blinkers / running w/o them
Close

This is a discussion on blinkers / running w/o them within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; anyone here drive a street bike w/o blinkers? ever been harassed? i live in oklahoma and we don't have inspections. i drive my bike ALOT ...

anyone here drive a street bike w/o blinkers? ever been harassed? i live in oklahoma and we don't have inspections. i drive my bike ALOT because i don't own a car. i bought some smaller ones but i can't even get them to work right w/ the relay that is on there stock. should i just roll sans blinkers???

I don't have any street bikes with signals since everything I have with a license plate is also a race bike too. I have not been bothered by the cops. You would have to check the state laws to see what they are. In some states if you have signals on the bike, they have to work, but if you don't have any then you are legal. In some states if the bike originally had signals then you have to keep them and they have to work.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

I live in Austin, TX, and my RD currently does not have blinkers on it. I got pulled over today by a cop and he only mentioned my expired registration. I got off with a warning. Who knows what he was looking for....
    -fang
    Even the softest of things can pass through The Fang.mp3 like invisible water.
    Tired of eating CRAP!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

off come the blinkers. until a cop gives me some crap about it.

in my state, anything pre '74 doesnt have to have blinkers...but they USUALLY wont do anything to you as long as you are giving hand signals. i found some really small ones that i am going to use on my RD just to be safe though. my cousin's '71 harley didnt have blinkers and i just used signals. the only time i hated not having blinkers was at a 4 way intersection, nobody knew where i was wanting to go and i was the vulnerable one out on the bike. its a convience thing for me
    --Tyler
    1976 RD400
    Best Flattrack Site On The Net! www.fightfordirttrack.com

quote:Originally posted by Fang

I live in Austin, TX, and my RD currently does not have blinkers on it. I got pulled over today by a cop and he only mentioned my expired registration. I got off with a warning. Who knows what he was looking for....
    -fang
    I think the law in Texas is if blinkers are present they must work. But you're ok if you don't have any. He probably wanted to oggle your sweet ride.

my .02:

forgetting to turn a winker off is FAR more dangerous than using hand signals as far as i'm concerned and since i can never remember to do it, i don't ever use 'em, even if the bike i'm on has 'em. not to mention, cagers tend to see a hand in the air before a flasher and to me, that's a more effective.

as a reformed competative road cyclist, i've spent COUNTLESS hours pitting my grossly outgunned wits against motorists and can attest to how effect an arm in the air can be.

if you reduce it to simply making your intentions known to everyone around you, i think hand signals work better, regardless whether or not they know what you're trying to say! all you really need to do from a safety perspective is get their attention.
    iphone generated fag

in Ok, turn signals are not required on 2004 or older motorcycles. 2005 and up need to have them. In Ok you don't have state inspections but, worse for you, any cop who feels your bike is unsafe can pull you over and make you submit to an onsight inspection then and there. I don't like these systems because they are usually just another license for the cop to be a dick, but even if he yanks you it won't be for the blinkers.

I live in NY where the law is 1985 and newer must have them, and if your model bike came with them you must have them. I don't have them on my 1978 supersport and a few times when the bike was parked beat officers have mentioned it to me but have not done anything about it.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

blinkers....... wots that? sounds fancy and new fangled

I don't run blinkers on anything except I will leave the Seca stock

I don't run rear view mirrors on hardly anything

Many of my builds don't even have a brake light wired up

most all have straight pipes or louder

most of the times I've seen the party lights and actually pulled over.... I've been lucky and the officer started checking my ride out then rightfully felt sorry for me having to suffer such crap

and no tickets
    Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

quote:Originally posted by HackAsaw

blinkers....... wots that? sounds fancy and new fangled

I don't run rear view mirrors on hardly anything

Damn, I can't ride a motorcycle 10 feet without mirrors. In Houston, its a death sentence. At least 3 times in the last 10 years I've had to abruptly depart my position at a red light to escape certain death from behind.

Sponsored Links