Benelli Tanks? - Page 2
Close

Benelli Tanks?

This is a discussion on Benelli Tanks? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Those are some really good points, something worth listening to. You have a lot of experience here so I'm gonna trust it. So far the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Benelli Tanks?

Those are some really good points, something worth listening to. You have a lot of experience here so I'm gonna trust it. So far the bike has been at a friend's garage, but will be nestled up in mine this weekend. I'll have more time and ability to pay attention to detail, etc. Overall though that sounds smart, I'll probably re-think some of my plans.

As for CM models and value vs. others...I would love to get my hands on a Kawasaki; I'm partial to Kawa. In the end though I'm looking for a good project, I would love more value from the bike, but honestly, this was just a $100 to pick up a project. I could keep it, dump it, sell it, love it...it's all in the air right now.

Did you actually refer to your bike as being "nestled" in your garage?

That nestling has got to stop. Right now.

At least until you have something British in your garage to nestle.

(I can't believe I actually said the word, 3 times no less. I think I'm going outside right now to kick my own gay ass)
    ffarl likes this.
    Many a man who falls in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole girl. - Evan Esar

Yea, perhaps the "n" word was not right, by any stretch of the imagination. 3 times though...

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Geeto, +1 +1. What a lovely didactic. A rather altruistic pedagogical homily, if I might say so myself. Seriously, Geeto has hit the metaphorical nail on its head. From person experience, my "really great deal, the $500 RD350" has quickly disclosed itself as quite the financial endeavor. These old bike rarely will serve well as an investment....

zr140th, it sounds like you have some great plans for a cool little bike (even though the market has been flooded with those crappy Benelli tanks...). Just be sure to get the dang thing on the road ASAP. Spring/Summer is time to ride. Winter is time to build a cool bike. I would encourage you,zr140th, to just get your little bike running and get out there to enjoy it. Swallow your pride and drive an ugly bike for a few months. As you get used to its actual mechanical requirements, then fix it up. You might drive it around and realize that you hate the way the thing rides, or you might fall in love with it. Try to be as pragmatic as possible, and your bike will serve you well. For me, I will focus on things in this order: (1) get the engine running (2) clean carbs & set points. (3) fix brakes (4) Chain (5) tires (6) aesthetics.

Peace and grease
    fang
    Even the softest of things can pass through The Fang.mp3 like invisible water.
    Tired of eating CRAP!

So Benelli tanks are garbage?

i ordered the same one. i haven't gotten it yet, though.

Well, if I'm gonna give it the ol' try and ride it first and then see what I want to do, I'm gonna need a good tank. I saw that one on here from the CX500, saw a couple on Ebay. I'm also thinking about getting some Red-Kote and seeing if that'll work on the stock tank. Anyone tried it or a product that's similar?

quote:Originally posted by zr140th

So Benelli tanks are garbage?
    they aren't garbage, but they are repro tanks which means thinner metal than an original. For restorations they probably would be just ok, for custom work they are ideal.

I think he meant crappy as common, since a lot of cb people seem to be buying them lately.

custom bikes are always built twice, once for the hard work and then again to make it pretty.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

quotek...tearing the bike down is probably about the worst and most time consuming way to build a bike. Really a full teardown is more for cosmetics than it is for repair and replace kind of work. It is a common newbie mistake and usually insures that the bike never gets finished.
    Amen - I tore mine down to bolts, albeit after at least getting it to run first, and it would have been much better to do things one bit at a time.

My problem is that I just can't stand to do something half-assed. This is why it's taken me over a year so far.

quotek...tearing the bike down is probably about the worst and most time consuming way to build a bike. Really a full teardown is more for cosmetics than it is for repair and replace kind of work. It is a common newbie mistake and usually insures that the bike never gets finished.
    I disagree. I found the process very rewarding. Yes, I'm a newbie, but I dare say I have more fun building the bike than actually riding it (maybe). You can get to my website by viewing my profile. On it, I documented every step on my CL350 build. I'm out maybe $1200 in the CL350, and if I were to sell it, I'm sure I can recover the cost.

I don't know anything about CMs, so maybe the above does not apply. Just my opinions.

--Chris

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links