Aftermarket CB750 Front Suspension
Close

This is a discussion on Aftermarket CB750 Front Suspension within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I tried a search but the server kept timing out. Are there any aftermarket options for a front suspension for a CB750K5? I was hoping ...

mut

I tried a search but the server kept timing out.

Are there any aftermarket options for a front suspension for a CB750K5?

I was hoping that there are modern forks out there that just slide into the triple tree.

My suspensions seems really soft, even though I have new seals and oil (not new springs)

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Mut

Try new springs. I like Progressive Suspension. You can try adding some preload spacers to your existing springs. I have used a 1 - 2" piece of pvc pipe. What weight oil did you use. You might want to try a slightly heavier oil.
    Changing front suspension to something more modern is not difficult, but you won't be able to just slide new tubes into your triple clamps. You have 35mm fork tubes and everything more modern of that size would be for a substantially lighter smaller bike. In order to get something suitable, you will need to look at front ends in the 38 - 41mm size. I found a set of VF750 Interceptor forks on e-bay for under $50. I still haven't put them on anything yet, but have several possible plans for them. The easiest swap is to find a Honda front suspension that will match up with just mixing and matching bearings to fit the existing steering neck in the frame. The other way is to replace the steering stem on the new triple clamps with the one out of the original triple clamps. This may require some machine work or welding, but is relatively easy and guaranteed to fit. I prefer to get a complete front end including brakes and wheel so I know the brake spacing and such are correct, to start with. With Honda it is pretty easy to mix and match wheels and brakes t get the size and style of wheel that you want.
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

XS650 forks will work.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

They may work, but are they going to be any better? If they are 35mm and of the same vintage, why change? The only slight advantage is that the brake calipers would be better.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

racetech sells cartridge emulators for the cb750. I hear they are hard to get a hold of but they are a new product.

NO there are modern 35mm forks that I am aware of. Even the 250cc bikes use bigger forks these days.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

the way I see it, you'd be wasting your time fooling with anything 35mm on a bike so heavy

easy enough to put any numbers of front ends on that bike

especially if you do an adapatation with timken tapered bearings

they do still put 35's on 125 cc dirt bikes, and handful of small street bikes, and 50cc racers

in my opinion, the CB750 forks are just as good, if not better than the XS650 forks

at least you can replace the bushings in them when they are worn out instead of having to replace both tubes and lower legs

neither of them are much count at all when one considers their strength, weight, and actual damping

however, if you like the name Cerriani

you could slide a set of those legs up in the trees but I really think it would be a waste of money

even if you didn't pay large for the road going versions

they too are too weak for such a heavy bike

why not snag something massive and light off even an early 80's liter bike?

for example

a GS1100 from that time would have 42's on it, both lighter and stronger than those thick wall 35's, far better bydraulics, clean trees which like clip ons, and it is possible to adapt them to a CB750 head stock

and easy enough to snag a pair with trees for less than the cost of new tubes and bushings even at dealer cost

there are many others which could be used too but if you are vintage racing and stuck with 35's

I think the stockers work as well as most anything would on such a heavy bike and I'd say the hydraulics inside the 35's fitted to my 82 Seca Turbo are as good or even far better than even some vintage Cerriani road race forks

but they surely are too weak for that bike and the 36's off the later ones can't be worth the trouble to change them out if a guy had to pay for any of it, including the fork and trees
    Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

Sponsored Links