Cafe Racer Forum banner

ebay trader screwed me!

4K views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  krapfever 
#1 ·
Few weeks back i bid on some stuff, then some more of the same stuff came up from another trader, so just in case i missed out on the first stuff i bid on the second lot of stuff too,I set my max bid for both lots of stuff, then i get a message from some dude saying that last time his stuff sold for more and i should up my bid.I said stuff you! and next thing i know both lots of stuff went straight to max bid,That sort of stuff is not coincedence me thinks. But then Im new to ebay trading so my story is probably not that new to regular users i suspect,Id just like to know how common that stuff is.

#28 ·
quote:
The original Mad Max movie used Austrialian Ford Falcons (XB's I think either way they are third generations, which are more like our torinos than falcons and which were only produced in aussieland) and the big black bad mutha at the end was a Falcon GT with a special nose.

if you want to see more about aussie falcon GTs:

http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/car_info_ford_falcon_gt.htm

and the mad max car:

http://www.madmaxmovies.com/cars/interceptor/history1.html

14 of the motorcycles were donated for the film by kawasaki, so the majority of them are a kawasakis. Goose rides a kawi triple as his personal bike and a 1977 kz1000 as his mfp bike. Most of the biker gang rides kawasakis too, mostly KZs. Except for Toe cutter and the creepy blond guy the bikers in the gang are actually the Vigilantes, an aussie biker gang from that time.

Like American Falcons? After for discontinued the falcon line it continued to produce the 1962 model in Argentina where they were continously produced until the mid 1990s with only minor styling upgrades:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Falcon_(Argentina)

unfortunatly the only 2 door in that lineup was the old flacon based ranchero. Still I would love to have a 1962 falcon here with one of those second gen 1970 front ends just to be different:

http://galerias.netfirms.com/galmodel.htm

how ugly is a modern (1991) falcon:

http://galerias.netfirms.com/galmodel.htm
nerd.

'72 cb750
'75 cb750
'76 cb750

#29 ·
i vote yes.

nerd...thats funny. geeto looks like the kind of guy who should be at the game universe at the mall everynight. but then he would go out to his gto and fucking smoke the tires off of it on the way out of the lot. or wheelie out on a gt750
and youd be too afraid to fight him cuz, well, hes just fucking huge!!

jc

#31 ·
Funny, that mad max thingy allways comes up! Did you know the "Interceptor" was the name given to the police highway patrol spec'ed ford falcons, Think they were factoy fitted from a crate u.s. shipment with boss 351 4 bolt main engine,lsd rear, bigger discs and long range tanks,only supplied to New South Wales Police, hence Quite rare at the time, And way cool to get hold of one, Hence Mels coolness in that Movie. If your into mucsle cars the aussie spec Commadore is nice. basicly GM but better. WWW.hsv.com.au THe monaro line is cool and goes right back to the late 60's with GM 350 Small blocks and there own 308 ci. Steve. p.s thanks for all the feed back on the ebay thing,nice to keep up with whats going on there.

#32 ·
quote:
i vote yes.

nerd...thats funny. geeto looks like the kind of guy who should be at the game universe at the mall everynight. but then he would go out to his gto and fucking smoke the tires off of it on the way out of the lot. or wheelie out on a gt750
and youd be too afraid to fight him cuz, well, hes just fucking huge!!

jc

It's really funny because I used to have a goatee and a pony tail. In college after the freshman 25, people started making vague allusions that I began to look like comic book guy from the simpsons. For the records, I don't really like comics or D&D or any kind of fantasy stuff that isn't a mural on the side of a van, but I am a notorous racing game and flight simulator addict. My job is some what research oriented and beauracratic in nature so I also have a penchance for research and am kind of a stickler for getting facts right (usually because I get so much stuff wrong...)

as for the mad max nerd stuff....a long time ago I had toyed with the idea of making a mad max replica here in the states. First I looked into importing an xb falcon, which at the time nobody was doing it and in the end it looked too expensive. Now there is a company who will import and title one for you, as long as your pockets are deep. Then I though about building it out of a 71 torino since it looked close enough in the hind quarters, but then I came to my senses and realized I am not a ford guy and went back to work on my GTO. Besides my goat looks way cooler and more menacing in the orginal burgundy/black primer/heavy rust exterior that she wears now. Seriously, little kids and household pets run in fear from it.

#33 ·
quote:
Funny, that mad max thingy allways comes up! Did you know the "Interceptor" was the name given to the police highway patrol spec'ed ford falcons, Think they were factoy fitted from a crate u.s. shipment with boss 351 4 bolt main engine,lsd rear, bigger discs and long range tanks,only supplied to New South Wales Police, hence Quite rare at the time, And way cool to get hold of one, Hence Mels coolness in that Movie. If your into mucsle cars the aussie spec Commadore is nice. basicly GM but better. WWW.hsv.com.au THe monaro line is cool and goes right back to the late 60's with GM 350 Small blocks and there own 308 ci. Steve. p.s thanks for all the feed back on the ebay thing,nice to keep up with whats going on there.
flexing my automotive nerdiness, the interceptor name here in the states was one that was given by ford to any high performance vehicle they were offering for minicipal and government use (although for a while the general public could buy them too).

Ford began calling engines the Y-block powered sedans interceptors after police agencies began requesting 292 and 312 ci thunderbird motors in fairlane sedans (I think '54 or '55 was the first year). The 312 interceptors still had thunderbird valve covers but would also have an interceptor decal on the engine somewhere (usually on the side of the valve cover). Ford continued to use the interceptor name on the engines more than the cars - the biggest one being the 428 police interceptor in 1966-69. The Police Interceptor 428 contained an aluminum intake, high performance camshaft and beefier connecting rods to produce 360 hp. Ford restricted their sale of police interceptors to government agencies sometime in the 1980s, probably when they were introducing the SSP 5.0 mustangs in 1982 (up until that point any joe schmoe could walk into ford and order a police spec car). ALthough their official name is Special Service Package, a lot of people refer to these hot rod mustangs as interceptor mustangs. they really are interesting to read about and there is a ton of information here:

http://www.sspmustang.org/

Anyway, Ford brought the police interceptor name back to cars instead of engine packages in the 1990s with the crown vic police interceptors. In the 2000s these cars actually have little badges on the trunk that say police interceptor. Although the crown vic police interceptor was not available new to the public, the exact same car (plus some dress up items) was sold to the public as the mercury maurader.

Interestingly enough, each company had their own name for police packages. Chrysler products were called "enforcers", oldsmobiles came with the "apprehender" package. These were my faovrites because some of them were A-body cars (f85/cutlass/442) with 425 ci fullsize olds motors stuffed in them. In 1969 Chevrolet offered a police option on their chevelles, and because they were COPO cars (central office production orders) they could be orderd with 427ci motors until 1971 and 454s in 1972 (most of them were orderd with 396ci and 402 ci big blocks). Chevelle police cars were the first time the chevy police package went by code 9C1 (which chevy still uses to this day on the impala).

A lot of people think that the 1969 Dodge polara with a 440 is the fastest american police car used in actual service, and that may be true based on MPH top speed alone, but police cars are usually set up for acceleration (most police package cars run gear ratios in the 3.27:1 to 3.73:1 range). Truth be told, the polara was upstaged by the police package Iroc camaros in the 1980s and the z28s of the 1990s. However for sheer thrills my money would be on the drug interdiction and interceptor cars built for service in florida. A few florida countys got together and replaced the 318ci motors in their 1988-89 dodge diplomats with direct connection 360ci race motors. They produced 350rwhp and 425 ft/lbs of torque and were designed to run down drug runners using sport bikes to transport drugs through rural florida backroads. If I ever find a really clean 1989 diplomat, I may build a replica of one of these cars.

#34 ·
'74 Dodge Monaco:

"It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas."

"I hate Illinois Nazis"

Honda go sideways!

http://groups.google.com/group/co-ohvinmoto

Edited by - krapfever on Dec 20 2007 7:19:34 PM

#35 ·
I had a '74 Plymouth Gran Fury during & shortly after my time in the army. Identical body to the Blues Brothers's police car, except it only had a 360 2bbl. It was a rust free car bought in TX, gold with a badly deteriorating vinyl top. Painted the hood flat black with a giant white skull & crossbones. It was the only automatic I've ever owned. And not only would it run on regular gas, it would also burn unleaded. Very important in the late 80s when leaded gas was getting harder to find.

I learned to drive in my mom's '77 Dodge Monaco wagon (yes, wood paneling). It had a 400 4bbl.

Edited by - judeyramone on Dec 20 2007 7:37:38 PM

#36 ·
While we're hijacking away...(what the hell was this thread originally about anyway?) Anybody ever see a movie called "Stone"? It was an Aussie flick made by the same director as Mad Max about a biker gang. They all rode custom Kaw 1000's with goofy fairings and custom airbrush graphics.

Really bad movie, but good bike footage. I seem to remember an awesome chase scene where the lead wheelies a Norton.

Honda go sideways!

http://groups.google.com/group/co-ohvinmoto

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.