Bultaco Metralla
Close

Bultaco Metralla

This is a discussion on Bultaco Metralla within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; When I picked up my GS1000 the guy selling it said to come back and he'd show me some other GS stuff he had, which ...

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Bultaco Metralla

When I picked up my GS1000 the guy selling it said to come back and he'd show me some other GS stuff he had, which included a wrecked GS550 with safety wiring and Konis, but he also has a bunch of other crap that he hasn't touched since he was crippled in the accident that wrecked the 550.

Sitting in a corner of the garage between a freshly powder coated (in 1982) RD400 frame and a Yamaha AT-1, was a crusty looking Bultaco.

I asked about it and he said it was a Metralla street bike. I'd never heard of one before, but I've looked them up and they are damn sweet. It's missing quite a few parts, so I think it would make an awesome cafe 'stroker.

I'm headed over there to buy some more GS stuff from him (NOS oil cooler, Accel points plate and coils, filters) and I plan to talk to him about the Bultaco. I think I'll come with a wad of $100s and see if he'll cut it loose for $400 or so. I know they're worth $3000-$4000 in restored condition, but this one is far from that.

I wouldn't go above $200 unless he could put a title in your hand.

When restoring any off brand bike (bultaco, husquvarana, mv agusta, etc...) take the number of missing pieces and multiply it by $500 and that should give you a ball park figure of how much it will cost to get running condition (and that is a conservative number, it can cost more).

250cc 2 strokes are fun bikes, but don't let the mystery of something cool looking fool you into thinking it is a good idea.

I wouldn't go above $200 unless he could put a title in your hand.

When restoring any off brand bike (bultaco, husquvarana, mv agusta, etc...) take the number of missing pieces and multiply it by $500 and that should give you a ball park figure of how much it will cost to get running condition (and that is a conservative number, it can cost more).

250cc 2 strokes are fun bikes, but don't let the mystery of something cool looking fool you into thinking it is a good idea.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Good advice - it's missing front fender, fork covers, chain guard, side panels that I noticed.

Good advice - it's missing front fender, fork covers, chain guard, side panels that I noticed.

robman
    geets is a bright guy virtually all the time but his $200.00 limit shows he's clueless on this one. bodywork is important, true. but they fetch a bit more than your guess as 100 pointers. a full resto is 2K min. and easy to go over 3k if there are missing parts and a lot of engine work req. if you aren't interested, let me know as i have restored many tacos and have two going on now. wouldn't mind another.
    -parks

robman
    geets is a bright guy virtually all the time but his $200.00 limit shows he's clueless on this one. bodywork is important, true. but they fetch a bit more than your guess as 100 pointers. a full resto is 2K min. and easy to go over 3k if there are missing parts and a lot of engine work req. if you aren't interested, let me know as i have restored many tacos and have two going on now. wouldn't mind another.
    -parks

parks...I have no idea what bultacos go for these days, just throwing out my general rule of thumb for dealing with offbeat machinery. Had no idea that they trade for so much (my value guide says about $10K).

and yeah...when it comes to off beat marks and pre 1970's bikes I'm basically useless.

There is one lingering question, is this the appropriate bike for him to "restore"? he was talking about "cafe"-ing the thing and well, sometimes good canidates for restorations can get butchered by well meaning individuals.

and yes sometimes I am a know-it-all too....

Edited by - geeto67 on Dec 14 2007 6:40:50 PM

parks...I have no idea what bultacos go for these days, just throwing out my general rule of thumb for dealing with offbeat machinery. Had no idea that they trade for so much (my value guide says about $10K).

and yeah...when it comes to off beat marks and pre 1970's bikes I'm basically useless.

There is one lingering question, is this the appropriate bike for him to "restore"? he was talking about "cafe"-ing the thing and well, sometimes good canidates for restorations can get butchered by well meaning individuals.

and yes sometimes I am a know-it-all too....

Edited by - geeto67 on Dec 14 2007 6:40:50 PM

agreed...it would pain me to see a butchered taco. that being said, metrallas have great potential as cafe platforms. with missing parts,(ie f. fender and side covers) (one being a tool box) a bit of artistic license is acceptable. the power is very good for a 250 of any period (100 mph top speed) and the handling is (considered by many) superior to any bike in it's day. thus their blue chip value. parts (all) are expensive (especially the ones that you're missing) but available...
    i set up my first metralla as a cafe/street legal roadracer with clip ons, rear sets, a bultaco roadracing tank, cup seat, and a snappier than stock engine configuration. rode 8-9k miles on the street and started vintage roadracing on it with the uscra by taking off the lights etc. to race and putting them back on after race weekends. the position was racey but not good for more than an hour in public. got tired of the swap over deal and position and eventually took it off the street to go 100% race mode and still race it today 13 years later.
    restored another a few years back 100% stock but with clubmans (sorry geets). as sold, metrallas are wonderful vintage bikes. can ride all day long on it in comfortand can ride stupid fast if neccesary (but don't...have a kid now).
    keep it (the resto) simple, the bike/engine stock, and the end result can be a super cafe bike.
    sorry guys, tmi, but i've loved these bikes for a long time.
    -parks

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links