and to the point where they really won't work well on ice.
    (The guys that race on ice use tire covers to protect the screws and keep them sharp as much as to protect anything that comes in contact with 'em.)
    Once again, not a big deal, especially if you don't mind buying new ones every so often. I've heard of people using super glue, don't bother, a useless PITA.
    Since I'm primarily interested in riding on the ice, I bought extra wheels for my KTM and YZ and have them set up with ice tires. I use 1" screws with liners. They're not something I want to take apart every season. I'm actually building the KTM wheels this month.
    The best trail tires are still the studded type, like Trelleborg or Michelins, but they're also wicked expensive and don't last very long either. And they really suck on ice, just safe enough to cross a pond or stream.
    If I haven't posted it before check out this site;

http://dieseljo.com/ice_motorcycle_ice_riding_home.htm

Good info.

FR

Okay, now THAT's BALLS.

Honda go sideways!

http://groups.google.com/group/co-ohvinmoto

Edited by - krapfever on Dec 10 2007 10:50:59 PM

Sponsored Links