Your thoughts on the honda twins - Page 2
Close

Your thoughts on the honda twins

This is a discussion on Your thoughts on the honda twins within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Generally speaking, and not intentionally to piss-off geeto, the Honda fours are pigs. The cb450 has a top speed only marginally slower than any four, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Generally speaking, and not intentionally to piss-off geeto, the Honda fours are pigs. The cb450 has a top speed only marginally slower than any four, better handling in urban situations, revs to brit-killing rpm's and has two less carbs to deal with. A winning combo all around. I love the little twin but it takes abit of getting used to as the power is all at the top, you really have to get used to keeping it high strung all the time. Also consider there are ton's of race and hop-up parts available. Try browsing:

http://www.thefang.co.uk/cb500trace.htm
    http://teamhansenhonda.com/
    http://home.earthlink.net/~toddhenningracing/
    http://www.m3racing.com/products/index.html

to get you started.

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
    www.NYCvinMoto.com
    www.VinMoto.org

bcr
    Bill, you are too right about the xl350, we had one of those guys show up at a half mile in Windsor Maine and the dude cracked a can of whoop ass on us. damn, that's a super cool bike. cheers, bcr

Yeah, as you might guess from my username, I'm a bit on the biased side myself. My first bike was a CB450, and after having gone through a half dozen others, the only bike I've seen fit to keep, and collect more of, are the 450s. The reasons: They're mechanically forgiving. They make a lot of power (a little flat in the midrange, but torquey on the lowside and strong on top) for their size. The frame geometry lends itself well to a cafe conversion. Parts are cheap and available (especially when considering that nearly everything swaps with a 500T, the 450's ugly cousin that no one wants). And I also just happen to think torsion bars are cool.

I say go for it.

A

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

The 450s with, let's call them, "higher flow" pipes out the back sound friggen cool.

Please note that I am biased (note the sig).

the 4's definitely have a wider aftermarket parts availability, and there's no question that I'll own a cb750 at some point.

basically, what Geeto said.

My CB450 project:
    https://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2827

Borz, I checked out your project thread. Very inspiring. You have any updates for us?

I've been really busy doing some consulting on the side, I recently changed jobs, and the addition of my daughter (who's now crawling all over) has kept me busy. Since my garage isn't heated, I can't really paint either.

I have made some progress on the seat, I'll post some updates later.

One more thing...how many miles are too many?

quote:
    One more thing...how many miles are too many?

depends on the bike. The general consensus is that 30-40K gets into high mileage for a 450 because of engine wear. I am sure the 450 owners have more insight as to this.

Cb750s well it depends on the model. for the basic 1969-1976 K bike, if properly maintained 50K is right abut where you start to see major wear on the cam bearings as well as the lobes. Also the gear dogs in the tranny tend to wear down to the point where the shifter may not always be smooth or she might jump out of gear. 1977-78 F bikes usually go 30K (sometimes less) before the valve guides wear out and they begin to smoke a lot. The automatics tend to have the least problems with high mileage (because they are overbuilt) so a 50K cb750A will probably be nicely worn in. I know plenty of cb750s that have over 50K and a few that have 100K and have never been apart so high mileage is more a guideline than a hard and fast rule.

On think to note about japanese bikes is the speedos tend to wear out before the engines so there is also no gaurantee that the mileage is accurate. Foruntatly honda changed the look of their gauges often during a model run and it helps to find a gauge spotters guide (like the one on the SOHC4.net message board) to make sure the gauges are original to the bike.

Thanks. I'm mostly curious about 450 mileage. So a 20k bike that is in good mechanical shape is not too high?

quote:
    Thanks. I'm mostly curious about 450 mileage. So a 20k bike that is in good mechanical shape is not too high?

Shouldn't be, but the exhaust cam surface often goes to crap before that point if the oil is not kept perfectly clean and the engine is allowed to warm up. If you can pull the cam cover before you buy it, do so.

Good used cams are pretty easily available, but you have to pull the motor and strip it down to replace one.

Other than that the motor seems to be pretty durable. I blew mine up but that was with some crazy modifications and not-so-careful riding.

Like someone else said they sound SWEET with a loud pipe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links