so make fun of me already
Close

This is a discussion on so make fun of me already within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; So, as it happens a lot, I have these great ideas that don't work out so good in practice or completely won't work at all. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

So, as it happens a lot, I have these great ideas that don't work out so good in practice or completely won't work at all.

So I have this pitted brake piston, and it is completely unavailable NOS or aftermarket (some CB750K caliper), but the caliper is in otherwise great shape. I should mention I'm a cheap bastard.

I was mucking about soldering some stuff the other day and I thought "hey, I could fill in the pits with brazing or solder!"

So I did. It came out beautifully, the pits all filled and flush, you can hardly tell there were even any pits except for some minor color differences. When I got done, you couldn't even feel where the pits were.

And then this morning, I was brushing my teeth, and I thought, "hey, brake calipers get really hot, don't they?"

Then I thought, "wonder what would happen if the solder melted and then re-solidified in my caliper under heavy braking?"

So, I need a new brake piston anyway. Don't try this! You'll be even dumber than I am because I warned you first!

I figured for as much as I give out shit here I figure reciprocation is deserved
    "This site is bullshit."

My guess is that they wouldn't get hot enough to melt the solder...not without melting the seal on the piston first.

But...I also think the solder, as smooth as it might appear, is not perfectly round or smooth and would tear the seal up anyway.
    JohnnyB

agreed, I would take it to a machine shop to make sure the bore is true
    26/m
    no bike anymore
    1972 Oldsmobile 442
    1984 GMC Sierra

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I typed you a really long answer and then hit escape right before I posted them by accident. Fuck!

anyway if it is a cb750k caliper then you can order one from honda or wait for the stainless steel ones to come around on ebay again.

most old bike aftermarket phenolic or stainless steel pistons are larger pistons that someone cut down on a lathe. My advice is to find a motorcycle piston with decent thickness that is close and take it to a machine shop to be cut down to the proper size.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

The problem with the caliper I have is that it is apparently just not available. I think the phrase I keep hearing is "for frames up to CM30151". When I looked through the parts fiche for my piston (based on the model of cb750 the guy I got the caliper from told me), the caliper that matched mine just doesn't have an available piston that I could find, so I assume the frame was beyond that frame number.

I found this piston today on CBXman.com, it is very similar:

79-80CBX Front Caliper Piston (1047cc 6cyl.) (OEM Part #45107-415-006)

I sent them an email asking for the piston dimensions, if it matches maybe I'm in luck.

mut
    I have a piston that came out of a cb750K5. It looks to me to be in fine shape. It is all yours if it will help.

Mut

thanks, mut! does it look like the one here?:

Hey guys, don't know if this will be of use to you, but one of the guys on the VRRA site posted the following just today:

I just got my RZ350 FII calipers back from a local caliper rebuilder.

The guy is absolutly amazing.

I brought him my calipers and he popped out the pistons in seconds and sandblasted them for me, gave them back and I took them home to paint with PJ1 Brake caliper paint.

Brought them back to him the next day and he rebuilt them with BRAND NEW seals (He can get seals for everything) on both sides and pressure tested them and even put new bleed screws and gave me new copper banjo washers.

Because I did the painting myself, he only charged me $40.00 per caliper. If you want him to paint or powdercoat he can do that too.

The guys name is Galvin and he knows his shit. He does tons of stuff for vintage car guys all over North America so he's used to recieving stuff in the mail and sending them back out.

Midwest Caliper
    140 Midwest Road, Scarborough, ON M1P 3B3
    Telephone : 416-751-3660

http://yellowpages.ca/bus/Ontario/Sc...did=13520512ac
    If you beat me all you have done is beaten an old fat guy. But If I beat you then you have been beaten by an old fat guy!

mut
    It does not have the groove in the piston. I imagine that is for the seal? The seal on my brake was in the calliper wall. The piston does not have that grove.

post a pic of the caliper - you have piqued my interest....
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links