what is going rate for 78 kz650
Close

This is a discussion on what is going rate for 78 kz650 within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; there is a really nice stock example in town, i'm curious what these things are worth? this is very clean with a customer paint job ...

there is a really nice stock example in town, i'm curious what these things are worth? this is very clean with a customer paint job (not horrible, but not professional either).

its about a 8 out of 10. (only because the paint)

he wants $1600

Shaun

'72 cb750
    '75 cb750
    '76cb750
    '82 cx500 (but mine is cool, i swear. Why don't you believe me?)
    http://www.slingshotcycles.com
    Stainless braided brake lines and other odds and ends.
    Enter coupon code "caferacer" during checkout for 15% off

is it a custom or a standard (custom was the chopper model from kawasaki - 16" rear wheel)?

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.as...K&gc=AM&gtc=MC

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.as...K&gc=AM&gtc=MC

A lot of people like these bikes, say they are much much faster than a lot of the 750s. I have no expirence with them and always thought their styling was kinda funky.

Classic Bike (the brit mag) did a dossier on them earlier in 2007. Would be worth it to pick up just to know what to look for.

If it were me I wouldn't go over $1300 for it. Start at $1000 and go from there.

$1,600 seems high unless it was low mileage and in excellent condition.

A buddy of mine picked up a decent one last year for $550-600 and put about $200 into some new parts and paint.

It would have to be real sharp for me to pay $1,100-1,200 for one or else I'd just buy a runner for $400-600 and rebuild it cosmetically myself.

Another friend bought a 1980 KZ750E last fall with less than 5K miles on it for $600.00. Still had the org. tires and brake pads! Just needs freshened up after some very long storage. Even restored it wouldn't bring more than $1,600-2,000. Even then the buyer would have to be a collector/rider of sorts that just wanted a low mileage example to tool around on while leaving his/her perfect ones garaged.

You can buy a sweet KZ1000 with less than 15,000 mi. for under $3,000 around here if your patient. One was just on the local CL for $2,650 and 13K mi. My bet is he'll get that price if not now then in a couple of months max.

You can base most of the smaller KZs somewhat on the 1000s. The 1000s are the "GOLD STANDARD" so it would be rare to see a 750,650,550 etc. bring more than one of those everything being equal.

The 650s DO have a very strong following and I dare say second in line behind the 1000s on the "I will have/I want one of those" scale.

There seems to be a fair amount of new and used parts for them as well.I see more parts for them than the 550s I have.

https://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5488

Edited by - coolatula on Feb 16 2008 7:40:03 PM

Edited by - coolatula on Feb 16 2008 7:42:47 PM

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Check out these two sites.
    Since I also own a Kawasaki I'm a frequent visitor on these forums.
    Btw, the KZ650s are some cool bikes, imo.

http://www.kzrider.com/
    http://www.cyclemadness.com/forum/

My dog is concerned about the economy. ALPO is up to 99-cents a can. That's almost $7 in dog money.

I just turned down a very nice 77 650 with low miles and Lester mags, registered and inspected for $800. $1600 is more than that bike is worth, especially in winter time.

Rochester, NY
    74 CB450
    73 Triumph Bonnie 750
    80 KZ1000 drag/street

i thought it was too much. it is about a 8 out of 10 condition wise.

so instead i got two bikes for $350. a 71 cb350 and a 76 cb550. sight unseen, but they have titles and the 550 runs. can't go wrong with that deal.

'72 cb750
    '75 cb750
    '76cb750

quote:
    i thought it was too much. it is about a 8 out of 10 condition wise.

so instead i got two bikes for $350. a 71 cb350 and a 76 cb550. sight unseen, but they have titles and the 550 runs. can't go wrong with that deal.

'72 cb750
    '75 cb750
    '76cb750
    Good for you!
    Fix them both up,keep one and sell the other and make a little cash!

https://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5488

pictures of the new bikes....

all side covers and filters were included but in a box. not a bad deal! titles and compression on both!
    http://www.slingshotcycles.com
    Stainless braided brake lines and other odds and ends.
    Enter coupon code "caferacer" during checkout for 15% off

It still amazes me the amount of of old bikes that have ribbed front tires still.
    It really dates the bikes,unless someone put on a pair just for that vintage look,which isn't that common.
    Most of the time though they are REALLY that old.

The owners will then sometimes go on about "OH yeah, we just had the bike running and was riding it around last year and "Well,all it probably needs as a new battery and the carbs cleaned out"! You KNOW they are full of BS and that those tires haven't seen a road in a couple of decades!

Great find BTW and a MUCH,MUCH better deal than that KZ650.

quote:Originally posted by coolatula

It still amazes me the amount of of old bikes that have ribbed front tires still.
    It really dates the bikes,unless someone put on a pair just for that vintage look,which isn't that common.
    Most of the time though they are REALLY that old.

The owners will then sometimes go on about "OH yeah, we just had the bike running and was riding it around last year and "Well,all it probably needs as a new battery and the carbs cleaned out"! You KNOW they are full of BS and that those tires haven't seen a road in a couple of decades!

You tend to find hondas more often than not with ribbed front tires simply because the ribbed tires greatly reduce any speed wobbles inherent in the chassis. If you have a SOHC4, accellerate then decelerate and while you are decelerating take your hands off the bars and marvel at the headshake that almost all of the SOHC4s have. A ribbed tire gets rid of that.

but you are right, most of the time they are just that old.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Sponsored Links