Motorcyle trailer
Close

Motorcyle trailer

This is a discussion on Motorcyle trailer within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; So, I am an avid whitewater kayaker. I live very close to three great rivers. I was thinking that it would be cool to build ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mut

Motorcyle trailer

So, I am an avid whitewater kayaker. I live very close to three great rivers. I was thinking that it would be cool to build a little (light) trailer to tow my kayak to and from the river.

The kayak is 6'5" long about 23 inches wide and weights about 40lbs. With all the gear it weights about 55lbs.

The speed limit on the different river roads in no more than 45 so I don't need something that would go 100mph (but that would be cool too)

Anyone ever built a motorcyle trailer? I was thinking it could be low profile enough that a person behind me could see my blinkers and taillight.

What would be good to use as wheels? I was thiniking that mountain bike wheels might work. They are light and strong.

Any ideas?

The last time i went kayaking was also the 1st time i had really gone on a decent trip. 4 hours long nice and easy. Made it within sight of the takeout without dumping it and then i lost it on a rapid. Of course the take out was swarming with picnickers and fisherman watching me swim after my kayak through the rapids.

Trailer... How about a side car instead? That way the kayak can double as a passenger seat. or maybe you can retrofit one of these child bike carriers. http://cgi.ebay.com/Bicycle-Trailer-...QQcmdZViewItem
    dubyaohohdee
    W____o_o_d

mountain bike wheels may be strong but mountain bike tires are not really rated for the kind of loads and speed you are talking about and their small footprint will make the trailer more susceptible to rollover . Rear trailer wheels are about 12" - 14" steel rims and are pretty cheap at any camping and RV store.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

mountain bike wheels may be strong but mountain bike tires are not really rated for the kind of loads and speed you are talking about and their small footprint will make the trailer more susceptible to rollover . Rear trailer wheels are about 12" - 14" steel rims and are pretty cheap at any camping and RV store.
    ...i've waited for this day for a long, long time. I HAVE TO DIsAGREE my man!!! if the load is truely only around 55 pounds, and the total weight of the trailer is less than 200, a 26" mtb wheel would more than work. heavy, box section downhill rims, double crossed spoke paterns, (you could even go as far as bailing and soldering the crosses) and wide, large volume tires would more than suffice. strong is an understatement. you'd have nothing less than a fully capable rolling platform. BUT, that can get expensive. i'm just saying that it could work...infact, work well! it'd be sexy trick and cause more conversation at the put-in than you'd likely want to deal with.
    iphone generated fag

puss man...why the wait. it's really easy and fun to disagree with the g-man. you're spot on about mt. bike wheels. a kayak cruising down the tarmac would be an easier load to handle than a decending geeto. a custom built mt. bike wheeled trailer would be a far more elegant solution than boat trailer wheeled rig. but a more costly one....cha-ching.
    -parks
    I\'m not handsome

quote:Originally posted by parks61

puss man...
    i like it! and a well calculated camber would eliminate stability/roll over issues.

DO IT!!! post pics!!!
    iphone generated fag

mut
    I think I will do it.

Catboy, what do you mean "a well calculated camber"?

A couple things i need to think through are: Do I use steel or aluminium, how do i hitch it to the bike (and where), do I need suspension?

Catboy,

I have not doubt about the strength of the wheel catboy, I am just saying are mountain bike tubes and tires rated for sustained speeds of 45mph at almost full loading. I would be more worried about tire failure than bending a rim.

Personally, if you are going to bother building a two wheel kayak trailer why not build a two wheeled single rail motorcycle trailer that holds your kayak as well.

BTW a lot of trailers don't have shocks. In fact I am willing to say all but the big boat trailers don't have shocks. Some don't even have springs. The small rim with large sidewall tire is usually the only suspension dampning there is and what keeps your load from being beat to shit. A mountain bike rim with a low profile tire is going to pass a lot of the jolts directly to the chassis of the trailer.

A trailer rim with tire (13" rim with a 16.25 inch overall height) is $29.95. Can you get a mountain bike rim and tire setup for that?

I hope you know how to weld or have access to someone who is a welder.

Now if it were me building the trailer I would build a sprung trailer, and I would start by going to the junkyard and finding a chrysler K car. Chrysler K cars (and the minivans that use the same chassis) are I beam rear axles and depending on year leaf sprung. After that you are going to need a center backbone, cross braces, and a deck. Study existing trailers - they are simple to make if you know what you are looking at.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Check w/"the Man" before you put a homemade rig on the road. There may be requirement for trailers that would dictate the type of wheels you use. For example, I know that you cannot use mobile home wheels to build a trailer as they are not rated for continuous use.

i'd say look at bicycle trailer mounting points/systems to get a conceptual start. and look at wheelchair racers for an eyeball camber value. city tires are available for mt. bikes which would be more than able to handle a kayak load and speed. i used to do downhill mt races and the loads and speeds were far in excess of what you will prob. require of this rig. if you are mindfull of and sensitive to what you're doing, i doubt you'll have a problem with tire failure. maybe think of a two wheeled sling type of arangement to support the kayak in the middle and a separate rig which attaches the front of your boat to the back of your motorcycle....i think dragging part of a k-car around behind your bike is a bit overbuilt not to mention rude.
    -parks
    ps. if you want trailer trash cheap, go the g-man way...it will be less money spent.
    I\'m not handsome

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links