CB900F shocks
Close

CB900F shocks

This is a discussion on CB900F shocks within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; to use on a SOHC CB750? worth it? I've currently got a set of new (cheap) red wing 12&1/2" shocks, would you consider the 900F ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CB900F shocks

rat

CB900F shocks

to use on a SOHC CB750?

worth it?

I've currently got a set of new (cheap) red wing 12&1/2" shocks, would you consider the 900F shocks an upgrade or not?

Not that it's going to help you, but I'd upgrade the whole bike to the 900f! I've had both a SOHC 750 and a 900F, and the 900 is sooooo far beyond the 750 it's not funny.

rat
    Yeeeeaaaahhhh.. not so helpful.

But, as a matter of fact, I don't recall seeing a 9090f for sale in the local traders...ever.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

those shocks are 14". definately an upgrade. they'll change the stance significantly.

been lookin' at carpy's bikes have you?
    iphone generated fag

rat
    Next question...

are they rebuildable?

no they are not rebuildable.

900F/1100F shocks were an upgrade when these bikes were new, get it ----> NEW, because at the time there really were not a whole lot of inexpensive shock options and the 900f shocks are 1" longer and have a remote reservoir. Now a days, while the extra length helps, they are just worn out old crappy honda shocks. Remember they are still factory shocks and that means they are not good oil and are valved for everyday riding not sporty riding. Plus every pair you are going to find is like 20 years old. Unless you find a mint NOS pair the majority of them will be ragged out.

They used to be a cheap upgrade, but now everybody and their brother on the SOHC4 board (man those guys are a bunch of followers sometimes) wants a set because they look cool so they are bid routinely up to $100. They were fine improvement when you could get them for $30 a set but at $100 bucks a set I would rather have a set of hagons, redwings, progressive suspension, etc....shocks because they are BRAND NEW. In ordering a new set of shocks I would order the DOHC setup anyway since the 1" longer does seem to do a world of difference for the SOHC.

i don't know what is going on with vipex, but they were awsome upgrade shocks for the DOHC bikes and I actually had a set on my K5 for a short while and they flat rocked. They were $242 shipped to my door and had a remote resevoir, decent springs, and good oil in them.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

BTW DOHC cb750 shocks are the same length and don't have the reservoir and I believe they are still super cheap on ebay. Some years they even have a switch on the bottom for adjustable dampening.

I wouldn't pay more than $40 for any OEM Honda shock regardless of look, unless I was doing a 100 point restoration.

As a 1982 cb900F owner I can verify that these bikes flat rock. However, my 900F has marzocchi shocks on the rear that a previous owner put on when the bike was still fairly new if that is any good indication of how well thought of the 900f stockers are. However nothing beat the SOHC stock rear shocks for sheer awfulness.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

BTW DOHC cb750 shocks are the same length and don't have the reservoir and I believe they are still super cheap on ebay. Some years they even have a switch on the bottom for adjustable dampening.

I wouldn't pay more than $40 for any OEM Honda shock regardless of look, unless I was doing a 100 point restoration.

As a 1982 cb900F owner I can verify that these bikes flat rock. However, my 900F has marzocchi shocks on the rear that a previous owner put on when the bike was still fairly new if that is any good indication of how well thought of the 900f stockers are. However nothing beat the SOHC stock rear shocks for sheer awfulness.
    i just picked up a pair off of these very shocks off an '81 750F for my '79...including the damping switch at the bottom and the two way preload adjusters from the salvage yard in excellent shape for $60. 10 years ago, before ebay completely changed the was salvage guys price and sell shit in a store front, they'd have likely been half that.

anyway, i like 'em. good shocks. not the greatest, but they'll do just fine. i'm kind of a light weight anyway and the rearend is substantially lighter now too.
    iphone generated fag

rat
    I just spoke to Brian from Vipex.

They have a "second generation" shock coming out soon for a $300.00 price point.

there was a yss dealer at the NY motorcycle show this year and the stuff looked pretty good:

http://www.yssusa.com/products_yss.html

the alloy bodied shocks are a little pricey ($169) but their stock style replacement are $89 (but they are slightly shorter - 10mm - than what you have now). The only better deal I can think of is sometimes boge shocks come up on ebay (they are mexican made versions of the german originals) new in box for $69-$79.

You can order piggy back gas shocks for a cb900f/1100f for your SOHC - the specs are: part number RG302-360TRCL-20, 360mm length, FORK 13 style bottom. you can contact them for price.

- Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links